Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@haindash 

@jefft 

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@haindash 

@jefft 

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@haindash 

@jefft 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

@aragon1006 

@jefft 

@haindash 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@jefft 

@haindash 

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]
I received back my 3rd replacement GoPro hero 9 last week, and I have been using it without the media mod just the audio straight from the camera and I have no issues with audio pops or crackles anymore.
Finally I have a camera I can use it as it is designed for but it has taken nearly a year to get there .
Let’s all hope the new 10 is a lot better if anyone is still around .
Tourist

[ New ]

@camraman wrote:
I received back my 3rd replacement GoPro hero 9 last week, and I have been using it without the media mod just the audio straight from the camera and I have no issues with audio pops or crackles anymore.
Finally I have a camera I can use it as it is designed for but it has taken nearly a year to get there .
Let’s all hope the new 10 is a lot better if anyone is still around .

Now is the big question: Are you just lucky or did GoPro find a solution to the problem? And I'm putting my money on the new DJI (Osmo) Action camera to be out in a couple of weeks.

Hiker

[ New ]

That is what I would like to know , have they got to the root cause and sorted in the latest batch of cameras . It would have been nice for them to issue a memo letting us know they are now sorted ..... 

Or I was just lucky and got one that doesnt pop and crackle .

I will also be watching closely on the latest DJI osmo action ...... watch this space 

Tourist

[ New ]

Great, I'm happy for you.

When they have solved the problem I will also return my GoPro 9 again (the 4th time). Last time the employee said to me "this problem affects all GoPro 9 cameras, so an exchange makes no sense.

Please let us know if the popping occurs again with you. For me it is only in the first video after a "cold start", but for a $400 camera this is still not acceptable.

Backpacker

[ New ]

The GoPro Audio Pop issue only affects camera's that aren't using a media mod.  If you attach a media mod, no more pops.  Please also note, there are some (idiot) YouTubers out there claiming to have "solved" the issue.  However their video's are actually addressing "overdrive" when using the media mod mounted to a bike helmet etc.  Overdrive actually creates audio drop outs (which can sound like audio pops) but is a completely different issue.

The audio popping issue may be related to one of the audio channels specifically (which makes me believe it's an issue with their wind reduction) and I believe GoPro are looking into this.  I base this "theory" on the fact that the latest GoPro labs firmware actually allows you to mute certain audio channels either one at a time or select multiple channels to be muted.  

Unfortunately if you're expecting an answer or a "hint" of an answer from GoPro, don't hold your breath.  If there is an actual software or hardware issue that GoPro cannot fix, they will not wave their hands and admit it.  Such a thing would be an admission of fault and they could be held liable in a class action law suit.  

Instead they will keep replacing camera's for up to 1 year after date of purchase as per their warranty.  After 12 months, their warranty is fulfilled and you'll be SOL.

If the audio popping issue is a huge deal breaker for you (it's not for me as I either don't use audio or when I need audio, I use the media mod) I would suggest you contact GoPro and instead of demanding a warranty exchange, you demand your money back.  Should GoPro refuse, contact the Better Business Bureau and let them handle the situation for you.  You can specifiy the solution you want when you lodge a complaint with them and the BBB will do the leg work for you.

I'm not saying this because I want GoPro to fail, I actually like GoPro and I like their camera's, but at the same time it's unfair that customers be given a faulty product with no solution or even updates regarding a possible fix.  At the very least, if GoPro is at fault, they could give customers an option.

A:  Substantial discount on a new Hero 10 (after they mail back their Hero 9, and the offer HAS to be better than the tradeup deal)(BTW, no one should do the tradeup deal, do the math, you're getting ripped off).

B:  Substantial discount on a Hero 9 Media mod

C:  Return your camera for a full refund.

GoPro is at fault here, if they want loyal customers and continued business, they need to do the right thing.

Hiker

[ New ]

I was going to say this is a problem with the Hero 7, Hero 8, and Hero 9.  Then I noticed this thread is over 19 pages long.  Maybe they will fix it in the Hero 10?

Tourist

[ New ]

Just to note:

If you ARE going to send it back, as I tried to do so for a flickering screen, as well as popping audio, it failed and was luckily returned to me. Why?  For some reason, I had to print off THREE copies of x, as well as the main return info page.  That's 4x A4 pages!  For a small Gopro.

I ended up printing them in A5, which covered the box I'd used to return the cam. Return reason? Text too small to read on the doc.

Great. It's ALMOST like GoPro knows what they're doing (to stop returns).  Or, of course, I did something wrong.

Adventurer

[ New ]

glad you got  yours resolved. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

My Gopro Hero 9 is 1 week old and starts popping crackling audio too. I'm from Brazil... This is so annoying. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Mine hero9 is popping a lot. Since it was new (preordered at release) its been popping. Several firmware upgrades later this is still an issue.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry for any trouble caused.

The product team is still working to understand and fix this issue.
Try to warm up your camera (simply by having it on) for about 2 minutes prior to starting the recording.
This has shown to help prevent the audio popping from showing up in the video.

We will share details as soon as new information is available.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Try to warm up your camera (simply by having it on) for about 2 minutes prior to starting the recording.

Oh this is likely a hardware issue if it needs to physically warm up?  

I primarily use mine via the auto power on and start recording with a single press functionality, so my use case never allows for a 2 minute warmup.  

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

We will share details as soon as new information is available.

Thanks!

Ej

You guys just don't seem to understand that this answer has been repeated for a year now.

Let's say you buy a brand new rather expensive car, GoPros are expensive cameras compared to the competition, and you have to warm up your car every time for 2 minutes prior to start driving. That answer you are getting for one year, but the garage technician is working on it. How would you react? Will you ever buy this brand of car again? Oh, and he will share details about your car as soon as new info is available.

I probably would drive this car through his showroom windows.

Hiker

[ New ]
Not the best simile with the car (its actually a good idea to warm up the engine before driving especially in cold climate) but the situation with audio artefacts is indeed outrageous!
Adventurer

[ New ]

We will release a New Model called the Hero X that will not have the Audio Pop issue, rest assure its moments away

Thanks!

Gopro Team

that was what they meant to say

Tourist

[ New ]

Wait two minutes, eh? This is an action camera made for filming fast-paced things. That is not a sustainable solution.

What do you mean you're releasing a new camera without the issue? Are you going to mail me one? Because I spent 500 dollars on a brick that does not work properly, and I'm told I can't have my money back, so if you release a model that works I expect to get one. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Please answer my question.

Hiker

[ New ]

WOW this fundamental problem still hasn't been fixed.

way to go GoPOP this issue has its birthday coming soon.......LMAO.... 

good luck or should i say good riddance to you with your next failure.

you're one and only product is a joke to many.... i still own your 7 after owning the 8 and 9 and won't be back anytime soon. bells and whistles don't make up for a buggy platform. long time fan no longer

Nomad

[ New ]

I replaced mine once and the shop gave me a pop free GoPro, 9 months later all GoPro's have still the split line problem (in some resolutions/fps) mine have increasingly persistent problems to turn it on/off and some times it goes absolutely nuts and looks like it's gonna self-destruct.
Some people say they want a GoPro 10 in exchange, honestly I wouldn't want to be in the position of a newly released 10 owner, I would be content with a license of GoPro's Reelsteady if my GoPro is still alive Smiley Frustrated

Hiker

[ New ]

I have done some 4 weeks of testing using Gopro labs.
The Gopro labs setting I use is !MMUTE=1 to disable the front microphone on my Gopro 9.
I have not noticed any pops since this change, while the video still contains a stereo signal in the mp4 file.
I often use the record immediate option, and I do not have time for the warmup option.

Details about this labs option:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/Labs-option-request-disable-specific-microphones/m-p/10335...

The Gopro QR code: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/set/?cmd=!MMUTE=1

You can try this workaround by yourself by installing Gopro labs on top of the most current firmware.
Perhaps you also have positive results.

Hiker

[ New ]

Grazie per la condivisione!

Una domanda, bisogna utilizzare il qrcode per ogni nuova registrazione?

Andrea 

Hiker

[ New ]

@andregixxer No, you have to scan it only once and then the setting is persistent until you reset it.

When using the ! it is persistent, even after shutdown.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you! 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro is hard at work, they are pushing  the Hero 10 out so this problem has been resolved.

Seriously get to the customer rep, they will forward the question to the Engineer, that is called a BRUSH OFF

the staff online are just to help out like Please try a refresh, please try to contact, they are a RECEPTIONIST nothing More

Hiker

[ New ]

@rmm5477 la soluzione che hai condiviso è funzionante, tuttavia si perde molto nella qualità finale dell'audio registrato...il microfono frontale almeno per il mio tipo di rirpese risulta fondamentale.

Sono tornato al FW originale ed a malincuore procederò come sempre con l'editor audio di Adobe per la rimozione manuale dei POP registrati...preferisco lavorare un po di più ma ottenere la qualità più elevata.

Ad ogni modo grazie per la soluzione condivisa

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]

Ma cosa vuoi che gli interessi a risponderti..

sta per uscire la 10

cosi non dovranno più preoccuparsi della 9

ormai.......cosi funziona gopro

Nomad

[ New ]

With the industry at its actual state and the 9 massive malfunctions I wouldn't be expecting the 10 any time soon or to be any better if not a complete fail, well they can always sell a 9 without malfunctions as a 10 but that would be very outrageous for all 9 tortured clients and expect reclamations for sure. 

Been reading about people anticipating the 10 since december '20, I rather think the time to denounce problems and find solutions is now.

@godv this post is good for new affected users to inform, take action and organize. Your bombarding copy/paste messages without any result so far, makes this testimonial post like a chaotic dump of crazy nutjobs. Please make your own post to bombard eternally!

Hiker

[ New ]

La gente viene sui forum DOPO averla acquistata.

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv  please keep bombarding this forum to keep it on page 1. i'm out and don't have patience to work with this company anymore

Gopro's support system and forum system is on purpose run by a gold fish that will always ask,...

what SD

what firmware

did you do it manually

there is NEVER a human response outside other users on there

i don't think anyone let alone a new 10 will fix this brand. move on and sell your stuff while you can. the titanic is sinking so choose to save yourself or go with the ship and have a paperweight

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro needs to stop making a new camera.  gopro should only release a new camera when they correct a bug and issue they can not in the latter, oh they did and  called it the Hero 10

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

oh they did and  called it the Hero 10

And also there's no release date yet.

Pumping the post to nº1 forum position doesn't inform anyone if there's only the same copy/paste monologue complain going on for months in the middle of actual conversations, oh whait I think Godv actually started its own post months ago but keeps bombarding here everytime someone is talking to someone. I don't give a crap about the forum or Gopro, but that's total nonsense, people have been saying it "politely" and I'm gonna keep saying it too.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@isaakonfire wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:

oh they did and  called it the Hero 10

And also there's no release date yet.

Pumping the post to nº1 forum position doesn't inform anyone if there's only the same copy/paste monologue complain going on for months in the middle of actual conversations, oh whait I think Godv actually started its own post months ago but keeps bombarding here everytime someone is talking to someone. I don't give a crap about the forum or Gopro, but that's total nonsense, people have been saying it "politely" and I'm gonna keep saying it too.

this was a90 page plus  thread that got cut right down to 8 pages by the Admistrator and staff. HIDING the FLAW of the camera

FIX is warm the camera up for 2 minutes, I see people taking a flame tourch to it LOL

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Nomad

[ New ]

In an unexpected turn of events... I've decided to share here all 22 (free non-subscription) LUTs from GoPro's Quick app. after all you don't need a functioning GoPro to use them.

This aren't copies from the originals LUT files so technically it's not piracy.

Enjoy: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q_GLXKsYYDUckpdd10VzGsl67mWoBj2T?usp=sharing

Freedom to the parrots!

Hiker

[ New ]

In two days we could buy a new Gopop with clean audio. Isn't that nice?

it's unbelievable and unforgivable they never fixed this problem.

Shame on them.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Nomad

[ New ]
Twój sposób powoduje że dźwięk z adaptera i zewnętrznego mikrofonu płynie tylko z prawego kanału. Dla mnie bezużyteczny
Nomad

[ New ]
Aragon jesteś zwykłym ignorantem który zwodził nas cały rok. Ciekawe ilu dotrzyma słowa i nie kupi tego nowego syfu a ilu rzuci się dziś od razu i ponownie będzie narzekać
Nomad

[ New ]

@tuquoque wrote:

In two days we could buy a new Gopop with clean audio. Isn't that nice?

it's unbelievable and unforgivable they never fixed this problem.

Shame on them.

Look what I found..."in EU "- if anything else EU is a commercial union - "law stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised." ... and it continues getting better.

So GoPro launches a new camera without solving their latest model problems - the split line problem in 2.7K is for sure in all cameras, pops are still present in mine besides having a replacement that doesn't pop all the time like the first one, really scary glitches etc- so predictably the 10 will have better specs on paper, like the 9 in its moment, but is this company truly reliable when they won't overcome the flaws of their current model?
To be clear I really think GoPro 9 is an awesome camera by itself ON PAPER but in reality the endless tests and glitches still continues like an eternal nightmare almost after a year of its release! UNACCEPTABLE
So now I'm really curious how the 10 will come out, with industry tech shortage and all, everything is so weird, if turns to be a reliable one you bet I will negotiate an upgrade!

Hiker

[ New ]

This is gopops fix. they have their head in the sand hoping people forget the 9 and focus on the 10. They won't get another cent out of us - subscription cancelled, 9 onsold for a small hit. Reviewers are getting honest and customer protection should have anyones back to have 9s replaced free of charge for 10s due to nothing else but "unfit for purpose" as mentioned - ADD TO THAT there is clear evidence of inaction on their behalf since its launch all over these forums

Come on DJI announce your action 2 already!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Did they ever actually fix all of the issues on the 8?  Mine seemed okay by the end (just as the 9 was released).  The 8 had freezing screens, half screens etc. What fun.

Face it, they'll probably never fix the issue(s) and many of us will just buy the 10. Yeah, I know, bit silly but I will be buying the 10.

I have 2 GoPro 9s and they BOTH have the audio crackling issue. You cannot just have the thing switched on for 2 minutes and THEN start recording. That's NOT a fix.  I feel that we're wasting our energy.

The absolute BEST option would be to sell and move to another brand. ANY... other brand. When GoPro crashes they'll know why.

P.s. I was in a cavern the other day and the GoPro in low light is crazily bad in low light. I used my Huawei Mate 20 x instead.

Nomad

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 wrote:

Come on DJI announce your action 2 already!!!!

That would be awesome, with the actual Osmo youtube reviews seems that doesn't get toe to toe with the 9 after all it's 2 year older model. The big risk I see with the mass oriented "point&shoot" cameras is they been selling like half-baked video quality cameras, as the majority of people aren't audio-visual technicians perse I imagine the flaws - or tech specs - are irrelevant overall and therefore in terms of mass business too. But GoPro elevates this to another level of the camera actually not working, a brand with a huge well fed public facade, do they think people don't realise a camera it's not working? A case for an anthropological study of big companies perhaps. Paradoxically the 9 has some really good video quality threshold compared to much more expensive mirrorless cameras that have the "cinematic video" selling label, to know:

-The color science is awesome, easy to manipulate in post, skin tones and overall balance really good. *compared to others

- Aliasing and moiré are unexistent with sharpness turned at minimum, excellent! aliasing & moiré is the worst nightmare I've been having in video quality even at 4K.

- A very pleasant motion blur that reminds of the global shutter cameras, the problem with compressed format video cameras is that they use algorithms to throw away much of the static information between frames the result is very noticeable with the "stutter effect" and motion vibrations in a handheld shot without any stabilization (digital or mechanical) with the cinema rule of 180º shutter speed, the gopro 9 motion actually flows really natural without any stabilization.

If the Osmo 2 gives a solid quality instead of the canonical half-baked mass-oriented quality it's gonna be a real alternative to the GoPro's half-working mass-facade.

Hiker

[ New ]
per quanto noi ne possiamo parlare...gopro non fallirà ma nonostante tuti i problemi perche nonostante tutti questi difetti ne vende comunque tantissime ed in pochi ( incredibilmente ) se ne lamentano. Adesso esce la 10 e tutti la compreranno..la 9 ne è stata la dimostrazione è stata venduta e comprata fino ad oggi nonostante i difetti e le recensioni; la Osmo2 non riuscirà mai a fare le stesse vendite della hero 10 anche se fosse migliore in tutto