Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 Webcam camera connection error

[ New ]

Hey all,

Another Hero 9 User trying to get the "webcam" function to work.  I've installed the client software on two windows 10 machines and updated the camer to the latest firmware. Using the GoPro supplied USB cable I've plugged from either windows machine to the media mod USB C port. I'd say that 90% of the time, I get the "Camera Conneciton Error" dialog box comming up.

I bought this camera and the media mod hoping to have a stellar webcam, but right now, it's not what you'd expect of GoPro.

Also, usnig this combination, should the audio be coming form the media mod front mic? Neither PC sees it as a device I can switch too.

Cheers all for any help.

Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 Webcam camera connection error

[ New ]

1:  Did you switch the USB Connection method on your camera from MTP to GoPro Connect?  GoPro connect is what's needed for using your camera as a webcam.

2:  Audio via the camera is not supported at this time.  Many streamers tend to use high quality microphones anyway, so supporting audio via the GoPro is not a priority at this point.

3:  A webcam is built with the specific purpose of being a webcam and will offer a much superior picture compared to an action camera trying to emulate a webcam.  

Tourist

[ New ]

1:  Did you switch the USB Connection method on your camera from MTP to GoPro Connect?  GoPro connect is what's needed for using your camera as a webcam.

Yes

2:  Audio via the camera is not supported at this time.  Many streamers tend to use high quality microphones anyway, so supporting audio via the GoPro is not a priority at this point.

What?  So you give us the option of a front facing mic with the media mod and then decide to not pass it back to the computer? To hide behind "streamers use high quality microphones" now sounds like yours is a useless lump of junk.

3:  A webcam is built with the specific purpose of being a webcam and will offer a much superior picture compared to an action camera trying to emulate a webcam.  

I really have no idea what you are trying to say there other than "Hey you should have saved 100's of pounds and bought a webcam as it delivers a superior picture than our top flight 5K action cam" .... At least with a webcam it comes with a mic so you do have a point.

Let's be clear here, you do state the Go Pro 9 has webcam functionality and like a lot of my friends, we want a dual purpose camera that doubles up as an action cam and then a webcam to connect up to the laptop after we've finished mucking around for the day. Based on what I've seen, I won't be recommending the 9.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes

The try using a different USB Cable or even plugging the USB cable into a USB hub and see if that works.

What?  So you give us the option of a front facing mic with the media mod and then decide to not pass it back to the computer? To hide behind "streamers use high quality microphones" now sounds like yours is a useless lump of junk.

Excuse me?  Do you have some sort of messed up attitude problem or something?  I'm just stating a fact , just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it isn't true.  I didn't give you the option of a front facing mic and "my" mic isn't useless.  Try looking up the definition of a "public forum" before you make personalized attacks.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say there other than "Hey you should have saved 100's of pounds and bought a webcam as it delivers a superior picture than our top flight 5K action cam" .... At least with a webcam it comes with a mic so you do have a point.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  I'm actually also saying "Use the right tool for the job".  A thimble holds liquid.... does it make a good coffee cup?  Nope!  The GoPro webcam software was released when people were working from home and couldn't buy webcams because the supply had all but dried up.  So GoPro gave people the option of using their camera as a webcam.  This was really hard to do as the GoPro is an action camera and not designed to be a webcam (which has completely different architecture in place).  So this is why it's a long hard process to get the GoPro acting as a webcam.  Can it do it?  Yes it can.  Can it do it well?  Meh...  Not as good as a proper decent webcam. 

Let's be clear here, you do state the Go Pro 9 has webcam functionality and like a lot of my friends, we want a dual purpose camera that doubles up as an action cam and then a webcam to connect up to the laptop after we've finished mucking around for the day.

My response to that would be....

Based on what I've seen, I won't be recommending the 9.

I'd happily recommend the Hero 9 as a great action camera with fantastic picture and some great features.  I just wouldn't recommend it as a webcam for amatuer use.  If someone had a proper home studio setup with decent mics available, decent lighting and knows how to set up and light their space.  I'd recommend it.