Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Reply
Hiker
Posts: 22

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

GoPro support got back to me today. This is what they said:

 

"Good day, I hope this email finds you well.

 

This is regarding using the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter to your HERO9 Black camera, as we further check this issue, there's no input/output feature for the HERO9 Black camera, you need a Media Mod for the HERO9 Black in order to use an external microphone.

 

For reference, I attached the Product Manual here.

 

Please do not reply back on this email since we will be unable to receive it. Should you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to set up a callback/chat on our website (https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs) and we'd be more than happy to help!

 

Stay safe, Rafael!

 

Best Regards,

 

Anna B.
GoPro Support"

Tourist
Posts: 2

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]
This is **bleep**. Ridiculous!!!
GoPro
Posts: 13,531

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

Hello Everyone! Apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing you. We've already shared this out with the team in charge and we will have firmware updates coming to improve your video and photo capture experience.

 

For further details, check out this link https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates.

Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

Wow, Mic adapter not compatible, webcam feature doesn't work, is there anything that does work? What is the returns policy? i can't believe I was silly enough to pay money for this thing

Hiker
Posts: 22

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

@sweatdreams wrote:

Wow, Mic adapter not compatible, webcam feature doesn't work, is there anything that does work? What is the returns policy? i can't believe I was silly enough to pay money for this thing


Actually, the webcam feature works beautifully. I've been using it a couple of times per week.

 

Rather than doing a video demo of it working as a webcam, I found this one of many out there that shows it working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um5k2fl8g8w&feature=youtu.be

 

Regarding the Mic adapter, GoPro reached out again and said the out-of-the-box functionality to use it without the Media Mod was disabled temporarily, to fix some bugs, but that it should return in a future (hopefully the next) update. One can only hope it comes out soon, for those that don't really need the Media Mod. I did however, get the Media Mod, and it's working great for me so far.

Welcome to my channel... I just got the GoPro Hero 9 upgraded from the 7 and I wanted to see how it looks as a webcam... Which wasn't as easy as I thought it...
Tourist
Posts: 8

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

@teslatino wrote:

@sweatdreams wrote:

Wow, Mic adapter not compatible, webcam feature doesn't work, is there anything that does work? What is the returns policy? i can't believe I was silly enough to pay money for this thing


Actually, the webcam feature works beautifully. I've been using it a couple of times per week.

 

Mind sharing some details of your set up? I'm on OS Catalina 10.15.16, it it works fine on my Hero 8, but not on my H9.

 

I'm considering buying the Media Mod, but I'd rather not have to spend extra to replace something that I already own to do essentially the same job.

 

I feel though, this is probably the only option i'll have


 

Hiker
Posts: 22

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

@sweatdreams wrote:

Mind sharing some details of your set up? I'm on OS Catalina 10.15.16, it it works fine on my Hero 8, but not on my H9.

 

I'm considering buying the Media Mod, but I'd rather not have to spend extra to replace something that I already own to do essentially the same job.

 

I feel though, this is probably the only option i'll have


 


I'm on an iMac Pro running OS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2)

 

In order to make it work as a webcam, you have to select GoPro connect from its USB connection menu, instead of MTP.

Hiker
Posts: 22

Re: Hero 9 and pro 3.5 mic adapter are incompatible as of yet (Sep. 20, 2020)

[ New ]

@teslatino wrote:

@sweatdreams wrote:

Mind sharing some details of your set up? I'm on OS Catalina 10.15.16, it it works fine on my Hero 8, but not on my H9.

 

I'm considering buying the Media Mod, but I'd rather not have to spend extra to replace something that I already own to do essentially the same job.

 

I feel though, this is probably the only option i'll have


 


I'm on an iMac Pro running OS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2)

 

In order to make it work as a webcam, you have to select GoPro connect from its USB connection menu, instead of MTP.


I forgot to add, that you also need to download the webcam utility application which you can find on this page: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Use-Your-GoPro-as-a-Webcam/ta-p/665493

 

That page also has detailsed instructions on how to use it. I think it also works on most, if not all previous GoPro models.

 

Good luck!