Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

It's been 8 months now. They are not able to fix the problem. They are busy with copyright law suits and other stuff. Sell it.

Hiker

[ New ]

I just got my Hero 9 Bundle about a week ago. I hear the popping sound too but it seems to be within the first minute or so as some has stated, But come on Go Pro! What the heck is going on here?! You charge us a lot of money for these cameras and advertise them as the best on the market but are constantly selling a faulty product and doing absolutely nothing about looking after your customers. Do something!! But obviously your customers have been begging you for the last 88 pages I've read on this forum about this issue so it's obvious you are not about to do anything for us. So much for product confidence. 

If you are not going to fix this refund our money or promise us a large rebate when your Hero 10 Black is released with a rebate code which I bet will probably be this year and give us a Media Mod as a quick fix until then. With the money your charge for your Go Pro cameras you would think that much more R&D would go into your product before you release it. 

This is my first ever Go Pro Camera. I will admit that I absoloutely love the picture quality. I shoot in 5K 30fps and the image is stunning. But the audio which would otherwise be very good for an action camera is ruined by the audio crackling issue. 

I was excited about this camera and a long term relationship with Go Pro products. But after reading all this and not reading anything from your support team with at least some compensation for your customers only leads me to think that you really don't give a darn about your customers anymore. For that reason I may be returning my camera for a refund and buying an Insta 360 One R. Very sad service Go Pro Team. Very Sad. 

I've also ordered a Chesty Mount and  a Car Suction Cup thinking that this camera and Go Pro cameras were for me. I usually stick with a brand that offers great product and great sevrice. I have not read that on this forum. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Give the camera back if Co is in the way. Gopro can't fix this.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'll try leaving the camera on for two minutes to see if that will fix the issue for me. You're right. It appears that they have ran out of any other solution to fix the audio problem and that's fine. They can only try. BUT they should offer the choice of a refund beyond 30 days knowing that this issue can't be fixed with firmware updates. OR supply us with the media mod which although renders the camera useless under water will at least fix the audio issue.

Believe me I'm not a person who rants about every little thing. I'm willing to accept some small design flaws that I can live with. I love this camera and I really want to find a solution. But it does bother me to read 88 pages of people loving their camera and trying everything to fix it themselves and only get a reply from Go Pro telling us "We are working to find a solution" It's been several months now. 

IF THE GO PRO SUPPORT TEAM ARE STILL  READING THESE COMPLAINTS  let them contact me by phone or email within the next 5-7 business days. I'm a subscriber and they have all my email and phone info. Or they can respond here with a direct contact number for me to speak with someone. I the meantime I'll hold my breath!

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez 

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this issue?

Or is it a defective product that cannot be resolved without replacing the camera body?

I want to know only these two points.

I am waiting for your reply.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the latest firmware update, the recommended SD card that came with the bundle. As with all the other cases discussed over the past several months none of it makes any difference to fixing the audio issue. All the recommended options are a total waste of time.

Hiker

[ New ]

My GoPro Hero 9 doesn't have audio pops.  You might want to consider contacting GoPro for warranty.

Hiker

[ New ]

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. It seems to be an issue for many even after replacement cameras. Or you may have a mild issue and have not noticed it. Mine is most noticeable when beginning my video especially in a quieter situation. Most describe it as a popping sound, some a crackling sound. To some it may even sound like someone gently tapping on a mic. To me it sounds more like a crackling sound or a bad microphone cord.

Adventurer

[ New ]

tell all the exact settings

Hiker

[ New ]

I've used all kinds of settings including default.  I don't have the problem.  I have really good ears.   I didn't watch the video below, but he said he fixed it and it's a setting problem.  I guess you could try it.   Trust me, if I had the crackling/popping problem, I would be on the phone with GoPro ASAP.   GoPro had probably sold more than 500,000 Hero 9s.  This thread represents a tiny fraction of units sold.  If the youtube video doesn't help you, get on the phone/chat with GoPro Customer Support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiANbVdmEc

Perfect GoPro audio is like searching for the Holy Grail, and when you throw motovlogging into the mix, things just get a whole lot more complicated. The inf...
Hiker

[ New ]

I appreciate your help. I will check it out. Glad you dont have the issue. Even if defeating the wind setting elimiates the issue though it still must be an issue of some sort with the internals. Im guesing the audio compression or ALC. 

It appears you don't have the issue at all even when the mic is set to auto. Mine is nowhere near as bad so far as in the video. Just a few snap crakle pops at the beginning and sometimes at the end in quieter situations. 

Thanks again for reaching out. We'll see if Go Pro Support team reaches out to me in the next week or so. Cheers.

Tourist

[ New ]

@hardylift1521 wrote:

I've used all kinds of settings including default.  I don't have the problem.  I have really good ears.   I didn't watch the video below, but he said he fixed it and it's a setting problem.  I guess you could try it.   Trust me, if I had the crackling/popping problem, I would be on the phone with GoPro ASAP.   GoPro had probably sold more than 500,000 Hero 9s.  This thread represents a tiny fraction of units sold.  If the youtube video doesn't help you, get on the phone/chat with GoPro Customer Support.

Do you really think we didn't try all the settings, tricks etc? I do believe you and many others have no problem, but most of us here on these pages do have an issue with it. And after talking for hours with support (I chatted for + 5h) we got a replacement, that for most of us had identical problems. Not everyone is complaining on the forum, some will never notice as they record sound over it in post and many are using an adapter or mod that eliminates the problem.

I guess you are just lucky and we aren't.

Hiker

[ New ]
Try setting wind noise reduction to off. The pops are most pronounced in that mode
Hiker

[ New ]

I'll post this video again in case anyone missed it the first time.  If the youtube video doesn't help, call/chat with GoPro Support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiANbVdmEc

Perfect GoPro audio is like searching for the Holy Grail, and when you throw motovlogging into the mix, things just get a whole lot more complicated. The inf...
Hiker

[ New ]

The moto-vlogger in the video is using external microphones and media mods. His video is irrelevant to the issue here that is happenning while using the built-in mics. And after the 1.52 latest firmware the wind reduction auto setting reduces the pops somewhat, but if you set the wind reduction to OFF you get PLENTY of pops and cracks especially during the first 30 sec of video, like in my video here 

https://youtu.be/WUVgvW1MD9U

Hiker

[ New ]

Right.  What part of "call GoPro Customer Support" are you having trouble with?   Do I need to dumb it down for you?  Get the camera replaced under warranty or throw it in the trash and move on to a different brand.   Hopefully you didn't spend your entire life savings on a cheap consumer electronic device. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Dude, someone already told you. Mots of us probably already got the replacement, and it have the same problem...

Hiker

[ New ]

My camera doesn't have popping/crackling.  You got unlucky.  Contact GoPro and get your camera replaced under warranty.  GoPro has sold hundreds of thousands of Hero 9.  I'm sorry for your bad luck.  Contact GoPro and get your camera replaced.  

Hiker

[ New ]

Maybe you got lucky actually. I have a friend who had one that didn’t pop until a few weeks later or so. You wouldn’t hear it underneath a motorbike anyway.

As for Customer Support.... have you tried dealing with them?

Some had cameras swapped which still popped and CS refused a refund on swapped cameras!

Tourist

[ New ]

Seriously... Go away?  You aren't helping with anything.  Those of us that have been dealing with this have tried everything, including a replacement that is as bad (if not worse) than the original.  They know they have an issue and yet pretend like it's the first time they've ever heard of it when you contact them.  I was on online chat with them for over 2 hours one night where they made me upload a video of the issue and then take a pic of my serial number, etc.  It took almost a month for the replacement unit to arrive and it was worse than the original.  The video that you felt the need to link twice is comparing apples to oranges.  Not everyone wants to spend $90 for the Pro Media mod.  As soon as I can find it within myself to be patient for another two hours and talked to like I'm a 95 year old, I'm going to initiate the replacement process.  AGAIN.  In the meantime, I'm giving them as much bad press and warning as many people as I can on Social Media so they steer clear of this model that has a KNOWN defect. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I watched the video mate but your are completely missing the point , most of us on here for the last 6 months have been trying to sort this audio popping . You come along with the holy grail ? you are using the media mod when the rest of us are using the audio straight out of the camera . I also have the media mod and have no popping when using this , but I like to use my gopro without it and just a wind slayer on .

I recieved my replacement gopro this week after waiting well over a month and guess what it still pops away in auto wind or wind off , so explain this my friend .

Your video clearly shows using the media mod , so come back when you have sorted this out without the use of a media mod . 

Gopro need to admit there failings and either sort it finally or refund us our money back. 

Hiker

[ New ]

You're right guys. My bad.  I have a better idea now.

1. Keep your defective GoPro Hero 9

2. Don't contact GoPro Customer Support

3.  Let your warranty expire.

4.  Keep whining and complaining in this thread for the next 5 years

Hiker

[ New ]

Many people have already contacted GoPro. We know what does (or doesn’t) happen.

You seem to be quite unaware how crap their customer support has mostly been, depending on which kid and script you get at the other end.

Great that yours is working. Hope that continues because it didn’t for my friend. His problem appeared a month or two later.

You are giving advice to people who have already taken the route you suggest and got nowhere. In fact, some in a worse position with a swapped camera that they refuse to refund on because it’s not the original camera.

There is a problem with many cameras and GoPro support. (or rather lack of support.)

Your example of non popping audio was done on a motorbike with the adapter, which bypasses the problem we’re talking about. That just shows you don’t really understand what the problem is; especially with the noise floor of a motorbike. Take the adapter off and use the internal mics indoors with no noise. Hopefully, you don’t have the popping sounds.

if you notice it, then tell us what you did about it so we can all do the same!

Tourist

[ New ]

@hardylift1521 wrote:

You're right guys. My bad.  I have a better idea now.

1. Keep your defective GoPro Hero 9

2. Don't contact GoPro Customer Support

3.  Let your warranty expire.

4.  Keep whining and complaining in this thread for the next 5 years

You're quite the simple one, aren't ya?  You are adding nothing at all to this conversation.  Most of us have already been through the ringer and have obtained a replacement only to have the problem show up again (in my case it was worse with the replacement).  Trust me, I'm not giving up until I obtain a product that isn't defective.  Until then and even after, I will go WAY out of my way to spread the word about the inferior after sales customer service.  You either work for Go Pro or are one of the many cute little Fan Bois.  What makes you think that people haven't contacted Customer Support?

Hiker

[ New ]

After reading the responses in this thread, I would suggest that you have your Mom or Dad contact GoPro Customer Support.   Good luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, my response wasn’t rude or sarcastic. And I’m a grandad I’m afraid at 67.

Your posts have told people with problems and experience of customer support what to do because you don’t seem to have a problem.

Therefore, you aren’t actually helping anyone by writing posts or leaving a video with an audio adapter on a motorbike. You just show that you don’t understand exactly what the problem is and now you’re starting the sarcasm

Happy Easter. Film it in the quiet on internal mics for us.

In the meantime, I do think that all of us with the problem need to work as a group in some way to getthe cameras back to GoPro. GoPro have had something like 8 months to fix it. I think the answer is a free GoPro X. They ought to be replacing them but won’t until a larger group takes action.

There must be some solicitors amongst us.

Hiker

[ New ]

Happy Easter to you.  You can donate the camera to your church.  Your church can use it in camera mode or time warp mode.....which doesn't use audio.  Or they might use it in video mode with a seperate audio track.  And then go out and buy yourself a different camera and move on with your life.

Hiker

[ New ]

LOl. I’m afraid I’m not religious but my Happy Easter comment was basically to disregard your rudeness and stupidity which I’m glad you got the flavour of as your response shows. Why do you give out so much useless advice?

I have a Pocket, Pocket 2, Osmo Action a GoPro 7 and this awful GoPro 9. My GoPro 5 overheated which is why I bought the 7. So I don’t need to replace the 9 really but thanks for the suggestion. 

Since you are responding like a child and commenting on things people have already written about there is not a lot more to say then eh? Other than try to insult us because we have a problem with our cameras.

Hope you get your eggs tomorrow. ;)

Hiker

[ New ]

To all the people with audio problems following this thread, follow the advice of the sign at the zoo: Don’t Feed the Monkies.

A person with a camera that works perfectly doesn’t go looking on forums for solutions to problems they don’t have, they happily use the camera oblivious to the fact that any problems exist for anyone else. Clearly someone who comes onto a forum about a problem with a camera that they don’t have, insulting all the people who do have the problem, is either a GoPro employee or in some other way invested in the company. In the end they’re just making themselves look like an idiot, and making GoPro look even worse than they did before (hardly thought that was possible, but there you go!) 

It’s no good being reasonable or logical with monkies because they’re just going to continue to be monkies. 

So for the sake of your own sanity, stop feeding the monkey. 

Hiker

[ New ]

LOL. Sorry, I was just having a bit of fun.......

Hiker

[ New ]

Me too 😄

Nomad

[ New ]

@sunlit777 wrote:

His video is irrelevant to the issue here

But LOL Smiley LOL have some respect for the effort please!

Hiker

[ New ]
This is just a troll guys. Just report him.
Hiker

[ New ]

LOL. 😂

Happy Easter.

Tourist

[ New ]

Capture.JPG

As I mentioned, I'm going to do my best to spread the word about the popping and crackling.  As you can see, Go Pro acknowledged this and simply told me to make sure to "warm up my camera" and that should help my issue.  They are still working to understand and fix the issue.  Hence, they have admitted there is an issue.  I bought mine last October and didn't realize until sometime over the holidays how bad the problem was.  I returned one and received a replacement a month later.  The replacement is worse.  I'm not sure I've seen them come out this blatantly to admit there is an issue.  I do believe I saw several pages back where they did, but not as blatant as this post.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem here. Talked to 4 different agents yesterday about it and all 4 of them disconnected from our chat. Very unprofessional! Managed to get this response though....
PXL_20210404_222500906.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @amendoa26

Sorry to hear about what happened. We'll have the case sent for review.

The product team is still working to understand and fix theudio issue. As a workaround, warm up your camera (simply by having it on) for about 2 minutes prior to starting the recording. This has shown to help prevent the audio popping from showing up in the video.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

The having it on for two minutes is a nice story....it just doesn't work. Have you guys looked into the media mod further? When plugging in any TRS 3.5mm cord it doesn't not click in. There is a ton of play! After 16hrs of vigerous testing, multiple cables, splitters and microphones it all ends in the same result! SNAP CRACKLE POP KELLOGS RICE KRISPIES. 

https://youtu.be/r7RTsfBGdIM

GOPRO Hero 9 sounds like popcorn!
Hiker

[ New ]

@amendoa26 WOW thats up there with the worst gopop around.

We'll i'm done with Gopro and sold my popcorn brick at a small loss; with that good luck to everyone holding onto hope that this ghostly company will make your paperweight usable - I'd put good money down to say they won't (its a sure bet!) and honestly i don't think they can being 6+ months in the making

My pledge is to NEVER buy another Gopop product ever again and spread the word as far and wide as i can - Insta/Sony/DJI here i come my gopop $$$ are yours for the taking

Below is my parting sentimate to Gopro as a company and i'll raise a glass watching this titanic do what titanics do

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this issue?

Or is it a defective product that cannot be resolved without replacing the camera body?

I want to know only these two points.

I'm not listening to a workaround (turn on the camera and wait for 2 minutes).

I'm waiting for your reply.

Hiker

[ New ]

I bought 3 GoPRo 9 and they all have this problem. I'm returning them to Amazon one at a time ... now I only have one left that I will return when Dji releases the new osmo action.

If in the meantime Dji releases the Osmo Action update I will change brands. DJI is much more attentive and reliable to its customers.

I have talked to various GoPro operators in recent months and one even speculated that the problem was my computer near the machine that releases electrostatic discharges .... Others said they didn't hear the pops on the example videos I sent them.

The majority say they know nothing about this problem and that this is the first time they have heard this report.

Unfortunately it is clear that they are instructed by their superiors to "ignore" the problem because they do not have a solution. And if the solution doesn't exist then it means it's a hardware problem.

I was also able to talk to some of their GoPro ambassadors and they confirmed that their cameras also have this problem ... And GoPro may not even realize that many of them are using INSTA360 more and more (One R, Go2 etc. ..) that works better and gives more guarantees.

Too bad GoPro. By now, even the stones know that if you don't help your customers sooner or later you will cut your own legs.

Hiker

[ New ]

they have tried to polish a turd....... its always going to be "a TURD" 

Gopro the one trick pony has done its dash and others are pulling ahead with no lawsuits

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm still considering what to do with my Hero 9. It's obviously no point in sending it back and probably getting a worse one. Even if Go Pro offered  Hero 9 customers a deep discount towards a Hero 10 when released would be helpful. But they seem to be doing nothing but try to fix a camera that in about 6 months will be in the Hero flagship history book. 

This was my first Go Pro camera. I usually stick with a company when I find a good product. For example for high end camcorders I've stuck with Sony with the past 30 years and currently own a high end Sony AX 700. But honestly if Go Pro don't make it right with customers on this in some way I won't be back. I know they are trying to fix this but if Go Pro is listening.......for those of us who want to hold out with this camera please offer us something for your mistake. I think that's the least you can do. I'm not here to bash you, I just want a fair consumer solution for the holders of this camera. I say that respectfully. 

Nomad

[ New ]
Is this a joke about warming up the camera before capture? Than tell me how to use a "quick capture" function? I use it a lot. How to prepare the camera for every "quick capture" video. Just shut up if you have nothing to say. Fu....g company. You gave me a replacement with the same fu....g problem. Waiting for a DJI to release new camera.
Hiker

[ New ]

For those willing to manually fix this. Here are 3 ffmpeg steps you could automate.
I tested these on OSX using ffmpeg 4.3.2
This approach removes the front microphone channel from the raw audio and replaces the mp4 audio with the raw audio file without the front mic channel (the one with the pops).

Starting with 2 files:
GX010107.mp4
GX010107.wav

The recording settings used:

- Raw audio in the "Low" processed setting ( the format is .wav file )

- "Wind" setting turned to "Off"

Following @isaakonfire his recommendations.
See: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-9-audio-pops/m-p/1017867/highlight/true#/M197909

Step 1: Of the 4 channels in GX010107.wav map the second channel to left, and the third channel to right in a new stereo file.
 ./ffmpeg -i GX010107.wav -af "pan=stereo|c0=c1|c1=c2" GX010107-2-channel.wav

Step 2: Increase audio volume with 40 dB.
 ./ffmpeg -i GX010107-2-channel.wav -filter:a "volume=40dB" GX010107-2-channel-40dB.wav

Step 3: encode new stereo file into the video, without reencoding the video.
./ffmpeg -i GX010107.mp4 -i GX010107-2-channel-40dB.wav -c:v copy -map 0:v:0 -map 1:a:0 GX010107-fixed.mp4

Note wav and mp4 duration were not exactly the same, ffmpeg -info shows: 
wav: Duration: 00:03:30.50
mp4: Duration: 00:03:30.58
But I do not notice the difference in the new mp4 file

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, if we remember that the front mic is kind of the main one that picks up most of the sound from in front of the camera, that is where the main action is, we'll be throwing away the better part of the audio following your procedure.

Hiker

[ New ]

@sunlit777 In my case the remainder of the audio is quite good, and the result without pops is quite better than the original one with pops.
You could try yourself and let us know your results. If I look at the 4 channel audio file in Audacity the three channels also look quite similar. In Audacity you can easily mute the first channel: try yourself. But of course different situations might have different results.

For me I will wait to see if there will be a fix in an upcoming firmware. I record the additional raw data for the time being.
I love the video quality, the audio is a hit and mis at this moment. Therefor I spend this time automating a workaround, and share it with you.

Hiker

[ New ]
I shot about 20 hours of footage so far on my hero and there worst is the first minute and then it clears up so I’m hanging in for now to see what Go Pro will do for me. It’s not worth sending it back and getting way worse from what I’ve been reading about other hero 9 owners.
Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 I requested a refund 24hrs ago. I received my mailing labels instantly, however did not receive the secondary email with RMA form. Are you folks trying to make me go over my 30 day money back return???? This is just ignorance and bad business. I don't want to be stuck with this garbage anymore. PLEASE ADVISE!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @amendoa26

Please reach out to Support to follow up on your case.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej