Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

This adapter works perfect with my Hero 7, but not at all on the Hero 9.

The hero 9 doesn't have the menu option to enable the external mic connection. It seems like the firmware needs an update to enable it. Same problem wit TRS and TRRS sources. It just doesn't work on the Hero 9 as of Sep 20, 2020.

I was on the phone with support as I typed this, and they made me reset the camera and do a manual update. Nothing works. They claim the support ticket will be escalated internally at their support team.

I am sure the firmware needs to be updated, to recognize an external mic source.

The Hero 9 is amazing, but it will be even better for me, once the external mic source can be used. Especially for vlogs.

The attached image shows that the Hero 9 doesn't have the input menu option, like the Hero 7 does. Nowhere else on the menu items, is there an option related to external mic source either.

IMG_7292.jpg
GoPro

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @teslatino. We have passed this along to the team. In addition to your Support case, we will also keep you posted here as soon as we hear back from the team. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Buy a zoom recorder, plug the lav into it. 1) Start recording into the lav 2) start recording with the camera. Clap a few times at the beginning and end of the video recording. Then, sync the external audio in post. Easiest work around.

GoPro sells cameras. They don't care about you after you buy. Buy at your own risk and if you are lucky, the camera will meet your needs.

Nomad

[ New ]
The external adapter did work with the shipping firmware version. Your update killed it. My guess it also killed the media mod. So don’t says it’s not comparable. Say your update has bugs that stopped it working.

Please GoPro. Start telling the truth. We are getting tired of this. Every time there is a new camera. You need to start and give yourself enough time to finish your products.

Nomad

[ New ]

@droogles

Sure, we could do that, (spending an additional $120 for an digital audio recorder) but that would defeat the reasons for getting a GoPro.  A small streamlined solution with minimum post production work.

Do you think we are whining or just complaining for fun?

We have reasonable expectations for a brand new product purchased with our money and I am sure the company will issue a firmware update to fix this issue.

It is just disappointing.

Hiker

[ New ]
Look, I’m just as disappointed as you. You mentioned an external mic so I provided a workaround. If you’re using an external mic then you’re already not using the camera in the traditional GoPro way.
Nomad

[ New ]

What is the traditional GoPro way?  A color front screen? A media mod cage? Those features is not a traditional way of using it, but they are moving that direction no?

Hiker

[ New ]

Action cams are for people who want to point and shoot and not think about traditional cameras thinghs such as editing audio, thinking about aperture, focus, exposing, light metering, etc. So the GoPro traditional way is attaching nothing to it and shooting. Within this thread, when we speak of using exteranl mics, then this is not traditionally how a GoPro is used. My resposnse is to the comment above.

Hiker

[ New ]
The comment "but that would defeat the reasons for getting a GoPro"
Hiker

[ New ]

Either be prepared to do these workarounds, send the camera back or stop buying GoPro. This is how GoPro rolls. As I first stated. GoPro doesn't care about you after they get your money. I have been buying GoPros for 10 years and that's just reality.

Hell, I sent the 8 back or sold it a total of 5 times. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I don't have a problem with producing content. I can already record on my Tascam and then sync as needed in post procustion.The reason for my original post is to help anyone else that is having the same problem, understand the reason. For people that don't want to deal with some post production work, having a better source of audio recorded directly on the footage, helps.

Regarding your comment on GoPro not caring about you after you buy... that is not my experience. I have been a customer for over 15 years and they always treat me with respect and always solve any issues and have honored their warranties.

GoPro is a great company that provides a great alternative to producing high quality content.

Hiker

[ New ]
No. It did not work with the shipping version. I tried before updating. I didn't update until all other options were exhausted, and I knew it wasn't going to work unless there was a new version. All I installed was the same firmware that I had in the first place.

However, I do agree that testing was probably sub-optimal.
Hiker

[ New ]

Missing the point. I came here to provide a workaround, period. All of the color being added here is just you all preaching to the choir. I am a GoPro 9 user too and want the feature to work just the same. If you don't care to use my workaround then fine, It's just a suggestion, a workaround.

I'm happy to hear that some people have had a good experience with GoPro/GoPro support. I have not been one of them.

Nomad

[ New ]

When you reply with a workaround/suggestion and then add:

"GoPro sells cameras. They don't care about you after you buy. Buy at your own risk and if you are lucky, the camera will meet your needs."

It means we shouldn't expect a software fix from them for a BRAND NEW CAMERA and just shut up and accept it?

GoPro should make you a Product Ambassador!

Hiker

[ New ]

Read my message again slowly if you can't understand, that without you talking about a workaround, I already save in pro equipment and I don't necessarlly need the external mic feature to work. I am just highlighting the issue for those that may be wondering why it doesn't work for them. If the adapter is sold as something that works for a particular model, then it should. That's all.

Hiker

[ New ]

We've already established that we both agree that it should work, obviously. 

Hiker

[ New ]

You said "I came here to provide a workaround, period." Hence my comment. All your posts on my thread seem angry and like you need to educate us. You totally missed the point of my original post. But it's good to know that now we're on the same page. Have a good day, sir.

Hiker

[ New ]

Seem is the key word here. If you know about syncing audio. Move on.

Hiker

[ New ]
You're so rude. You move on.
Hiker

[ New ]

@zzchu wrote:

It means we shouldn't expect a software fix from them for a BRAND NEW CAMERA and just shut up and accept it?

No, we all expect a software fix from them. What I am saying is good luck with that. I've bought their BRAND NEW CAMERA 9 times over the years and each time struggled to get "a software fix" for a camera that I expected to work without having to apply "a software fix". That's reality.

The other person mentioned anger. Well yeah, that's a normal emotion when people waste my time and money on junk cameras that seldom works. Right? If you're not angry, and happy about it, then great for you.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just to add to the discussion. I have a Hero 9 with the recent firmware update, updated the minute I got it out of the box. I also have the Media Mod. I use a Rode Lavalier GO mic and it works just fine. 

I do however, belive the Hero 9 needs a firmware update, badly. It has other issues that NEED to be dealt with.

Like it or not, day one patches and firmware updates ARE a reality with a lot of tech these days. 

5k/30 sample video here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Cc-lAk6ls&ab_channel=Zeus33rd

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the 5k on the Hero 9. More testing and experimenting needed. It seems choppy when there is fast motion involved, like whe...
Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you for the note @kingmidasnv. Good to know that it works with the media mod.
Nomad

[ New ]

Until next firmware update.. I'm sure they will be coding 24/7 to make sure they kill it as well.. cant take way from that GoPro experience..

Nomad

[ New ]

BTW, it showed up in the "Mods" section. There was no "Input/Output" menue from memory when it worked

Tourist

[ New ]

I apologize  for my poor English in advance.

Bro I have same problem. 

Gopro9 doesn't detect 3.5mm mic adaptor (of course genuine) but my Gopro8 had no any issue. However unfortunately I sold it just 1 hr before I buy Gopro9.

I just had chat with customer service guy yesterday and I shared him all video which shows problem, manual updating and mic working with other device. 

Hopefully be fixed soon.

When I had chat with GoPro CS guy, I was literally surprised because he and his team are not aware of this problem. 

Feel like,

GoPro CS : "huh! No way! you are the first one who has mic problem"

Me : ......(I am quite sure you never read articles in your Community page on Gopro Website lol)

So I guess, they never have shared bug report/problem/issue with their team.

Let's see how....

Nomad

[ New ]

There is no GoPro team. My guess there are a hand full of contractors.

The Support BOT just keeps posting the same reponce to any support questions "manually update firmware from the card"

Nomad

[ New ]

@defthike6358 wrote:

When I had chat with GoPro CS guy, I was literally surprised because he and his team are not aware of this problem. 

Feel like,

GoPro CS : "huh! No way! you are the first one who has mic problem"

Me : ......(I am quite sure you never read articles in your Community page on Gopro Website lol)

So I guess, they never have shared bug report/problem/issue with their team.

The GoPro support team will enjoy the volume of calls when the MEDIA MODS become readily available and it doesn't work. 

During my chat on  9/19 the support rep said they were aware of the issue.  Let's see how many days it takes for a fix to be delivered.

Nomad

[ New ]

@kingmidasnv wrote:

Just to add to the discussion. I have a Hero 9 with the recent firmware update, updated the minute I got it out of the box. I also have the Media Mod. I use a Rode Lavalier GO mic and it works just fine. 

I do however, belive the Hero 9 needs a firmware update, badly. It has other issues that NEED to be dealt with.

Like it or not, day one patches and firmware updates ARE a reality with a lot of tech these days. 

5k/30 sample video here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Cc-lAk6ls&ab_channel=Zeus33rd

Just saw the mod in stock as of tdday.   Do you get audio recording levels options with the mod?  Just wanted to confirm.  Curious since I'm think about getting the mod too.

Tourist

[ New ]
If you mean standard mic, standard mic + etc, likehe old Pro 3.5 mm mic adapter, then not really. With my Rode lavalier mic plugged in, the only option is standard mic and it is grayed out with no option to choose different.
Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks for the fast reply! Pulled the trigger on one since I want to contribute funding Nick Woodman's many adventures.  ;-)

Once I get the mod I will see how well it supports stereo microphones etc. It  better record in stereo like the pro mic adapter. (The form factor will be much improved compared to the dangling 3.5mm pro mic adapter.

And one thing "nice" about the plus subscription (needed to get the special price on the camera) seems to more "reasonable" prices for accessories. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@zzchu Disregard my last post. I just double checked and those options ARE there. Just like the old pro 3.5mm adapter. I apologize for the confusion.

Standard mic, standard mic+, powered mic, powered mic+ and line in are available options.

Nomad

[ New ]

Now this is GOOD information.  The "workaround" is the getting the Media Mod.

Maybe this is part of a scheme to force us to cough up some dough for the mod?  Hehe.

The conspiracy tin foil hat in me is that they may retroactively update the page for the Pro Mic adapter to drop the 9 as a supported camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro support got back to me today. This is what they said:

"Good day, I hope this email finds you well.

This is regarding using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter to your HERO9 Black camera, as we further check this issue, there's no input/output feature for the HERO9 Black camera, you need a Media Mod for the HERO9 Black in order to use an external microphone.

For reference, I attached the Product Manual here.

Please do not reply back on this email since we will be unable to receive it. Should you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to set up a callback/chat on our website (https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs) and we'd be more than happy to help!

Stay safe, Rafael!

Best Regards,

Anna B.
GoPro Support"

Tourist

[ New ]
This is **bleep**. Ridiculous!!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone! Apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing you. We've already shared this out with the team in charge and we will have firmware updates coming to improve your video and photo capture experience.

For further details, check out this link https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates.

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow, Mic adapter not compatible, webcam feature doesn't work, is there anything that does work? What is the returns policy? i can't believe I was silly enough to pay money for this thing

Hiker

[ New ]

@sweatdreams wrote:

Wow, Mic adapter not compatible, webcam feature doesn't work, is there anything that does work? What is the returns policy? i can't believe I was silly enough to pay money for this thing

Actually, the webcam feature works beautifully. I've been using it a couple of times per week.

Rather than doing a video demo of it working as a webcam, I found this one of many out there that shows it working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um5k2fl8g8w&feature=youtu.be

Regarding the Mic adapter, GoPro reached out again and said the out-of-the-box functionality to use it without the Media Mod was disabled temporarily, to fix some bugs, but that it should return in a future (hopefully the next) update. One can only hope it comes out soon, for those that don't really need the Media Mod. I did however, get the Media Mod, and it's working great for me so far.

Welcome to my channel... I just got the GoPro Hero 9 upgraded from the 7 and I wanted to see how it looks as a webcam... Which wasn't as easy as I thought it...
Tourist

[ New ]

@teslatino wrote:

@sweatdreams wrote:

Actually, the webcam feature works beautifully. I've been using it a couple of times per week.

Mind sharing some details of your set up? I'm on OS Catalina 10.15.16, it it works fine on my Hero 8, but not on my H9.

I'm considering buying the Media Mod, but I'd rather not have to spend extra to replace something that I already own to do essentially the same job.

I feel though, this is probably the only option i'll have

Hiker

[ New ]

@sweatdreams wrote:

Mind sharing some details of your set up? I'm on OS Catalina 10.15.16, it it works fine on my Hero 8, but not on my H9.

I'm considering buying the Media Mod, but I'd rather not have to spend extra to replace something that I already own to do essentially the same job.

I'm on an iMac Pro running OS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2)

In order to make it work as a webcam, you have to select GoPro connect from its USB connection menu, instead of MTP.

Hiker

[ New ]

@teslatino wrote:

@sweatdreams wrote:

I'm on an iMac Pro running OS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2)

In order to make it work as a webcam, you have to select GoPro connect from its USB connection menu, instead of MTP.

I forgot to add, that you also need to download the webcam utility application which you can find on this page: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Use-Your-GoPro-as-a-Webcam/ta-p/665493

That page also has detailsed instructions on how to use it. I think it also works on most, if not all previous GoPro models.

Good luck!

Nomad

[ New ]

@sweatdreams wrote:

Supposedly the software update for the Hero 9 is October 22? (According to another user. )

The Media Mod works well for external mics but it is buggy for me. I can't leave the camera in the Mod while connecting via USB.

The files do not appear in my import window. Not sure if it is a Mac thing.  I have to remove the camera from the mod and connect directly to my computer for access to the clips. If the new update fixes the promic adapter issue, I'm going to sell the Media Mod. Amazon is selling the battery door with a the USB cutout now.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem for me, latest update and no option for an external mic using the $50 gopro external mic input adapter... a bit ridiculous!! @GoPro, any plans to fix this regression?
I even tried resetting to factory settings to see if I could get back to the initial firmware version, but still no way to select an external audio source.
Ridiculous problem to have
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @mpowerm3. This feature on the HERO9 Black will be available on the next firmware release. Please see https://gopro.com/en/gb/news/hero9-black-launch-updates for updates. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Be nice... I think he works for GoPro.

I just don't understand why spend more money on other devices when we know that gopro can fix it.
Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro, is there a new update coming? The 3.5mm external mic using the mic adapter is still not working.
Tourist

[ New ]
Any updates? The last update didn't fix the external mic issue.
Sightseer

[ New ]
According to this Update page, it will be available sometime this month.
https://gopro.com/en/gb/news/hero9-black-launch-updates
This info came from a post a few pages back.
Tourist

[ New ]
This update didn't fix the problem
Hiker

[ New ]

Apparently, the audio fix is our November treat in yet another update.

Can’t wait for Christmas 2021 when it may actually be working properly and the ‘About’ thing reads GoPro X because the 9 joined the 8 and 7 and 6.

Tourist

[ New ]
November has come and gone and still no support for 3.5mm input, I'm literally still using my Hero 7 Black and the 9 Black is collecting dust.

Sometime in December is the latest I read from that link for the long-awaited update?