Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

@ianc408 go for gold mate. i had a giggle reading it back too before hitting post.

please send me the link to watch back:)

Hiker

[ New ]

It’ll be going out live on my channel on Friday night and then publish by Saturday lunch time.

This one is just lights, but I have discussed the ‘GoPro effect’ before and we had a laugh about it. Your quote just made me laugh so I thought I’d preface my boring light discussion with it!!

cheers. Ian

Hiker

[ New ]

Oops ... I was laughing so much, I forgot my channel ....

https://youtube.com/user/iancraig10

Nomad

[ New ]

Does it make sense to replace the camera for the third, fourth time ... until you get a good copy. Somewhere I read that there are good copies with no faulty sound.

Tourist

[ New ]

No do an insistance that you will get a replacement camera first as you approve before return your camera. That can GoPro do as a goodwill I think.

Nomad

[ New ]

First, I sent my camera back to Gopro. I waited 7 days and got a replacement. Only the replacement has a damaged sound also on the car lifts and the winds on :-(

Tourist

[ New ]

If there is a copy without the popping I'm yet to see it. I went through 5 exchanges with my local store here in Melbourne Australia before I decided to give up and get a refund. I still have hundreds of dollars of accessories for it and hope that a later build might fix this problem and I can buy later in the year. Unfortunately though, I suspect that you are onto something about the processor being over taxed for the Hero 9. Apparently it's the same processor since Hero 7. You can get similar popping in audio with a computer when you have a slow processor and high bitrate/audio latency settings. If it's processor there will be no fix until Hero 10.

If DJI is smart, now is the time to release an OSMO Action 2!

Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I received this mail:

Good day!

This is in regards with your case 08628058.
We can no longer proceed with the refund since as per our policy we can only process a refund for those orders within 30 days after the delivery date.
We cannot send a microphone adapter as well as it cannot solve the problem.

What we can advice is wait for the next camera update.

Please be advised that if we do not received any response from you within the next 24-48 hours, this case will be closed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be happy to help. You may request a callback or chat us via https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and reference your case number.

First of all I didn't ask a refund according to their 30 day refund policy, I'm asking for a refund regarding the EU laws about warranty of defective products. GoPro failed to repair (I even think they never actually repair a camera in the EU, only replace), replaced my defective camera with a camera having the very same issues and can't give a solution to the problem. So only step left is a refund. Even giving me a free audio adapter during the time the issue isn't solved was no option for them.

This is the warranty for the EU on their own help pages:

The statutory – legal guarantee covers the productions defects of the products and of the accessories GoPro for a period of 2 years from the original purchase day and this guarantee can be enforced by the consumer within 2 months from the discovery of the defect. We suggest, for this reason, to keep your receipt (tax receipt at purchase) or other similar document received when you pick up the product. In case of conformity defect, the consumer is entitled, at its own discretion, to the repair or the substitution of the defected products by the seller, without any additional cost, save if the requested remedy is not possible or too much expensive in respect of the other. If repair or substitution are not possible, the consumer has, in any case, the right to have a reduction of the price or to have a sum proportioned to the product value paid back, against the return of the product to the seller. The above applies ONLY to consumers as defined by the Law.

I reported the problem for the first time within the 2 months after the purchase date to support, so what word of their own warranty do they don't understand?

On top of that they want to close a ticket for a problem that isn't solved, looks nice in the statistics I guess.

I've had it with GoPro, I will ask my laywer to send a regsitered letter the EU distributor for GoPro.

Nomad

[ New ]

I have the same problem as most of the people here. The answer to wait for the next update does the trick, according to gopro. Again, this is a scandal.

Nomad

[ New ]

i want to see gopro admit to their failings and unjust treatment of customers - sending a refirb unit to replace a brand new dead on arrival isn't how it should work.

if you need numbers try these i found - haven't called one myself yet

courtesy of https://clicklikethis.com/gopro-phone-number/ 

• Toll Free in the United States: (888) 600-4659
  • Outside of Continental United States: (650) 980-0252

Hours of operation:

• Monday – Friday (local business hours)

Argentina

+541159841580

Australia

+61 2 85203208
+61 1 300137021 (Toll Free)
@GoProANZ

Austria

+43720816810

Brazil

+551149509290
+558007618764 (Toll Free)
@GoProBR

Chile

+56228999370

China

Beijing (+86) 10 5904 5282
National (+86) 400 889 7084

Denmark

+45 36 92 78 03

France

+33 1 79 99 40 04
@GoProFr

Germany

+49 892 10933 55

Hong Kong

+852 58084305

Indonesia

+62 1 803-0172614

Ireland

+353 1 486 1270

Israel

+972 773 174 333

Italy

+39 02 3631 1460
@GoProIT

Korea

+82260222439

Japan

+81 3 4578 9618
@GoProJP

Mexico

+525541693260
@GoProMX

Netherlands

+31 20 708 4090

New Zealand

+64 9 8874305
+64 8 00995072 (Toll Free)

Norway

+47 21 03 30 92

Portugal

+351 30 880 1840

Singapore

+65 31582600

South Africa

+27 10 500 1991

Spain

+34 93 184 5140
@GoProES

Sweden

+46 8 4650 5810

Switzerland

+41 22 588 3000

Thailand

+66 60 0035255

United Kingdom

+44 20 7084 9725
+44 800 845 6998 (Toll Free)
@GoProUK

This list of phone numbers is a result of lots of research. Let me know if I’m missing one.

Tourist

[ New ]

@manfrednt wrote:

I have the same problem as most of the people here. The answer to wait for the next update does the trick, according to gopro. Again, this is a scandal.

They are just buying time, that's all!

My advice if you live in the EU, report the problem to support as fast as you can so you are withing the 2 months time limit. To be honnest my lawyer doesn't think that it is legal to set a time limit as long as you can somehow prove the problem was there already from the beginning, this thread being some kind of proof.

Nomad

[ New ]

I bought the camera from the very beginning as it appeared. I knew about the problem with the sound but hoped that future updates would solve the problem. Now there is nothing else to do but send the camera to the complaint and hope that I will finally get a new one without this problem. It seems to me that with this letter they closed the way to another camera replacement.

[quote]Hi Robert,

Good day!

Our team is aware of this issue, and we regret any inconvenience may cause. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a solution to resolve the problem. We will do our best to notify you if a fix is found, and please keep an eye out for updates to the product, which may include changes that resolve the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Please be advised that if we do not received any response from you within the next 24-48 hours, this case will be closed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be happy to help. You may request a callback or chat us via https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and reference your case number.

Many thanks,
GoPro Support
http://gopro.com/support/
ref:_00Do0HJuF._5003b1YhPJA:ref

[/quote]

Hiker

[ New ]
Unfortunately big companies seem to think it’s ok to have policies that don’t follow the law in countries/areas where they sell. We had Dell treat us the same as GoPro are now acting here in Australia. We had a 4K (and quite expensive) monitor that died about 3 months after purchase. Got a replacement and that died in a month. The next replacement only lasted 2 weeks. At this point we asked for a refund, since clearly that model was a complete lemon, and Dell refused, just parroting the same line about their policy, even though it breaks Australian consumer law. Long story short we reported it to the appropriate government authority in Australia and eventually got our money back. Keep pressing it with the right channels and don’t let them get away with it. These companies rely on people just accepting what they’re told and giving up. Don’t give up. They can’t just refuse a refund even though it violates the law where you live.
Nomad

[ New ]

Has anyone received a replacement that does not have this defect? I request information.

Hiker

[ New ]

Oggi mi è arrivata la Hero 9 sostitutiva e con immenso piacere il problema dell'audio non c'è più

finalmente appena accesa da fredda non registra più quei rumori fastidiosi.

Andrea

Nomad

[ New ]

Nice to hear @andregixxer , then I'm replacing mine as well.

Hiker

[ New ]

Il problema c'è ancora...ma è molto ridotto rispetto a quella che possedevo prima

Non è risolto al 100%

Nomad

[ New ]

Andrea Check: I had the same case several times. Like a cold silence. When I warmed up the camera, I turned it on again, I had an irritating sound.

Hiker

[ New ]

Quella precedente ( entrambe le precedenti per essere precisi ) da fredde davano un problema fastidiosissimo simile a scariche elettriche; questa invece non lo fa....da fredda ( accesa dopo un'ora di riposo ) senza riduzione del rumore del vento invece fa qualche "stick" ogni tanto....di certo non si può definire esente dal problema.

andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

@manfrednt I had my GoPro8 replaced 3 times, and then returned it for a refund and purchased the GoPro 9. All four cameras had the same lockup fault. I would say that GoPro have some severe quality control issues. It is impossible to get hold of anyone from support, at least here in NZ. I have not dealt with a company before with such lack of care of their customers, or a company that launches a product with so many issues, of which many of them will never be fixed.

Hiker

[ New ]

@eski79 Thanks for sharing the contact numbers. I tried calling the New Zealand freephone number but it doesn't work, so I called the Auckland number, was give a message that the wait time was less than 2 minutes, and then after 2 minutes the call was disconnected. This is the kind of customer experience I have become used to when dealing with GoPro support.

GoPro

Re: Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

The audio issue has been reported to the team.

We'll post back once new information is available.

If you need to reach out to Support, you may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.
You may also try a different browser or go on incognito mode.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

Re: Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Hello EJ,

To be more precise - audio issue problem was reported to the team 3 months ago :) You can find your similar post in this thread in the beginning of October.

There are no updates about this problem till now.

Tourist

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]
I have watched many gopro9 users at Chinese media platform. No one report this issue, and their GoPro audio sounds good, so this means audio pops is a hardware issue?
Nomad

[ New ]

Unless they have their cameras set to wind auto or he has no idea their camera is faulty then.

Tourist

[ New ]

Not AUTO but ON!

Most people record outside and don't hear the pops or record using an external microphone.

I'm going to test the Labs FW today, but I don't think that will solve the issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

The sound is distorted when set to wind on :-(

Tourist

[ New ]

That's true, sounds very bad when ON but it's the only mode that doesn't have the pops or they are filtered out.

I can hear the pops in both AUTO and OFF mode.

Tourist

[ New ]

No need to try out the LABS FW, it has the same popping issue as all other FW.

Great innovative FW, but useless if the issue continues to persist.

Nomad

[ New ]

The third replacement and the third camera have broken sound on win off. I don't feel like changing the camera anymore. I give up the GoPro you won.

Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm the problem is gone when using the mic. adapter. I use it with a Rode video mic, sound is way better.

But there are a few downsides: the whole gets bulky and isn't waterproof anymore. But for me it's a good temporary solution while waiting for a permanent fix.

Hiker

[ New ]
@myriamb3268 yes, its true. But at the moment the media mod we should get for free. Why we have to pay extra for extra equipment. It’s **bleep**ing @GoPro issue and they should find solution very fast. **bleep** company... Never more!!!
Nomad

[ New ]

Guys watch out I just replaced my GoPro 9 and the sound is good (how it should be), also had a problem in 1.5 vertical lines in slowmotion and it's also gone.

The first thing I did was charge the battery then a manual 1.5 Update install and everything good.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

Do you record in WIND OFF by the internal microfons? NOT VIA THE MEDIA MOD! And the camera has to be in cold start mode.

Tourist

[ New ]

@isaakonfire hope you could do more tests and come back to tell us the result. I did a few tests when I got my replaced Gopro 9, and its audio sounded very good. After more tests, I was too naive.

Nomad

[ New ]

@ruokunx055 This was with the faulty Gopro (on a tripod, total "silence" in my house, volume turned up, the neighbours noises have been erased): https://youtu.be/i2kPGWdGhtU

With the replaced new one, on a tripod I can leave as long and as many times it doesn't pop. I won't upload 5 min. + audio samples with soundwaves graphics.

But it's when I grab it with the hand, still making tests when I can, that sometimes pops here and there, sometimes it doesn't at all, in part it's clearly because I'm rubbing it with the hand. But with out handling nothing, no pops.

Nomad

[ New ]

BTW the vertical line is still in my replaced Gopro firmware 1.5, I was wrong, tested with Wide FOV ( very dumb actually my previous Gopro was Ok too with Wide) and called victory but no, it's still there in all (recti)Linear modes with x8 slowmotion.

Tourist

[ New ]

OT: I tried to replicate the vertical line issue to no avail. Can you give me the exact settings?

I'm on the LABS FW, maybe it is fixed in that release.

Nomad

[ New ]

With 240 fps may appear during the first minute or so but in 200 fps appears immediately when hitting record (only is visible when recording not before). I always use it in Linear FOV but in Wide mode it doesn't. Also, only in firmware 1.5

Tourist

[ New ]

Ah OK, didn't know you already tried out the LABS FW.

The Mic adapter seems to work pretty good as a temporary solution to the popping issue, but the lack of the volume bars like the Media mod is having is a certainly minus. I found the Mic+ setting to be too much amplified for the Rode Videomic and Rode Go, looking at the db in Davinci Resolve the volume is quite often in the red. The Mic (without +) setting seems to be fine.

If you want to use the Mic adapter you'll also need a case like the one from SmallRig or the Ulanzi G9-14 that I bought as otherwise the dongle keeps on banging to the GoPro or microphone. The adapter cable is stiff and very short. The metal Ulanzi case is quite heavy but also protects the GoPro in some way, only need to test if it shortens the range of BT and Wifi signals.

The QR code of LABS FW is a great alternative to the unresponsiveness of the touchscreen and dropouts in the BT connection. 

Nomad

[ New ]

To me GoPro Labs update don't make any difference with pops or without and with the vertical line issue.

Don't know about media mods, but being GoPro a waterproof camera with 3 sealed microphones ( 3 ain't it?) I suspect the problem is the preamps, which often pro video cameras incorporate, to lower or higher the imput volume, that would be a very nice thing for GoPro Lab to implement.

I have a strong suspicion that GoPro 9 is pushing the input volume of sealed mics to high turning in a super sensitive receptors prompt to popping when that high signal collapses.

I'm not an audio technician and maybe I'm wrong but without preamps it's impossible to test.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I tested my camera and I can confirm that the left side of the screen is darker compared to the right side at 200 fps.  When I move the camera left to right the vertical line doesn't stay at exact 1/2 screen width. 

But we better discuss this issue in another thread as it is a bit OT here.

My replacement cam is having almost every issue mentioned on this forum except the overheating, my original camera had that problem too.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

My GoPro Hero 9 seems to have the same audio pops.

Newest firmware installed.

Is there any idea if this is really a hardware problem and the camera needs to be returned?

Cheers

Tourist

[ New ]

I just got set up to edit all the footage I've been taking since I picked up my Hero 9 last fall and found out that literally all of my files have this audio pop problem. :'(

Extremely annoyed that all the audio commentary I had is basically useless.

Stationary or moving doesn't seem to matter, although moving does make it worse. I have footage both with and without the media mod (and with and without an external mic on the media mod) and in all cases have the popping.

I strongly suspect the earlier post about the preamps being the problem is correct.

I hope there's a solution in the works... I'm off ot check with support about exchanging my camera since it sounds like not all of the units have the problem and I may have just been unlucky.

(And yeah, maybe I shouldn't have waited months to even look at the footage I shot... shame on me for expecting the product to work?)

Nomad

[ New ]

Please, your exchange will not do you any good. I received three and all three have the same sound defect.

Tourist

[ New ]
Are all you guys that recieved replacement cameras sure you've got new one? Did you check serial numbers or something? Because I don't get how can so many cameras on the market be faulty. Are there any proper 9s on the market at all? I'm amazed and shocked how is the GoPro (not) handling this case.
Hiker

[ New ]
2 hero9 with the same issues. GoPro is parody with the quality control and support. This two tings don’t exist in this company. They don’t care about theirs customers.
Tourist

[ New ]

@kyzo wrote:
Are all you guys that recieved replacement cameras sure you've got new one? Did you check serial numbers or something? 

My replacement came as an "open box", so not original packaging but it looked brand new or very well refurbished. The serial was higher.

I'm not accepting any more replacements as they don't check the camera they are sending to you although they do promise to do so. In the EU most shipments are done from ModusLink in Holland but that's just a logistic hub, I don't think there are any GoPro technicians there. It is almost impossible to contact this company, seems they work for many other brands too.

A few weeks ago I finally got the support guy so far to send me a mic. adapter for free. I accepted this as a temporary solution, I repeated several times I didn't accept it as a final solution but wanted to give them some time to solve the issue. He said clearly that he understood and even if I will get a refund at the end I don't have to return the mic. adapter. At least I can use the camera now with a Rode Video microphone, quality is much better. But I live in Belgium where it rains a lot and this solution is not waterproof.

Nomad

[ New ]

Does anyone have information when this fault will be fixed?

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree as they have said in previous messages, I think the best way to get a solution for this problem is to keep on posting about this issue on all social media, comment on every GoPro 9 influencer video on YouTube so customers will refrain from buying these products.