Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]
Godv (assuming you are a bit) just STFU already. They aren’t going to answer you or anyone else. #moveon and quit buying Go Pros like the rest of us. It’s over.
Hiker

[ New ]

@godv keep hounding the gopro deaf ostrich with its head in the sand - one day it might just go huh and attend to their buggy crap. there is nothing else happening on this post so keep it in the forefront of the forums for other bummed users until they do something about it.

Well done and hat off to you for your patience - sold my 9 almost a year ago. won't buy another camera of gopro's until it has at LEAST 12months of positive feedback and reliability but then again the action 2 is out which ticks more boxes! 

Tourist

[ New ]

The only thing those posts does is annoy the rest of us. GoPro doesn't care. Someone overseas gets paid to clear a notification from their screen every time another post goes up; that's probably about it.

"We will wait for an answer"

No, I won't "wait for an answer." A company that steals my money and then has their customer support reps tell me that they won't warranty it because crackling audio is "not a defect" (because apparently I've got all day to sit around and warm up my camera whenever I want to take an action video) needs to be out of business.

I've always been interested in what happens if you take a major company to small claims court to get back a few hundred bucks. I'm probably going to find out.

Nomad

[ New ]

Has anyone replaced the gopro 9 with 10 for this defect?

Hiker

[ New ]

why would you? the fail will be gopop with a thining customer base.

i understand buy cheap buy twice. but buy premium one expects proper support (not a f()cked gauntlet call logging abyss) and solutions without cricket chirps

time to Gobro

Tourist

[ New ]

@manfrednt wrote:

Has anyone replaced the gopro 9 with 10 for this defect?

Once bitten, twice shy. Why would you? 10 has other defects (overheating) that won't be repaired, the solution to that problem will be to put the camera in the fridge for 5 min. before recording. Or to wait one year and buy the 11. History repeats.

I don't need a new action cam right now, but if I did I would look at other brands.

GoBro (nice find rapidalp1534 !)

Nomad

[ New ]

It's seems a common type in forums to habit a certain type of nerdy supremacists that enjoy bothering people, but in GoPro's you even see people fighting each other because of Gopro's skam! How absurd, instead of helping each other. They even erased my messages when helping others (investigating the extent of the skam) or in a conversation with others, more than once.

In my opinion Gopro has two souls, the factory soul uses a strategy of quantity over quality and when it's failing systematically the facade soul (here) distracts and runs with the money.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Who did you contact to exchange the camera. My camera has done this since I bought it.
Nomad

[ New ]

@swiftmesa60151 wrote:
Who did you contact to exchange the camera. My camera has done this since I bought it.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

@haindash 

@jefft 

Please answer my question.

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

@haindash 

@jefft 

when will gopro grow a backbone and answer a simple question to a fundamental manufacturing issue well over its birthday?

your response or lack of expresses the attitude of a NON customer focused business we should throw under the bus.

Sincerely a no longer Gopro user till you fix your Sh1t

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@haindash 

@jefft 

Please answer my question.

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Tourist

[ New ]

@tieffliegermf  schrieb:

Great, I'm happy for you.

When they have solved the problem I will also return my GoPro 9 again (the 4th time). Last time the employee said to me "this problem affects all GoPro 9 cameras, so an exchange makes no sense.

Please let us know if the popping occurs again with you. For me it is only in the first video after a "cold start", but for a $400 camera this is still not acceptable.

Update of my case:

Last week I decided to give it a try and returned my Hero 9 the fourth(!!) time.

This time the support employee told me "no, not every hero 9 unit has this issue".

I sent it on Wednsday and the replacement arrived today which I found suprinsingly fast.

And you know what?  

The 4th unit in a row has the same poping and crackling sounds issue. It's terrible.

Today I asked for a recall of the support at 5pm. Still no recall.

The confirmation of my request says "gopro plus subscribers have access to 24/7 chat support". But there is no such optoin on the website.

GoPro why are you doing this to me? Cat Mad

I was full of hope for the new action 2 becaue dji manages it to launch mostly finalizded, fully functional products. But this modular design thing brings more disadvantages than pros for my use cases.

So gopro please get you *** together..

Tourist

[ New ]

Based on my observations, it just isn't possible for the cameras to all be affected to this degree.

The videos complaining about the crackling have just a few thousand views. I posted on Reddit, asking why everyone was putting up with this, and I was downvoted to 0 and told by a couple people that "some people have it, some people don't" or that it's worse on some cameras than others.

When I check the Amazon reviews or the vlogger reviews, you have to dig really hard to find people even mention the audio problems. There is simply no way that every camera has it, or at least, that every camera has it equally. Statistically, getting 5 replacements and having the same problem all 5 times seems pretty unlikely.

Something doesn't add up. Unless the majority of the population doesn't even listen to audio on their footage and immediately scrubs it.

After one CSR tried to tell me that it wasn't a defect (and therefore not eligible for replacement), I persisted, and they've agreed to replace my camera--I'm going to do it, because it can't be worse.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@rwzero  To add to your theory (and bust it a bit!).  When I first heard of the audio popping issue, I thought it was relegated to just a few camera's and that my own Hero 9 was working perfectly.  In fact, it wasn't until nearly a year later that I realized my camera had the audio popping issue.  So how is this possible?

Well 2 things come into play.

1:  When I recording with my GoPro Hero 9, 95% of the time, it's on the wing of an airplane or the roof of a car, or I'm shooting timelapse or time warp video.  As a result, I don't use audio.

2:  The few times I did use audio (mainly for sending clips home to my family in Ireland) I was using a media mod with either a shotgun mic or a wireless lav.  

Guess what?  In both of those instances above, the audio popping issue doesn't come up.  I'm guessing there are plenty of people using their GoPro's the same way.  Either not using them for audio and instead using them for cinematic shots or shots were audio would be drowned out anyway (white water rafting, motorbike racing, car racing, etc)  or they could be using their camera with a media mod so they can have better audio quality via an external mic.  Those people will not complain about the audio popping issue as it simply doesn't affect them.

Then there's the audio solution given by GoPro themselves "Power on the camera for at least 2 minutes and then start recording".  I'm guessing there's a lot of people who have their camera on, ready to take a shot but not recording, in which case, that would lessen the audio popping issue.

A lot of people who leave reviews on Amazon, do so shortly after receiving their product, few of them do so after months of use and even fewer go back to adjust their reviews.  

So could potentially every Hero 9 have an audio popping issue?  Yes, absolutely....   but will it affect every owner?  No, because simply put, not everyone uses audio on their GoPro and those that do, tend to use external mics.  If I hadn't specifically tested my GoPro for audio popping based upon the complaints in this thread?  I would have never realized my GoPro has an audio popping issue and just continued on as normal.  Now that I know it has the issue?  It still doesn't affect me as I don't use in camera sound and when I do use audio.........  it's with the media mod ... so still not affected.

Tourist

[ New ]

My first hero 9 had to be replaced because it literally always freezed during timelapses after a few minutes, no matter which settings I chose.

When I got my replacement and already used it for a while when I saw people complaining online about the audio problem.

I use my gopro mainly as a helmet camera when riding my motorcycle. And I also record audio separately. This is why I also only found out my camera has it after I was looking for it.

And in the footage of my first hero 9 which was replaced for freezing, I heard the crackling afterwards, too.

So yes, in most action camera use cases, audio doesn't really matter (except for syncronization for example) so people often don't even notice the audio defect.

But  when I pay so much money on an action cam I can't accept such bugs. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

I 100% agree, no one should accept these bugs, it is a camera defect and GoPro do not have a solution to address these issues.  Just because it doesn't affect me doesn't mean I'm happy with it either.  What if on a rare occassion I do need to make a video with audio and don't have a media mod?  I'm screwed!

This is actually why I appreciate the constant posts by @godv   Before I thought he was annoying and even I tried to fob him off simply because I believed there would be a fix which would address the issue.  However now that GoPro is being silent about it, staff have been instructed not to talk about it and people's 12 month warranties are expired, I welcome @godv constantly repeating the same post again and again to ensure that GoPro are constantly reminded of the issue.  Frankly everyone affected should be copy and pasting @godv 's post and keep doing so until GoPro close the thread.  And after that?  Start a new one and keep copying and pasting.  GoPro released bad hardware to the public, let the public suffer with it and did nothing to apologize or make things right.  Maybe it's about time customers made GoPro famous.

Much as I love my GoPro camera's, like some of the people that work at GoPro, the fact is, there's a difference between right and wrong and what GoPro did was not right.

Tourist

[ New ]

Another Update of my case: Finally after the 5th replacement.... it seems to be fixed.

As I worte last time, my fourth replacement hero 9 had the same issues as the camera I sent in plus it had some traces of use.

So I tried to reach the support again which worked after 2-3 attempts.

Now today I just received a new hero 9 replacement. It was just like 6 days ago when I sent my camera in - so suprisingly fast replacement again. (live in germany, the eu distributor is in the netherlands)

As always I checked the replacement for defects and especially took some clips right after turning the cold camera on.

And so far there are no crackling and popping sounds in my footage - even in the most prone situations like starting recording by using quick capture when the camera is off and cold.

Only strange thing I noticed was that in 4k 60fps the hero 9 shut down during recording saying "battery too low" but the battery was 30%. I turned it on again but this time I started recording in 4k 30fps - the camera stayed on during recording. So maybe they built in some hero 10 battery management features Smiley Very Happy

I will keep an eye on my new replacement and definately let you know, if the audio problem emerges again.

But so far it seems there are batches of the hero 9 without that issue.

My recommandation: return your hero 9 again and again untill you get a working unit.

Good luck!

Tourist

[ New ]

Здравствуйте. А как можно отменить действие QR ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Я установил Gopro Labs и использовал QR. Щелчки прекратились. Буду тестировать дальше.

Nomad

[ New ]

QR has one big drawback. When you use an external microphone and the GP9 adapter cuts off one channel.

Nomad

[ New ]

I did not have the clicks with my replacement camera but I tested the QR code for making an stereo with the left side and upside mics but never really got it to sound right, glad at least for someone it worked.

Side note, for wind removal at a very high speed protecting the mics with "dead cat fur" and all, I found out the only mic that records clean audio is the upside mic, the other two are pretty useless.

As of now I'm in the process of returning my GoPro after almost a year of glitches permanent torture and I'm not looking back, good bye to y'all

Hiker

[ New ]

@АлексейБ004 wrote:

Я установил Gopro Labs и использовал QR. Щелчки прекратились. Буду тестировать дальше.

Good to hear, for me the QR Gopro labs option still works. Tested it since July and no problems anymore with pops in the last 4 months.
Really enjoying the gopro 9 since then.

For those who did not try yet:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/Labs-option-request-disable-specific-microphones/td-p/1033...

Tourist

[ New ]

У меня есть Media Mod. С ним еще не тестировал. Пока времени нет. Но обязательно проверю.

Tourist

[ New ]
Надеюсь у меня тоже будет OK. Еще проверю как работает Media Mod.