Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

@jefft 

@haindash 

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Nomad

[ New ]
This peace of **bleep** is still has the same audio problems.
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Firmware 1.60 didn't fix the problem and all the new cameras has popping audio. We've been screwed. Very disapointed.

Tourist

[ New ]

They need to do something about this as it's affecting too many people for them not to think there is an inherent issue with the device.  At the end of the day, the simple fact is we have waited for 8mth to get a touch screen that works and the device is still not fit for purpose. 

This is poor beyond on all accounts 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Same audio popping issues here. Several firmware updates later and it persists. I turn off wind reduction in the settings and it still crackles and pops. Going to try some mini-deadcats next. Overall very disappointed ☹️
Tourist

[ New ]

@stoutalp2831 

You need to TURN ON wind reduction. But the sound qualtiy is like underwater effect.

I usually use raw audio, disable one of the 3 audio sound and sysn with the video. Which is abit troublesome.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 

yep I know, sorry for going on with something that is starting to look a lot like a broken record, but since I've no clue what's happening considering that the new firmware came out and the issue still there, not complaining of the update because it solved a lot of problems though. Customer service seems to be kept in the dark and it can't be of much help I fear.

I'd like to know, if possible, if the devs are still working on this problem, or what's the next step in solving this issue, aside the camera "warming" which works and it takes 15 to 30 seconds to have a clear audio video. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can possibly give us on this matter and any update would be really appreciated.

A.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just checking in to report the same issue here. I recieved my GoPro Hero 9 a week ago and have the same popping and clicking audio which is pretty useless really. 

Is this something that is ever going to be fixed? 

Very disappointing.

Hiker

[ New ]
Short answer: NO !
GoPop don’t care about Hero 9 users because working with Hero 10 now.
No chance, look how long people are writing this thema😉☝️
Nomad

[ New ]
It’s hardware related, like a temperature thing. So from stone cold camera sat overnight to urgent lifetime best shot ever scenario sure you can get crackles for about 30 seconds. I do mostly car stuff and so you automatically wait a bit for the GPS to lock solid, ideally while stationary. If you use GPS and follow best procedures you’ll never have the Crackle-Pops cuz reasons..

Why GoPro cannot suggest waiting when possible is a mystery to me. No need to rush order dead cat stickies or redo FW loads and more. Just warm up your car before flooring it lol.

If you think about it, if the camera is dun warmed before you start your use, just came off battery-in-camera charge then things like this involving heat would tend to help?
Tourist

[ New ]

To me it appears not related to heat. It seems to be repeatable and always present in the first video after power on. 

Power on - first video clicks and pops. 

After that subsequent videos seem fine. 

Power off and then on again. 

First video clicks and pops. 

Subsequent videos seem fine. 

I have found this repeatable whether the camera is at cold boot or has been running for 30 minutes. Possibly GPS or WiFi initialization? Disabling them doesn't fix it but it has to be some kind of initialization issue.

If it's some kind of design defect then it would be nice to have the option to simply disable the offending mic so we don't have to bugger about with RAW audio files. 

Please sort this out GoPro!

Adventurer

[ New ]

To All:

GoPro came on Deleted about 100 pages of information, Important to all members, it showed, the issues and flaws of the Hero 9 Black, which was released in September of 2019, I can not imagine why, when the Hero 10 comes out, what will happen.  

SInce this is not our House, but we as a guest, GoPro could have at least notified all that was involved of the deleted posts, they did not, they could have at least announced a message about the issue at hand, , they did not.

if anyone found the solution simply post up 

Tourist

[ New ]
How suspect is that - talk about cover your tracks - this has enraged me.

Go pro you will be getting a call from me
Hiker

[ New ]

Hey Fishy. I u derstood that post. You been having English lessons? ; )

i wrote about deletions a few days ago and someone said that they had crunched the messages down to 50 per page.......

GoPro in disguise? ...........

Tourist

[ New ]

please help, i have the same problem with gp9.

vietnam

Sightseer

[ New ]

Updating the firmware, formatting the SD card, etc does not work. Just got my 2nd Hero 9 today and still having this terrible popping in the background. Whether you purchased a camera last year or this week, the issue still persists. It's unfortunate that GoPro has mostly ignored customers commenting and hasn't come out and given an official statement. When you spend $788.14 on a camera and accessories, you don't expect to get something defective. Yes, I am sure the pandemic impacted supply chain/manufacturing, but be an A+ company and come out and explain this to your customers and make it right.

Tourist

[ New ]

I love this product, but this bug makes me feel uncomfortable. I think it's a hardware problem. I have tried turning it on and waiting for 2 minutes, the pop sound seems less, but an action product can't wait like that. I will contact the seller to request a refund.

Hiker

[ New ]

Perhaps it should be renamed under Trades Description as a ‘Delayed Action Cam’?

Hiker

[ New ]

Mesi e mesi a ripetere le stesse cose.

l'unica cosa sicura di tutta questa discussione è che GoPro non ha alcun rispetto verso di chi come noi affida i propri soldi e la propria fiducia verso un marchio che anno dopo anno continua a commettere errori terribili sia nel software che nell'hardware e continua nonostante tutto a rilasciare un aggiornamento ogni 3/4 mesi a prescindere da quanto siano gravi i problemi.

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro non sembra più preoccuparsene. tutto ciò di cui si preoccupano è quanto vendono e come vendere di più nella prossima versione.
comportamento vergognoso.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Phoney thing is:   Everyone here is issued camera or not.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So I'm not affected by the Audio pops issue myself, but I do intend to make a video about this.  For all of you who are affected though and are angry about the whole thing (and rightfully so!), I will offer you the following......

1:  GoPro doesn't seem to have deleted any complaints from here.  People (rightfully) pointed out that the complaints page dropped in count, so what's going on?  Well GoPro simply increased the amount of posts per page thus reducing the overall number.  Why?  Because people logging onto the forums to complain about other things wouldn't see a sh*t ton of pages complaining about an issue.  So they did it to decrease the perception of it being a huge issue without deleting comments.  

2:  You're all complaining on the forum and getting nowhere.  You're even complaining that GoPro are ignoring you and people need to be made aware of the issue.  Well GoPro aren't going to do that unless the issue is brought to the public eye, and posting about it in GoPro's "Member only" forum isn't going to achieve that.  The only people who are going to know about the issue are those who already suffer from the issue (and therefore bother to read this thread) and ....... that's about it.  So bring it to the publics attention.  If you have a YouTube account, Make a video about the issue that shows the issue and post the link here.  Everyone here, watch the video's, click "like" and "subscribe" to the channel.  Those of you who don't have YouTube or can't make a video about the issue, if you have TikTok, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook...  post the links to the video's that other people have made.  Everytime there's a new link, post it across your social media.  If GoPro make a post on their social feeds showing off their camera, comment and ask about the audio pop issue and post the link to this thread.  The only way to make a change, is to force a change.  If GoPro can keep it quiet, and if they are happy enough to confine things to this thread so others don't know about it, then it's time to make them even more famous and bring the issue to light.

3:  Some people have wondered why some "professional reviews" haven't even mentioned this issue.  So ask them.  Post it clearly on their social media feeds and ask them why they choose to overlook this issue and not mention it to the public.  

Like I said, the Audio Pop issue doesn't affect me, Im either using no audio (using a music track instead) or recording with the media mod.  However that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist or that it's not affecting paying customer who have been met with silence.  This is not fair, and it's not right for all you users.  I intend to make a video about this issue in a fair and balanced manner and I do want to lend my support to all users out there who feel cheated or angry by GoPro's stance.  After all, from the few video's I've seen and some of the comments here, it's not the issue that angers people the most, they'd just be happy if GoPro would apologise, admit there's an issue, give an update (good or bad) and if they can't fix it, then give paying customers either a gift voucher (not a "cannot be combined with other discounts code") or a discount on the next Hero Camera (which would benefit GoPro too as their honesty and apology would go a long way to retaining you as a paying customer).

So that's my advice folks, bring this issue into the light, make it public and don't just complain about the issue here on this thread.  

As soon as I have my video done (and I intend to start making it today, I'll post the link here).  So honestly folks, that's the only way you're going to see a response or movement from GoPro.  Don't just complain on the thread, post your video, show the issue, share the links.  Work together!

Hiker

[ New ]

As soon as I mentioned GoPro problems on YouTube, I started to get thumbs down so I stopped making videos.

Hiker

[ New ]

WTF are you even defending this faceless F@cked up **bleep** business. they run for the hills and dig their head in the sand over a problem thats been expressed SINCE SEPT/OCT 2020........ 

FOR THOSE WITH READING GLASSES YES THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN OUT SINCE LAUNCH SEPT/OCT 2020 AND NO ONE CARES TO ACKNOWOLEDGE IT FROM GOPRO - its not them its YOU!!!!!!!! - what SD, What firmware, was it manual update...... shall i copy and paste

Ohhhhhhh what a company to embrance and supporot - beer and bongs all round - we almost made it 12 months brushing it under the rug - WELL DONE GOPRO BOT TEAM - you have done us proud - keep the returns low and you get a pay rise because our support system just strings them out till the give up - YAY double bongs and beers - woohoo. 

Next year lets rinse and repeat for the HoboX

Backpacker

[ New ]

So you let GoPro win then?

I haven't seen you post a link to any complain video, post one now, bet a lot of people on this thread will give you a thumbs up.

Hiker

[ New ]
oh dude i sold my units months ago. when you know your kids are doing the crime you walk for the hills and cut yourself clean.
Backpacker

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 Maybe you should say who you're talking to?  All the posts I've seen on this page are complaining about GoPro, I haven't seen anyone defending them regarding this issue.  Can you be a bit clearer who you're talking to and what post you're on about?

Hiker

[ New ]

gopro need to come clean and admit a fundamental issue. as mentioned i'm out but tune in to see this ship sink. We've purged all our HoBo products and just want to see the shareholders braindead perception die. simple - the passion for the product is loooooong gone in preference of prooooooofits

Hiker

[ New ]

when a company is run buy the greed of shareholders and this "ONE TRICK PONY" is out of tricks well........

WHAT DO YOU DO.

pump the one trick pony full of drugs..... expect it to do unimaginable things from where it was 5 years ago... and think thats OK???? yep great development progress there.

just because our tech 5 years ago was SOOOOO FKCING cool we could ramp it up a notch!!!! our stupid customers won't use the camera inside a car with "NO AIRFLOW" , people won't use it as a webcam as advertised.  we're selling this to dubsckulls - YAY bong on people

Backpacker

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 Are you working for GoPro?  You seem to be doing your best to bury the advice that people were given as how to get results.  Stop doing GoPro's job for them and trying to hide the advice, your inane offtopic comments are not helping anyone here.  If you want to rant and rave, create your own seperate thread, but stop hijacking this one and stopping people from getting the advice that they need to get a result from GoPro.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Hi Folks, I'll be reposting my advice in order to stop people from trying to bury it or hide advice on how to get results from GoPro by bringing the issue into public light.  

So I'm not affected by the Audio pops issue myself, but I do intend to make a video about this.  For all of you who are affected though and are angry about the whole thing (and rightfully so!), I will offer you the following......

1:  GoPro doesn't seem to have deleted any complaints from here.  People (rightfully) pointed out that the complaints page dropped in count, so what's going on?  Well GoPro simply increased the amount of posts per page thus reducing the overall number.  Why?  Because people logging onto the forums to complain about other things wouldn't see a sh*t ton of pages complaining about an issue.  So they did it to decrease the perception of it being a huge issue without deleting comments.  This is pretty underhanded IMHO.

2:  You're all complaining on the forum and getting nowhere.  You're even complaining that GoPro are ignoring you and people need to be made aware of the issue.  Well GoPro aren't going to do that unless the issue is brought to the public eye, and posting about it in GoPro's "Member only" forum isn't going to achieve that.  The only people who are going to know about the issue are those who already suffer from the issue (and therefore bother to read this thread) and ....... that's about it.  So bring it to the publics attention.  If you have a YouTube account, Make a video about the issue that shows the issue and post the link here.  Everyone here, watch the video's, click "like" and "subscribe" to the channel.  Those of you who don't have YouTube or can't make a video about the issue, if you have TikTok, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook...  post the links to the video's that other people have made.  Everytime there's a new link, post it across your social media.  If GoPro make a post on their social feeds showing off their camera, comment and ask about the audio pop issue and post the link to this thread.  The only way to make a change, is to force a change.  If GoPro can keep it quiet, and if they are happy enough to confine things to this thread so others don't know about it, then it's time to make them even more famous and bring the issue to light.

3:  Some people have wondered why some "professional reviews" haven't even mentioned this issue.  So ask them.  Post it clearly on their social media feeds and ask them why they choose to overlook this issue and not mention it to the public.  

Like I said, the Audio Pop issue doesn't affect me, Im either using no audio (using a music track instead) or recording with the media mod.  However that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist or that it's not affecting you, the paying customer who have been met with silenceThis is not fair, and it's not right for all you users.  I intend to make a video about this issue in a fair and balanced manner and I do want to lend my support to all users out there who feel cheated or angry by GoPro's stance.  After all, from the few video's I've seen and some of the comments here, it's not the issue that angers people the most, they'd just be happy if GoPro would apologise, admit there's an issue, give an update (good or bad) and if they can't fix it, then give paying customers either a gift voucher (not a "cannot be combined with other discounts code") or a discount on the next Hero Camera (which would benefit GoPro too as their honesty and apology would go a long way to retaining you as a paying customer).

So that's my advice folks, bring this issue into the light, make it public and don't just complain about the issue here on this thread.  

As soon as I have my video done (and I intend to start making it today, I'll post the link here).  So honestly folks, that's the only way you're going to see a response or movement from GoPro.  Don't just complain on the thread, post your video, show the issue, share the links.  Work together!

Adventurer

[ New ]

SNAP, Crackle and Poop

Backpacker

[ New ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6tnF31zr4

Famous glitter bomb internet engineer Marc Rober posted a video regarding why sharks attack GoPro's.  He used 21 GoPro's to capture these sharks in action.  So I left him the following comment:

Why not investigate the reported Audio Popping issue on the GoPro Hero 9 instead? As an engineer, surely you should be able to figure out why this could be happening. Why the official GoPro solution is "wait 2 minutes for your camera to heat up before shooting"? Why not investigate why so many people are having issues when using the Sandisk memory card, including missing files, camera's freezing, constant error messages requiring the SD card to be formatted? Surely with 21 GoPro's, you have an abundant amount of camera's to investigate?

So come on folks, if you really are unhappy with Audio popping, get the message out there.  Leave Mark Rober a comment today!  

We investigated some shark myths like why do Sharks attack GoPros. Get your first month of KiwiCo for FREE!!! https://www.kiwico.com/markroberAlso, thanks t...
Adventurer

[ New ]
If you're a GoPro Hero 9 owner and are experiencing the dreaded audio popping/crackling, don't feel alone ! Mine just started doing it and we all need to le...
Adventurer

[ New ]
I have been waiting to do some "moto-vlogging" but, I haven't been able to get the audio right. Hours of trashed footage because it was so unusable. So I hav...
Adventurer

[ New ]
Perfect GoPro audio is like searching for the Holy Grail, and when you throw motovlogging into the mix, things just get a whole lot more complicated. The inf...
Adventurer

[ New ]
Are you having issues with the GoPro Hero 9 Black audio? Comment below with a solution or share your story!Manfrotto Monopod- https://amzn.to/31JfjmXManfrott...
Adventurer

[ New ]
On my 4th GoPro Hero 9. All have had the same issue with crackling and popping in the video especially prominent in recordings within 30-60 seconds of turnin...
Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, but if you want to watch the real deal, with popping included... this is the one Smiley Very Happy

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

@aenriquez 

@mariustanya 

@jefft 

@haindash 

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Abnormal sounds are also recorded in the video that was shot now.

https://youtu.be/4XpSXoiPs0w

The firmware version of the camera is "v1.6".

The microSD card used is "SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 64GB".

Tourist

[ New ]
Das Problem besteht seit der GPH8!
https://youtu.be/eteQCLoC_Yc
🤯
Nomad

[ New ]

GoPro cant fix it. They will probably try and fix it with the Hero 10, but who knows wat other bugs and issues they will add to the growing list.

Adventurer

[ New ]

60 days away to the pre-order hero 10 a secret there will be SPecial issues in that.

Hiker

[ New ]

They have lost me along with dozens of other Gopro mates/friends who either have stuck with their 7, sold their 8/9 for a 2nd hand H7 or OA. they need to pay me to buy another product of theirs! their subscription retention and accessories sales will be horid in the birthday report of bundling with cameras - canceled mine months ago and not a single gopro sunglasses youtube review!!

i'll never support a business who's ethics are SOOO low to consumers they don't offer a direct email address or phone number for support.... i can buy a crisp clip let alone an action camera from banggood or aliexpress of all places and their support leaves gopro in the dust . all these fancy bells and whistles that aren't reliable just don't cut the mustard. 

A product is only as good as your support and GOPOP you have failed us with top scores for the last 2 generations!!! well done and wear that medal proudly as it won't be stolen any time soon!

their current offering is a fat overweight brick lacking in reliability to capture your once in a lifetime moments i won't gamble on. 

i hope the competition rollout their offerings which i suspect they will to knock the Gopro X out of the park! a milestone to remember!

Sightseer

[ New ]

So I shouldnt buy a hero 9?

Looks like gopro **bleep** the bed with this issue

Hiker

[ New ]

Regarding this video linked by u/fishycomics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiANbVdmEc&t=212s

I like Teapotone but he made this video in April claiming to have solved the crackling/popping for good.... He has commented in a more recent video that he's been having the same problem again.  Personally I don't think this problem can be/will be fixed otherwise it would have been by now.

Perfect GoPro audio is like searching for the Holy Grail, and when you throw motovlogging into the mix, things just get a whole lot more complicated. The inf...
Adventurer

[ New ]

All I showed what people put up on the net. hardly anyone here does,

Tourist

[ New ]

I have contacted the dealer for a return. they accepted. So the solution here is that you should complain and return it to the seller if there is a warranty period.
I will wait for a better product.
( from Vietnam )

Adventurer

[ New ]

As with any new product, you have that Return Period, Use it if unsatisfied, but many do not because they bought it, put to the side and when ready to use, it's too late.

Gopro is the hardest place to  get satasfaction

a brick store Like Bestbuy is probably the best place because not  just a 14 day full refund, but a 90 day restocking fee, would you want to lose all funds after  30-days, or some funds after 90 days?

Well  only a handful complain that is the issue not all care to complain. so why the Popping is stil laround

Backpacker

[ New ]

"So I shouldnt buy a hero 9?

Looks like gopro **bleep** the bed with this issue"

The best answer is "it depends".

October should see the release of the next model GoPro, so it may not be worth your while investing in the 9 at this point since a newer model is due in a few months.

The GoPro Hero 9 does have an audio pop issue.  GoPro so far have only offered the solution of leaving the camera on for 2 minutes to warm up before using it.  Some have reported this fixes the issue, some report that it only improves the issue.  For me, when I only use the GoPro on motor vehicles or airplanes,  I'm not using audio, so the pops are not an issue.  When I do want to use audio, I'm usually recording with a media mod and external mics in which case, audio pops are not present.  So it's really going to depend on how you want to use the camera.  For music, interviews, any case where you'd be wanting to use external mics or run a line in, audio pops won't be an issue.  For motor use, planes, boats, any place where audio wouldn't be useful (due to excessive wind noise), audio pops won't be an issue.  However for any use where you want to have audio without using an external sound source or the media mod, then audio pops will affect your recording.