Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Congrats for the 250th post in this thread!

A thread with +250 posts is not important to them. Or they refuse to answer because... they have no answer; "When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?"

Next test: I pre-heated the camera for 1/2 haor connected to a powerbank, then I started recording for 2 minutes. Same same, many pops but maybe a little bit less louder.

Hiker

[ New ]

it has nothing to do with the temperature, as we have proved already.

i really hope that its just firmware issue. anyone still on older version other than 1.22 to confirm if it was present back then?

Hiker

[ New ]
la mia seconda Hero9 l'ho testata prima di effettuare l'aggiornamento ed il problema era presente anche con la versione 1.0 del FW
Hiker

[ New ]
@myriamb

tutte le volte che ho chiesto news sul problema mi è stato risposto "è sotto investigazione"

nulla di più
Hiker

[ New ]

Non sono d'accordo che la Hero7 sia l'ultima fotocamera "OK" di GoPro....essendo passato dalla 5,6,7,8 ed ora alla 9 ti posso garantire che la Hero 8 è veramente perfetta...mai un blocco, qualità ottima e stabilizzazione da paura.

Non tornerei mai alla 7 ... ma avendo pagato per la 9 pretendo che sia sistemata a dovere !

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

@andregixxer 

That was just my personal opinion, Hero8 was not that much of an improvement to make me want to upgrade.

When i talked to the support they didnt even know this issue existed, and they were not aware of this thread either..

Nomad

[ New ]

Nikt nie pokusił się o to aby włączyć kamerę. Włączyc nagrywanie. Nastepnie wcisnąc stop i włączyć odtwarzanie? Jeszcze bardziej przeraża mnie jak straciłem swoje pieniądze :-)

Hiker

[ New ]

@boznoz 

dipende dall'uso che ne fai, se fai TimeLapse e riprese video a mano libera camminando non c'è alcun vantaggio nel passare dalla hero 7 alla 8/9...ma se fai MTB, Snowboard etc dove la stabilizzazione fa la differenza dalle Hero 7 alla Hero 8 i vantaggi sono enormi.

Resta ad ogni modo un'opinione personale ma la modalità Boost della Hero8 da dei risultati incredibili rispetto alla 7; il sensore ovviamente essendo il medesimo da gli stessi risultati in situazioni "controllate".

Andrea

Nomad

[ New ]

Co to ma wspólnego z tym tematem?

Hiker

[ New ]

It might well be easier for GoPro to claim that they know nothing about the issue or this thread!

I still wonder about the processor being driven into the ground in order to do the massive stabilisation and give that stilted looking picture on the front. Perhaps the audio converter was switched off on the first update in order to allow the processor to sort out the stabilisation and that is the reason why it runs so hot and we get those audio pops because the processor is struggling.

it’s certainly not good for a camera to heat up like this one does and if anyone has seen a lithium battery go up in flames, it’s terrible. I once did it when I crashed an RC helicopter. I couldn’t put the fire out. So if the battery is getting too hot, the camera could prove to be dangerous; especially in hot climates.

Of course GoPro are going to claim no knowledge .....

We are wasting our time talking to the script readers on customer support. Soon, I think many people might start believing that they are wasting their time with the GoPro and won’t be even considering a 10. GoPro have messed up with this one.

Tourist

[ New ]

@ianc408 

I fly RC drones, the selfmade kind and a DJI mavic for the nice pictures. I know what you mean when a LiPo gets puffed or overheated. Don't really want that to happen when the camera is near my face.

If those script readers don't know what is happening on the forum, I give up. I posted a link to the thread the other day, can't tell if they actually read the thread. They are just a talking FAQ.

Hiker

[ New ]
NEW FIRMWARE
17/12/2020
This is the date when all our problems will be fixed 😉✌️🍀
Nomad

[ New ]

@boznoz after owning the 8 (after a 3, then 5), selling that to go to the 9 was my biggest buyers remorse i'd experienced - litterally nothing worked including my remote. wish i never took the plunge - gimmiks over function.

however found a bargain near new 7 and haven't looked back. all my accessories work. this might be the last action camera i buy unless something out of this world tempts me and am open to other brands considering i have to start again regardless

Tourist

[ New ]

The list does not indicate to fix bugs)

Hiker

[ New ]

@maxshooter where did you find that info?

Tourist

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

Nie ma żadnej informacji o tym, że gopro chce naprawić problem z dźwiękiem. Wg nich nie ma żadnego problemu.

Hiker

[ New ]

So basically, and update that gives access to a remote control. Yet another gizmo without specifically talking about what the camera improvements are.

How strange that no mention is made of an audio fix for the adapter .....

Nomad

[ New ]

I think if they release a remote, and dont fix the other issues with adio etc, I think a lot of people will just return them and move on to something else.. I know I will..

Noting more useless than a camera that doesnt actually work..

Cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

Come può GoPro pensare che io possa acquistare un telecomando aggintivo se non mi da sicurezza che l'actioncam sia completamente funzionante almeno qualche giorno prima ? io lo comprerei il telecomando perche mi serve.... ma non lo farò certo fintanto che sarà presente questo problema ai microfoni.

Se non verrà sistemato nemmeno con questo FW per gopro ci saranno grandi problemi.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes. I have had three camera now, all with the audio pops. I have tried all the firmware options, different memory cards and different settings. This has to be a hardware issue. GoPro is a joke to me now.
Tourist

3 faulty cameras and a refusal to refund...

[ New ]

Hi there. I feel I have to share my Hero 9 experience in the hope that potential new customers avoid buying one.

I have been a GoPro user for over 3 years and used a number of their cameras, the Hero 5 Black and the Hero 7 Black. In that time I have established a YouTube channel and I have shared my love for their products with all my viewers and followers.

I was really excited about the Hero 9, especially the Max lens mod with horizon levelling. I therefore bought an early Hero 9 with so that I could get in early.

The first camera had terrible audio popping from the right channel. To get round the issue I tried every variable I could from wind settings to ISO settings, camera resets, different memory cards but to no avail. I tried to return the camera but this proved very difficult. Firstly to contact support. Secondly, they then asked for video evidence which I supplied in a YouTube link. After 1 week no one had looked at the link so I phoned back and they decided they would replace it without seeing the video.

I was pretty disappointed by this point already. However things have got worse. I have now had THREE cameras. Everyone they replace has the same issue. Last week I had finally had enough, with no confidence that they can provide me with a working Hero 9. I asked for a refund. Guess what? They refused. Because it was more than 50 days since my initial purchase even though I have had no useable camera in that time.

They are now sending me a fourth. I am stuck in a replacement loop. I have decided that when the fourth arrives I will check it. If it does not work I will get the cost back through my credit card insurance. I will also never by one of their products again out of principle.

So, if you are thinking of buying one don’t. There is at least a batch of cameras out there that do not work. Given that I am now about to receive my fourth I seriously doubt any of them are without fault.

GoPro should be sickened by the way they treat loyal customers. I notice that they are no longer commenting on this thread despite it being 34 pages long.

Hiker

Re: 3 faulty cameras and a refusal to refund...

[ New ]

Terrible. There are so many reports of poor customer service.

My GoPro is never used and I can’t return it now. It’s just not fit for purpose. Popping audio, audio adapter that might work by Christmas, it gets hot, it locks up, it turns itself on and off, the GoPro colour can be very strange, and to think, it costs over £400, unless you subscribe to their service.

I’m getting very frustrated by GoPro and I’m starting to think they won’t be around for a GoPro 10, unless all the income fro these dreadful cameras has helped to bolster them.

I will never buy a GoPro again and I’ve given up with them. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@foggycave16882 wrote:

I was pretty disappointed by this point already. However things have got worse. I have now had THREE cameras. Everyone they replace has the same issue. Last week I had finally had enough, with no confidence that they can provide me with a working Hero 9. I asked for a refund. Guess what? They refused. Because it was more than 50 days since my initial purchase even though I have had no useable camera in that time.

Same here, but the girl gave as reason not to refund me I now didn't have "a brand new camera" but "a replacement". The replacement was at that time 2 days old, had a later serial number and so on. 

I also noticed something odd on Belgian TV. Most of the official TV channels used GoPros for action shots in travel programmes, in car shots and shots where the actors had to film their own content. But now I saw for the first time they were using DJI Osmo Pockets. Maybe they also had issues with GoPro and their support?

I also tried to get help from GoPro over facebook's official GoPro page. Don't bother to try that, they just send you a link to the support page on their website. I'm going to read the fine print of my CC company to find out if they will refund me.

Hiker

[ New ]
Can I use that as a quote in my live stream next week please? I'm doing something on the GoPro.
Tourist

[ New ]
Of course! I think I'm going to do a video also. I have 3.5k Subs so it will help get these stories out there.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you!
Tourist

[ New ]

I did some testing.

The audio popping problem is caused by having Wind: AUTO & using the battery. If I set Wind to Off or On, it works fine. No popping.

Solutions:

- the problem only happens when using the BATTERY. If you use the USB-charging cable (NO BATTERY), there is no popping

- buy the media mod

It seems to be a hardware issue but only when using BATTERY + WIND: AUTO

Another possible solution:

- buy the battery charger & charge batteries only externally, not charging the GoPro battery when in the camera

Hiker

[ New ]

@zippyjump215 

nope, this might have applied to your particular unit, but thats not the overall issue.

I had pops in all modes, wind auto, on, off,  raw audio, any combination.

What i didnt try was recording while battery is out, but thats nonsense. Imagine buying a car with faulty engine and the advice you get from dealership is to remove the engine and push the car from behind.

Hiker

[ New ]

Those are more like desperate workarounds, not solutions. Only solution here is that Gopro fixes the firmware if doable or recalls the cameras if it's a hardware problem.

Fortunately I have a very long and good relationship with my local Gopro retailer. They promised me a longer return period so I can wait if next firmware update fixes the problem. I've owned four Hero 9s at this point, all with popping audio. I still got two and they are going back in case Gopro are not able to fix this. Let's hope so. And let's also hope DJI action 2 release is going to happen soon.

Nomad

[ New ]

Im going to get the New Osmo whatever they do.. every release the GoPro is rubbish, they make it slightly better, then bring out a new onel with a heap of issues, and never fix the last issues.. They can shove it.. The never communicate, have no support, and produce rubbish.. 

I have steered around 10 people away from GoPro, and I will not let anyone I know in the market for an action cam, buy a gopro..

Nomad

[ New ]

i don't like seeing companies fail but when they can't make a working product or even have a glimmer of customer support; then its time to step down and take the walk of shame and let someone who cares take over.

everything they make is so 1/2 @rsed and never finished, cameras don't work as marketed, software doesn't work, apps don't work, remotes don't work but their foam floaties do. Support doesn't work, chat doesn't work, callbacks don't work, forum has no structure and only copy paste replies.......... bit of a trend going here

RIP

Tourist

[ New ]

@zippyjump215 wrote:

I did some testing.

The audio popping problem is caused by having Wind: AUTO & using the battery. If I set Wind to Off or On, it works fine. No popping.

Solutions:

- the problem only happens when using the BATTERY. If you use the USB-charging cable (NO BATTERY), there is no popping

- buy the media mod

It seems to be a hardware issue but only when using BATTERY + WIND: AUTO

Another possible solution:

- buy the battery charger & charge batteries only externally, not charging the GoPro battery when in the camera

I cannot confirm this, I tested with a decent 3A USB C power adapter and removed the battery, still popping as usual. So for me the battery is not to blaim.

Tourist

[ New ]
My solution is set bit rate as high 1080p50spf
Tourist

[ New ]
Kind of defeats the purpose of owning a 4K action camera if that is the solution.
Hiker

[ New ]

Here's what @mariustanya from Gopro just answered in another thread.

"Our Product team is evaluating the issue. We have reported this to them and have submitted sample clips showing as well. There is quite a challenge identifying the issue as there are different settings to be considered and the behavior is intermittent despite multiple instances and users affected. We are on the lookout for updates from the team and will definitely post updates once we get new information."

Let's hope it goes well. I'm digging Hero 9 and really hope they'll find the solution.

Hiker

[ New ]

questo sta a significare che non sarà presente la correzione con l'uscita del FW del giorno 17; quindi se va bene ci toccherà aspettare altri X mesi per la prossima release....no, non ci siamo non va bene

se questo FW non sistema il POP audio mi arrabbio moltissimo, la pazienza è terminata

Andrea

Tourist

[ New ]
Спи спокойно GoPro. Очень надеюсь что это была последняя твоя камера и ты уйдешь с рынка, освободив место более талантливым ребятам.
Hiker

[ New ]

can anyone please test the latest fw 1.50 and confirm if the audio issue has been addressed?

Sadly my H9 is still on its way as i sent it in for replacement.

Hiker

[ New ]

It’s listed, but I can’t get it to download. I’m guessing it’s not there yet.

it fixes the audio adapter and remote, so they say, but no mention of internal audio, so my guess is that the internal audio issue hasn’t been fixed.

it would be nice tobe able to download it.

Hiker

[ New ]

yeah, someone confirmed in the other thread that audio from media mod is working ok,  but i wonder if they by any chance done something to the onboard audio , intentionaly or not.

I am definitely not going to get a media mod , i just want the ambient audio to be present in some situations

Hiker

[ New ]

fw update supposedly works when updating via app,  package for manual update has not been uploaded it seems

Hiker

[ New ]
I did everything manually. Have 1.5 in my camera now.
Hiker

[ New ]

Ah. OK thank you. You’ve saved me some faffing around. Been checking the serial number, etc., but it doesn’t download. I’ll wait. I prefer a manual update and that’s always what they always suggest  ifrpthere are problems so I’ll do it from the start!

Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm you, same **bleep** popping sound! Now I'm finished with GoPro!!!

Hiker

[ New ]
Maybe this is going by regions or serial numbers. I am living in Norway and get the FW about 16:00 o’clock😉
Hiker

[ New ]

OK. I put in the serial number and clicked  ‘next’ and nothing happened.

i checked my serial number and all was correct.

Maybe it’s being done by region.

Same about that popping. I don’t use the GoPro at all at the moment either. I’m on the brink of giving up with it as well tbh.

Nomad

[ New ]

The crackles are still in my webcam on the wind off :-(

Hiker

[ New ]
I can confirm also. Nothing change about the pooping. 🤬😩🤯😱
Hiker

[ New ]

******************* GoPro.