Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

i totally hear you @myriamb3268. i've owned most since the 3+Black and Gopro have turned into a faceless company wanting to sell boxes at any cost - a shadow of its former self.

Since upgrading from my 8 (which the non replaceable lens scared me in mx and impact sports) to the 9 which then lost the remote i used on the handles i was forced to buy a 7 - which i'm happy with not costing me a cent along the way selling out.

i have no pity or sympothy for Gopro (this is their path of choice); i'm not invested to much in their products anymore - sometimes a company left out to dry and needs to be made an example of for others not to follow their footsteps. set a precident and say bye. I have

sorry about the memories you can't replace because of junk product you paid top dollar for

Tourist

[ New ]

@eski79 : I was so stupid to sell my 7 to a friend. It was a nice camera, even with the short battery life when it's cold. I kept the 8 despite the lack of a replaceable lens cover, but I like the "lab" features. Changing settings in the field using a QR code is great and innovative, I even don't mind beta testing their firmware. 
I bought the 9 because of the lens mod, still unavailable in EU BTW, and the horizon leveling. But I don't always want to record the sound on my Roland R07, it too much a hassle. And I also don't want to sell a defective camera second hand.

So if GoPro support can't help me the only option left is to spam every Youtube influencer video with my complaints about this piece of **bleep**.

Hiker

[ New ]

In postproduzione anche l'audio può essere sistemato qualora di parli di POP sparsi qui e li....l'editing di una traccia audio è comunque una cosa fattibilissima e ci sono numorosi modi per sistemare un problema di questa entità.

Tuttavia non è una giustificazione ad un problema che ad oggi non ha ricevuto ancora alcuna attenzione da parte di GoPro che si limita a dire "è sotto investigazione" che non vuol dire assolutamente nulla.....anzi, è preoccupante che dopo cosi tanti mesi non si sappia ancora nulla.

Non so che dire, sono demoralizzato, sto usando la Hero 8 che invece funziona benissimo....la Hero 9 è sopra al comodino a prendere polvere in attesa di capire se devo restituirla o meno.

Almeno i vari "bot" qui dentro hanno smesso di scrivere le stesse identiche cose 100 volta : hai aggiornato il FW ? hai una MicroSD decente ? etc etc.....ora c'è il silenzio stampa.

Nomad

[ New ]

Nie da się naprawić dźwięku w postprodukcji. A jesli nawet to mało kto ma na to czas i odpowiednie oprogramowanie. Chyba nie o to chodzi!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

@andregixxer : I agree with you that most of the pops can be edited out in post, but in a lengthy video I don't want to flatten out hundreds of pops by hand. The frequency of these pops is not like a static click (very high in frequency) so it's harder to do automated. It just takes too much time, and like you said it should be working without any issues out of the box.

Hiker

[ New ]

@myriamb3268 concordo, è per questo che mi tocca utilizzare la hero 8 :(

Hiker

[ New ]

Actually, it would be easier to use a separate recorder than edit out the pops.

I use a lav attached to a mini Tascam recorder and leave it recording all of the time and line the clips up with the audio clip.

A bit ott though for an action cam!

Hiker

[ New ]

uso la Hero8/Hero9/Max correndo in MTB e facendo Snowboard...se dovessi utilizzare un registratore esterno ( anche io possiedo un Tascam ) sarebbe davvero pericoloso cadere :D senza contare che il Tascam non è waterproof.

Hiker

[ New ]
It’s very sad, that we all are looking any solution how to fix the problem. Only @GoPro is doing nothing, just sale....🤦‍♂️🤬
Tourist

[ New ]

Received a refund for the camera after 11 days of waiting. I will follow the situation in this thread. If the problem is not solved I don't even know to wait for H10 or Osmo2.

Nomad

[ New ]

Czy naprawdę nikt nie widzi tego wątku z pracowników Gopro? Dlaczego nikt nie pofatyguję się aby udzielić odpowiedzi kiedy dźwięk w tej kamerze zostanie naprawiony.

Tourist

[ New ]

@manfrednt No, they don't seem to care at all. Selling cameras with issues during Black Friday is all that matters. So sad!

Hiker

[ New ]

Unfortunately, I feel that GoPro have lost their way. Just selling as many units as possible has been their goal for quite some time since past cameras have shown. There is a yearly release and the new camera has problems. They then go through hoops providing fixes on their updates for their grateful customers and the following year, the new one appears and the whole process starts again.

it’s not a fantastic way to treat customers, but they are a business and that’s what I think has really changed them since the 5. They are merely selling as many cameras as possible rather than making a camera that has been tested properly before release. We are the testers and then the camera is abandoned.

There Hero 9 has done them no favours for next year and anyone who bought one might well be catious from now on about any new release from GoPro. I won’t be back unless someone has something new from them and it works really well. Even then, I will wait to see if any problems emerge, so it isn’t going to be easy for them.

Tourist

[ New ]

What I don't understand is that none of the issues mentioned here on the forum like GPS, image quality, delayed recordings and sound pops are mentioned by the YouTubers. I can't imagine they are all payed publicity, some of them must be honnest people?

Hiker

[ New ]

I've been wondering the same. The only channel I've seen telling the truth about Hero 9 is Camera conspiracies. They are not paying him, that's for sure. He's been beating Hero 9 well :)

Hiker

[ New ]
The big name reviewers may buy the camera, but many get a review sample- at no cost.

Also, hype helps us forget negative things and focus on the good.
When reviews are released at the same time (within days) no one wants to be “that guy” among the known reviewers- got keep people pumped for the review and the product.
Hiker

[ New ]
Some are paid, others are provided with free samples for review on condition that reviews won’t be critical. None of the mentioned youtuber categories wants to lose that relationship with a paying company. Another thing is that the flaws are critical to some but completely irrelevant to others, like e.g. somebody hurtling along on a bike won’t even notice any audio pops inbetween all the wind and speed racket!
Hiker

[ New ]

I have made two review videos on YouTube concerning aspects of the Hero 9, rather than the usual full review with the same stuff repeated by different YouTubers.

I pointed out a few little foibles and it instantly attracted GoPro fanboys who got offended because you have mentioned something negative so I stopped talking about the GoPro.

Big YouTubers know that by highlighting negative aspects, you are attracting these people for an argument so they don’t do it. They keep their links with the company and so are getting gear, of course but it can easily backfire on them because when everyone starts noticing problems, they look bad.

My videos were intended to warn people about the Hero 9, (in a nice way) but because of those fanboys, I stopped. That’s why you don’t see mention of this kind of thing.

However, the promised update is late now so those people who got to me on YT stating that this will be fixed etc. etc, were wrong and we STILL haven’t got the audio adapter working and we STILL have pops on internal audio.

Why do fanboys think this is reasonable?

That’s a new video for me to make plus the fact that the Hero 9 is a premium action camera that is flawed. I am biding my time, waiting for GP to get their act together and sort this or I will make a review that shows the audio problems.

if you’re scooting around on a bike, then that doesn’t matter but many people use these cameras for holiday videos. I repeat something I said earlier ..... if Sony, Canon or Panasonic released a camera like this, would we be accepting it? An M50 can be had at some good prices at the moment. The Action is way cheaper and more reliable. Why aren’t GoPro getting off their hinies and responding and fixing this piece of garbage?

Is it because they can’t fix it? That’s my suspicion. If there was a fix, it should be out like a rocket. They designed it. We are sitting with a camera in excess of £400 waiting for a silent company to bless us with a fix.

Videos might start flying on YouTube soon! GoPro will be left behind by other companies if they’re not careful. In fact, I am planning a live broadcast in a couple of weeks about this since I decided to give them until Christma to fix it. I am going to discuss it live with viewers who can also send in their comments.

Tourist

[ New ]
Successfully returned the camera back to the store. It's a pity that GoPro released a raw camera. Again. I haven't decided yet: wait for a normal, working version of GoPro 9 or buy an alternative from a competitor now - I need to think about it. The worst thing is that gopro support behaves like a pig: it glosses over the problem and does not comment on it for its customers. GoPro, with every goth you roll down, just like your cameras. And competitors are already on their heels. I feel soon GoPro slide to the final. Good-bye!
Nomad

[ New ]

Ja bedzę na rowerze i te trzaski strasznie przeszkadzają. Tak więc jesteś w błędzie :-)

Hiker

[ New ]

Good for you Tak2day. I wish I had just sent it back when it arrived tbh. I knew about problems before it got here!

Hiker

[ New ]
Have mine 4 days and just went out to test.

The popping is there one with a crackle

I will be sending this back for a refund for sure

Never again
Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro, could this popping be caused by the vent on the side? In effect, a kind of chimney that is reacting to air moving causing the front capsule to pop or bottom out? The top mic works in cahoots with the left so that might then be affected.

Try blocking the drain port. Not sure but it might help. Also blocking one of the mics. The sound worsens but the pops seem to go.

If it is this, then no firmware uodat is going to fix it!

The audio adapter was switched off for the stabilisation and that front screen. Has the processor run out of steam? Could the stabilisation be toned down in order to restore audio facilities? This might well be fixable with less stabilisation and less cut off on the picture.

Could the lag on the front screen is probably the processor running out of steam as well?

Hiker

[ New ]

The testing I’ve done with mine and RAW audio shows it’s the front mic that’s picking up the noise. I think there’s a component near that mic that’s causing the problem. While I think it’s a hardware issue GoPro could potentially “fix” it with a firmware update by updating their processing for audio to detect the pops and remove that mic from the mix. I suspect that’s what they’re trying to do and maybe having some issues implementing it so it’s both effective and sounds ok. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I also think it's a hardware issue. Is Gopro able to survive if they need to call back all Hero 9s?

Hiker

[ New ]

I doubt that there will be a recall.

However, if this doesn’t get fixed properly along with the audio adapter, then maybe that’s about it for a GoPro 10.

my own feelings for the GoPro have drastically altered since the 5. I loved that camera but I have grown to not trust a GoPro to take consistently good video. It certainly is capable of excellent results but too often, I am disappointed in its behaviour so now it isn’t used.

That may kick into their sales next year I think.

Their only saviour is to fix this stuff and somehow turn it around by trying to convince customers that they have ‘improved’ it.

Funnily enough, I was talking to someone yesterday about this and he said, if the processor isn’t able to cope with sound and stabilisation, perhaps they’ll lessen the stabilisation load for it so the picture is cropped less and then tell everyone they made changes to widen the fov!!

I’m guessing the ‘fix’ isn’t easy because we haven’t been told to format or change the card yet! They are very quiet which is disconcerting, but you never know, they may have their heads down looking to see what can be done and it might well be better for them to keep quiet until they get whatever it is.

If they don’t, then current customers most likely won’t return so they’re back to new sales again. (Which is probably how they work anyway these days)

Nomad

[ New ]

Ja uważam że zostałem oszukany. Został mi sprzedany wadliwy produkt wraz z akcesoriami których napewno nie wykorzystać w wersji 10 (baterie). Nie mogę zwrócić produktu bo za późno odkryłem ta wadę dźwięku. Nie liczę na to że GOPRO zachowa się honorowo.

Nomad

[ New ]

If its a hardware issue plaguing world wide users i'm sure there will be replacement H9V2s; that's if they don't own up themselves - only costing them more. I for one will get my H9 unit back and contribute to it

Gopro's customer perception has hit an all time low - just look at their app reviews on android (95% + all 1 out of 5 stars within the last 12 months), look at trustpilot, productreviews.com - they need a plastic surgeon to fix this image of late

I've talked countless people out of upgrading - "i got rid of it after a couple months - as i'm not waiting on gopro to fix a camera while it's still a hot item and can sell it for what local retailers do" your buying a brand name not a quality product now

those in for a rude awakening are the investors beleiving the bullsh1t the marketing department is spinning (highest subscripber uptake ever - DUH its cheaper with it so yeah people are buying it, biggest sales ever - DAH...... its cheaper than through a store PLUS stores bought inventory which they are super pissed at being more expensive than Gopro direct ) i've already got my escape plan as my CC expires before membership renewal - its not worth a cent unless you break your black brick all the time and even then its cheaper to put it on your home and contents insurance with a tiny if NO excess when it happens - no brainer...... its like Gopro are selling pet insurance.....:S

they need to lift their game for all parties involved (customers and investors) as there are MANY false promises everywhere that are about to smash them head on and the fallout won't be pretty; i.e mass returns for being sold something not as described if not rectified - consumer affairs have enough ammo to take the side of the customer showing that fixes have been delayed, then delayed, then will see if its fixed. Do i care about the future of gopro - NO - they don't care about the users so i honestly would like to see them burn and made an example of - too many business get away with this attitude.

with the CPU peaking its probably why they dropped off remote support even though the recommend it due to overheating using the app in their own official thermal shut down post which by the way includes the H9

give your self a treat and read the supplier responsibility link below - talk about double standards "do as i say not as i do" - their support isn't up to what they expect from others - others have "people", shops, phone numbers and emails........ WAKE UP and smell the shot gun coming Gopro

Tourist

[ New ]

Aahhh, I asked support to call me for a refund. Got 2 calls, one from Leeds and the other one from the US. But the lines were so bad I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying. Even a simple phone call seems to be too much for GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]
I got called back on time today - I’m inside the 14days return period thankfully.

I have them boxed and easy to go to UPS.

Real pity as I was enjoying the use of the device until I found the fault. Hopefully the next iteration corrects it or they allow a recall for repairs
Nomad

[ New ]

Om my 3rd, the Audio pops are louder on this one over 12dB.. So I guess its a biult in feature.. The Hero 9 is a piece of junk thats for sure.. Maybe usefull if you put music over you clips, thats about it.. 

Pitty watching a once innovative company implode.. wait till every one realises the returns and failure, the recent market gains will crash, and I hope somone who makes quity cameras picks them up..

Hiker

[ New ]

Actually, I feel very sorry for all of the people who have bought one for Christmas

Tourist

[ New ]

Here is someone who already has had his 4th replacement: https://youtu.be/qtGtzl5VsSY

Probably GoPro didn't want to miss the Black Friday and Christmas sales, I hope they collect enough money to find a solution for this problem.

So what can we do now, ask for a replacement camera every other week?

On my 4th GoPro Hero 9. All have had the same issue with crackling and popping in the video especially prominent in recordings within 30-60 seconds of turnin...
Nomad

[ New ]

A long thread and I guess this may already have been asked.

Anyway, If the camera is in a deserted area including away from mobile phones, lighting and other technology do you still get the problem?

Just wondering if the cameras have poor screaning on the microphone circuitry.

My one has the GPS that sucks but the audio is no worse than their earlier models.

Nomad

[ New ]

i'm wondering if the heat inside is expanding electronics resulting in the popping? it heats up fast especially the legs just shy of 50C after only 10 min recording at 4k/50 then wants to shut down - that can't be good for the battery  as MOST lithiom ion battery manufacturers say optimum range is 15-35C

astonished no one in QC raised an alarm about this?? there is no way i'd wear this on a head unless I live in siberia and need to heat my head.

IMG_2388.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I recieved the 2nd RMA return. The pop or static sound is even louder than previous 2......

So I use this method, and the pop sound has stopped.

I try record using Quick Capture 5 times and each time I let the device cool down or at sleep mode for about 20 mins.

The pop sound has gone and I hope it will stay that way.

All I do is to use aluminium foil and double side tape and past around the mic. It seem like act as shields to dissipate static noise. It work for me but I'm not sure if it work for other.

static.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

To jest jakiś kabaret :-) Wstyd gopro

Tourist

[ New ]

Well I received my rHero 9 eplacement just a few days after sedning my RMA and surpris surpise -  No popping or sound issues, so far.  Maybe I'm a lucky man ....

Nomad

[ New ]

Wind off?

Hiker

[ New ]

that foil certainly doesnt help.

and the popping noise has nothing to do with the camera overheating, as i get pops from the first moment i start recording after the camera has been sitting idle for a day. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Well that seems to be their plan: they quietly fixed the hardware issue and will replace for those who complain about audio specifically. There will be no recall.
Tourist

[ New ]

@eugenel48183 

I placed my camera in a Faraday cage, still popping. So it has nothing to do with external signals like WiFi, BlueTooth or any others.

My next test will be to determine if the popping is caused by expanding elements inside the GoPro due to heating. I will place the camera next to a high sensitive microphone so I can try to record if the popping is mechanical and not caused by the electronics. This will take some time to setup...

Nomad

[ New ]

Ive worked out that it happens when you first turn it on, and it gets better over time. After a minure it will not have the pops anymore.. I have heard others say the same.

Seems strange.. but I guess anything is possible with these clowns..

My guess is they all do it, but most just dont realise or arent bothered with audio.

GoPro really suck at firmwate updates, takes them forever to fix the smallest things, and they can never seem to ramp up to fix show stoppers like this. I doubt they will fix it.. I dont think they ever will. It will be fixed in the Hero 10, but you will have a whole new set of issues to work through.. I dont think anything they make works correclty.

I think getting a DJI product is the fix..

Nomad

[ New ]

well the temp ramps up really quick. from a 20C room it hit 48 in 7 minutes - then in 15 min we hit 54C thats not good - so one would wonder the expansion happening inside in at a rapid pace - i fear longevity at those temps and would be much higher inside a 30-40C car with no air flow

you can't hold the thing comfortably at all and would hate to imagine the damage inside it is doing including the Li-ion batteries which are recommended to be used at 15-35C not 54 - P.S the battery was 54 also when removed after turning it off after only 20min - setting 4k/50 no wifi, no stabilization, only voice control active, screen set to 50% brightness with a 1min time out, using the included 32Gb card and manual FW install and full reset after

i think this product is not suitable for sale and its only a matter of time before it burns something to the ground after a thermal runaway battery fire

IMG_2396.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]

@myriamb3268 

Sorry to hear that.

I tested mine after 6 hours idle. The pop sound is gone for sure when first recording.

All my wifi and bluetooth is on during the test.

The previous 2 have static noise after 10 min off power mode even I off surrounding the wifi and bluetooth.

Hiker

[ New ]

then this issue is not as simple as it first seemed.

because i get the pops even after first 10 seconds, when camera is nowhere near overheating.

and my main way of using this camera is with quick capture, 15-30sec segments , i never use it for more than a minute.

so we all have same issue with slightly different symptoms.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've put my GoPro in the fridge at around 4°C, left it there for about 1/2h. Then I started a recording, many pops in the audio but the external microphone next to it nor my ears could capture a click. Doesn't look like a mechanical problem caused by heating, but still can be an electronic problem caused by heating too much. (drifting of components in the analogue circuit of the mic amp?)

Tourist

[ New ]

@boldridge4531 

Mine is still popping after 5 minutes,less frequently but the issue is still there.

On top of that this camera is freezing all the time, didn't have that problem with the first camera. What a mess!

Not really keen on chatting with support for the x th time, all they will say is to reinstall the firmware manually. 

Nomad

[ New ]

The manual firmware update is all they say.. it's comical.. obviously the support team are not really a support team, just a few cheap overseas employees with a script..

Hiker

[ New ]

thats not true, they also say the issue must be with your memory card ;)

at first i didnt like the downgrade in image quality, as when compared to H7 the image was worse, but the audio issue is the biggest one that i cannot accept.

Honestly H7 was the last "good" camera in my eyes,

One would think that they would learn from mistakes and listen to their community.

If you decide to release a buggy product and expect customers to be betatesters and report said issues, at least aknowledge them and fix them as you go.

When was the last time a gopro employee responded in this thread?