Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

@andregixxer well it seems like WIND->ON setting does reduce the microphone sensitivity but like @vitalwave4384 says it converts it to mono instead of stereo maybe to avoid having one mic too low and the other one normal which may cause a strange effect.

Been testing with the Audio Raw settings because it produces a .WAV file split in two stereo tracks ( left & right ) then another two that are empty, hoping I could increase in post the lowered micro, but no, strange results:

In the "High processed-RAW" setting is the same sound to me as without RAW, in the "Minimal processed" seemed like the lowered high pitch mic in only 1 of the 4 tracks but no trace of the other mic and in the "medium processed" that was expecting GoPro to split the two mics each in its own track it didn't even record anything!

Tourist

[ New ]

I had my GoPro 9 exchanged before Christmas and the new one worked for a while,  this weekend I can hear the popping sounds again.  I do like the picture quality and ease of use but is it best to ask for a refund or wait till they come up with a solution that fits all?  what fix could thru possibly offer?

Hiker

[ New ]
With the “wind on” setting you lose stereo recording, be aware of that. And “much better, but still pops” is still a faulty camera
Hiker

[ New ]
My guess is that “wind on” turns on smart processing whereby camera detects which mic is more affected by wind and only keeps recording with the other. That is why you get mono and less pops,
Nomad

[ New ]

@emu4wd I'm trying to gather info from other users, have you tried the setting: WIND -> ON ? Some users here, me included, eliminate the popping in the audio by changing to this setting.

I would appreciate if you can confirm or deny that, I know this is not a solution and the camera is still faulty, but I want know what could actually be the problem and if there is maybe a software solution or the cameras are totally trash in which case would help also decide whether to keep or not the camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire 

Everything leaving gopro in the last 2+ years is overpriced under supported/tested trash - starting with the H8 - send it back to the abyss it came from. the 7 was satisfactory and still not polished to match the price tag it carries from new

1. Camera H9 = Trash
    1. Popping has been there since launch
      1. PLUS half the features didn't work at launch
        1. covid covid covid - that excuse has run its course and your a tech company not a slaughter house where you need people in a premisis to do your job
    2. Lines through the screen since December
    3. Locking up and crashing since the 7 maybe 5.... went from a 3= that worked to a 7 personally
    4. bit of a trend going on here
    5. Oh and then your H8 and prior accessories don't work = sucker punch there
  2. Camera H8 = Ok with fundamental issue being NON SERVICABLE - A non replaceable lens = BIG FAIL = a great deal of desktop stress testing there thinking it won't get damaged and needing replacment at some point in its life.
  3. Pre sales support = Trash - they won't take your credit card
  4. Support = trash
  5. Warranty support = Trash
  6. Forum System =Trash - scouring 2500 pages to find your issue that the search bar shows you issues in an unrelated camera - yep great testing there again gopro. starting to think you don't actually use or test your own resources/products
  7. software = trash - oh sorry what software outside a tiny smart phone that in gopro's book will overheat your H9 
    1. WOW powerhouse move there Gopro and thats what you asked us to use the "the" remote
  8. accessories that actually do something (i,e, oversized smart watch remote that you can't use in the dark or tell the time from) = trash

packaging is recyclable  = ONE tick

and thats JUST the surface issues with this mob

Adventurer

[ New ]

SNap, Crackle, Pop, sounds like Rice crispys.  

Nomad

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 wrote:

packaging is recyclable  = ONE tick

:_)

Hiker

[ New ]

I started this thread on ‎09-18-2020. It's been 5 months now. They are not going to fix this problem. That's because it's an hardware issue and they just can't take them all back. They trust you'll forget this when Hero 10 arrives. Not me.

I don't know about you but Hero 9 is the last Gopro I'll ever buy. I still have one but I've returned two and sold one. The last one I'll keep only because I was stupid enough and trusted they would fix this and spent too much for accessories. Gopro sucks big time.

Tourist

[ New ]
Everybody needs to constantly post this issue on their social media pages so more people will see it. I'm sure if everyone bombards their social media platforms then they will have to take action to disperse the negatively but so far I don't see many people doing this
Nomad

[ New ]

-It was for this gigantic post thread that i was able to inform and make the decision of returning my camera.

-I don't think it's necessarily a hardware thing, only, I'm getting an idea that even if it's "only a software problem" if they admit it officially would mean that almost every camera owner, as this issue is probably in all cameras in some degree, could claim their legitimate right for indefinite replacements.

That's why, apart from sharing info between us and making it visible, I don't think confronting publicly GoPro with this problem is going to solve anything, I suspect they are avoiding it at all cost for the fatal economical consequences.

Hiker

[ New ]

I think that GoPro are shooting themselves in the foot for the next model.

There are regular adverts coming up on Facebook for a cut price package. People complaining about poor delivery times and problems with the camera and/or customer service.

So they may well have had problems in the past, but the next camera might well be a sitting duck.

If they actually manage to fix the problem, then many will be so relieved and so to some extent, they will be helping themselves keep afloat. So I’m guessing that they must be keen to fix the issue or run into problems in order to keep going. 

The fact that they both say nothing and haven’t found a fix shows that this might well be a difficult one so GoPro will be limping into the next model if there is one.

My camera has sat in a cupboard since October. I don’t footage with pops and so moved on. An expensive mistake. When you make a mistake, you don’t do it again and GoPro will reap the rewards of this camera n the next issue.

I’d love to know how the designers and testers didn’t find the problems in the first place. Even the intitial design and testing seems flawed because no GoPro, since the 5 has emerged as a clean, working camera.

i recently got a Sony ZV-1 and a Canon M50. Imagine them coming out in this state. It wouldn’t happen.

Nomad

[ New ]
I've bought in the past photography products, exceptional in specs but very cheap price, that confirmed this pattern: functional but with a ridiculous defect that compromises the whole thing. For me it's clear, bad manufacturing don't pay off, and if it does is only through fooling customers.
Nomad

[ New ]

@ianc408 fatal blow is what it should be then - i'll share this thread far and wide as should others - youtube vids, forums, facebook you name it

play stupid games therefore win stupid prizes. As a company Gopro win my wooden spoon award which is a compliment really - there should be an award below that as a wooden spoon still implies you tried but not well; they don't even try to rectify anything and communicate with customers in a humane and diplomatic way. Our posts are like the camera "Hot potato" pass it onto the next person

the jokers working on this forum probably don't even own a camera let alone know what to do - HENCE they handball it to the call back service

RIP Gopro - always remember "PRICE IS ONLY AN ISSUE IN THE ABSENCE OF VALUE" and gopro you add "0" value to your products.

I won't have a minutes silence watching you sink, i won't shed a tear, i won't even loose a minutes sleep. You paved your own way 6' under and i just hope you stay there for the action camera market sake as its days are numbers - still happy with my 7 for now just waiting for a REAL company with ethics to step up and take the throne

Adventurer

[ New ]

$$$ first Customer last, 

Hiker

[ New ]

post bump for investors to find it easy. as a new investor though i'd share this forum with those backing the deaf leading the blind

Adventurer

[ New ]

or the poor getting poorer  due to companies greed.

Tourist

[ New ]

So seriously though, without reading through 78 pages - why is this marked solved?  I returned my first camera (it took almost a month to receive the replacement) and it's as bad or worse than before - what to do?

Nomad

[ New ]

Just whine to the shareholders. 

Hiker

[ New ]

fear and greed are two human traits that are easy to trigger

once investors who probably don't even know what gopro make find out how poorly customers are treated and discover the return rate and drop of subscribers coming end of the year they'll pull out fast. Show them the cliff and they run

Bundle that with customers like myself  who ave made a pledge to never spend another cent with this company again leaves gopro in the gutter.

really all you have to do is read some of these ( https://www.trustpilot.com/review/gopro.com) and scour this forum to make a decent educated decision if the company is doing well - red flag to a bull

Nomad

[ New ]
Please, your problem with sound is from the very beginning. It has been going on for over five months now. Gopro has produced a faulty camera and is aware of it. They won't do anything about it. We have been deceived. Everyone counts that the next software fix will change or fix something. Unfortunately, nothing like that will ever happen.
Tourist

[ New ]

What kind of response even is this?  How would one do that?  What are you even talking about.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Person who created the Post accepted the resolution that points to the post that resolved it. he was BRAIN WASHED!

Tourist

[ New ]
Need to start a new topic and don't accept their "solved" solution until there is an actual fix
Adventurer

[ New ]

FW 1.52 done in  no fix to your Audio Pop

Hiker

[ New ]
Now you understood that the fuc...g popping is not software issue, and never will be fixed? @GoPro 🖕🖕🖕
Hiker

[ New ]
never....
Nomad

[ New ]

pop pop pop pop 

391ebbc19d157bb0d1a46ffef780cb0a.jpg

Fix please.... @aragon1006 @aenriquez 

Tourist

[ New ]

Guys, one last hope. Even though the new firmware does not mention an audio issue fix, I did some tests (maybe ten clips) with wind noise AUTO after installed the new FW. There are no pops so far. I am waiting for the camera to cool down, and I am gonna test my last hope again. Hope I do not have to say the F word this time. Please tell me your test results.

Nomad

[ New ]
Okay gonna check out here also. My camera is cold atm.
Nomad

[ New ]

No pop here also on cold camera. Will test more.

Oh wait. I used Wind on. Need to test with Wind off (Stereo)

Hiker

[ New ]
Tranquilli....

I pop ci sono ancora
Tourist

[ New ]

pops again. Bye GoPro

Hiker

[ New ]

Someone from Gopro marked this thread solved. The resolution was Gopro's own reply including the usual advices to format the SD card etc. I think there is no way I can make it unsolved. Or is there? I think not. But if you go to accepted resolution, you'll see it's not solved. I can't make thread unsolved but I can change what the solution post is.

Hiker

[ New ]
So here we are again another firmware update and still the camera pops , at first I thought yeah it’s gone but the dreaded pop and crackle could be heard yet again ........ what an absolute joke of a company . So the only way I can use this camera and get audio that is acceptable is to use the media mod . Shocking service from gopop cameras !!
Tourist

[ New ]

What is the "Media Mod" ? 

Nomad

[ New ]

Yep, the Media Mod is the only way, or the adapter, I have both and they both fix the audio issue. 

Disgusting conduct by GoPro..

Tourist

[ New ]

@boldridge4531 wrote:

Yep, the Media Mod is the only way, or the adapter, I have both and they both fix the audio issue. 

Did you test the adapter in very cold conditions? I still had pops, but enviromental temp. was like -7° C. I don't have the media mod as it only can be used on the 9, I also have the 8.

Tourist

[ New ]

@boldridge4531 wrote:

I'm returning my hero 9 to Argos later on today in exchange for another one. The media mod did not cure the popping when I last tried it but I also now have a Rode video micro mic so I'll try that out with the new camera. Pretty poor having to spend almost a further £110 just to try and get the thing to not pop or crackle. When I collect the new one I will do the firmware update and try it with and without the media mod and Rode video mic.We shouldn't have to go to this extreme for decent audio on what is quite an expensive camera

Adventurer

[ New ]

Lets not forget who sold you on these  , your Favorite Youtubers

Hero 10 will repeat   all over again, so be suckered by the staff and  people good Luck

Adventurer

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

Lets not forget who sold you on these  , your Favorite Youtubers

Lets thank the Manager admin and mod, the staff here for Manipulating people's posts and threads.  

Hero 10 will repeat   all over again, so be suckered by the staff and  people good Luck

Nomad

[ New ]

i had a 3+ black was awesome in its day. the 5 was great, 7 black i still have today is the pick of the bunch (8 sold, 9 i can't sell for well under cost). I backed a brand that is no longer true to its own roots - only a shareholder greed machine that wants to sell a box.... nothing more..... whats in the box is irrelavant..

I've made a personal pledge to NEVER buy a single piece of hardware from gopro and my friends and friends of friends. I'll spread the word far and wide of how manipulating they are on their own reviews, forums and youtubers that everything you see is biased. this is NOT "Fair trading" let alone honest trading.

I want to see them disappear...... the whole guilt trip from some of who's going to support your camera down the track is irrelavant again as its no longer supported from the day it hits 12 months old and the 9 is 7 months old and STILL DOESN"T WORK as advertised - dead in the water. DJI where is the action 2 we need you!

Nomad

[ New ]

You can use it in your videos, no pun intended:

GoPop.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

watch and comment on this video as a petition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjbonOG9XI

If you're a GoPro Hero 9 owner and are experiencing the dreaded audio popping/crackling, don't feel alone ! Mine just started doing it and we all need to le...
Nomad

[ New ]

Thats a company (DJI) who innovate constantly, have transparent communication with their costumers.

GoPro has alot of offices around the wolrd, but totally lost the faith to the costumer. And dont blame everything to covid.

Adventurer

[ New ]

He Probably changed his name by now

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro Go Ing.

New track from Santana ... Go Pop Pop Go Pop Pop (actually, it’s Jingo)

GoPro Don’t Know

Soon to be GonePro

Is this a ‘Not fit for purpose’ thing? Are there any solicitors on here? 

Adventurer

[ New ]

If  Iam to invest in $500.00 I will invest in it when the camera Matures and corrects other then that its a nogopro here

Adventurer

[ New ]

I saw a Hero 9 review on Youtube. The reviewer had weird audio pops on left channel. Just wanted to write here that mine pops too. It has happened two times during first day. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. Until that Hero 9 cannot be trusted as there is no way to monitor the audio.

Recap

Developers do not exist at GoPro.com,

Engineers do not exist

just topics that exist with issues. 5 months down the road and not one  good talk from an Developer at all, just a site saying we are aware, we passed this to, and look for  a firmware release., more or less they are saying thank you  stay stoked and happy filming

Nomad

[ New ]

if the media mod is the only way to fix this problem, everyone that owns a H9 should be given one of these free of charge so they can use it when audio is required.