Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 9 - Smart Remote

[ New ]

Here's my problem.....

I've been a VERY loyal GoPro customer for years.  Starting with the Hero 4, I've purchased every iteration of the GoPro since then, sometimes SEVERAL of each model.  I've continually re-invested in my GoPros and the accessories available.  Once of the MOST USED accessories I've used is the Smart Remote, because MOST OF THE TIME, I'm using multiple cameras to shoot the same scene from multiple angles.  I currently have two Hero8's, two Hero9's, and a MAX, all of which are used for these purposes.  But now, I can't control the new Hero9's with the Smart Remote and my capabilities are now limited.

Knowing that moving forward, the Smart Remote will not be an option, I gave it away (along with my old Hero7) to a family member to at least HE can enjoy it, but seriously, this is NOT okay and needs a resolution sooner, rather than later.  Like I said, I've NEVER hesitated to purchase accessories, and have given GoPro thousands of dollars, with no complaint.  But this is NOT OKAY, and needs to be resolved ASAP.  The Smart Remote wasn't just an accessory.....it was a NEEDED ELEMENT of the projects I do!

GoPro

Re: Hero 9 - Smart Remote

[ New ]

Hi @tmgokids

We have a remote in the works.

We do not have an ETA on when it will be available. 

Please continue checking our website for updates. https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

You may use the GoPro App to control the camera remotely.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
EJ, while I appreciate your response, and the fact that a remote is being worked on, although there is no timeframe....using the GoPro App is NOT a viable alternative when you need to control MULTIPLE CAMERAS SIMULTANEOUSLY, which is what I stated in my original post. Please don’t patronize a loyal customer with solutions that aren’t practical for the situation presented. It insults my intelligence. We deserve better. Telling me a remote is being worked on is fine. Instructing me to use the GoPro App is insulting. I’m not a newbie, and I know how to use the app. It doesn’t apply to my needs.
Hiker

[ New ]

well said and welcome to the Gopro Hobo 9 disappointment club, - sold mine and rolled back to a 7

with all the fixes in the pipeline to reincarnate this brick they just need to focus on making the old one work in the december FW - ONLY once and ONLY when there is an ETA on the replacement should they can the old one; not before - you don't have to be a genious to think that was a poor deployment decision

the connectivity is there with a little work around hack till the cloud can't be uploaded to then drops off - and the hardware essentially is the 8 with some changes - hence they used the Hero 8 Firmware in it showing the remote on original boot up

Tourist

[ New ]
Eski79, thanks! I tend not to bash GoPro. I’m a loyal customer and I admittedly buy the latest iteration of the line, willingly. But yes, when you see that a perfectly good remote is no longer viable, and you NEED THAT REMOTE to continue doing what you do, it’s a dropped ball, FOR SURE, by GoPro. But I REALLY take exception to someone telling me “just use the app” when they CLEARLY did NOT read, nor do they understand, that the app is NOT A SOLUTION to my problem. I NEED a remote. I KNOW how to use the app AND the camera. Don’t treat me like a casual “GoPro user”. I have been an advocate for your company, treat me as one! That’s all I ask.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I purchased Smart Remote because i got Hero 9. Not knowing that It will not work...I am very dissapointed... Hope they come up with something soon..

Hiker

[ New ]

the sad thing is there is NO ETA on a new one according to some reports; the decision will be based on enough hero 9s being sold to justify it. Which again asks the question if you have no idea if a NEW "the remote" will materialise in a reasonable timeframe why kneecap a release when it may not happen for years??.....:S

Note that the Max had it added back in earlier this year in a Firmware

It is very sly and misleading how they kept that vital accessory limitation out of all reviews and announcements - should be in Bold print as its been a staple ingredient for about a decade