Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 and the GoPro App - not finished??

[ New ]

Full disclosure, I am one of the biggest fans of GoPro as a really cool device.  Really.  But after this experience, I'm really beginning a journey of self-doubt.  Why does the app look unfinished for the HEro 9?  The mode settings make no sense,, with multiple options called "interval", each owiwth different values for WTF-I-don't-know.  Even the avatar for the camera on the main screen looks like a place holder.  The same app looks and works flawlessly for the Hero 5, 4, (and yes I still have it) the Hero 3. 

iPhone 6, iOS 12.5.1

Hero 9 Black v1.50.00

hero9.jpg
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 and the GoPro App - not finished??

[ New ]

And for comparison, here's a sample of the settings screen for the Hero 5 Black, which looks and behaves normally.

hero5.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mattbertapelle

Do you have the version of the app?

I am not able to replicate this. 

Would you mind restarting your phone?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

oops, meant to include that!   it's the latest from the App Store, 6.17 (3876)

Also double checked for the latest iOS, and app, and restarted it.

Thanks.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

interesting on my iPhoneX (IOS14.4) the GoPro app is  7.3.2 and looks good.....

maybe 6.17 does not support entirelly GoPro 9....

from Gopro app version history seems that only starting with 7.0 supports GP9... see below....

hope this helps,

robert

IMG_6034.png

IMG_6035.png

IMG_6036.png

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Robert -- Thanks, makes sense, I think you're right.  Really too bad.

To GoPro (if what we conclude above is correct...) - I'm not an embedded systems developer, mind you, but I am a systems engineer in systems development, and am pretty familiar with what's possible.  And for the life of me, I cannot phathom why GoPro would choose to NOT support the latest device through the very same API as all other previous models. If there's some feature that iOS 12 can't support, then don't offer that feature to those users on those phones - but don't brick the app and leave us out in the cold.  Insta360 or the DJI is looking pretty good right about now.  The ONLY reason I got the Hero 9 was for the horizion leveling and the presets.  And now I'm face with a choice to either get anew phone (not an option) or live without the app in favor of the maddeningly frustrating touch screen.

And don't even get me started on why 24fps are not available for 2.7k.  It is for 4k and 1080p - WTF not 2.7k?  But that's for another thread.