Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Betreff: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

[ New ]

It still looks like a hardware problem to me. The screen works fine if you hold the camera with the other hand. I guess after a firmware update most people think it's been fixed because they test it while holding the camera. Then they start shooting in a real scenario where the camera is mounted on some support and "oh, it's broken again", but the "it's fixed now" comments have already taken over the forums

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

[ New ]

bonsoir,

j'ai ma Héro9 depuis 15 jours environ, la mise a jour a été faite avec l'appli mais le probléme de reactivité demeure.

juste avant la H9, j'ai eu quelques jour la Héro8 et la reactivité de la 8 etait très largement meilleur.

j'espère que l'équipe GoPro trouvera une solution à ce problème.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi! My experience with GP9 touch screen is also very bad, but it is better when holding the unit with one hand and touch with the fingers in the other hand.  Check out my experience and my fix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lIXrEviWpc

The GoPro Hero9 have serious issues with it's touchscreen response.Here is my experience and fix.
Hiker

[ New ]

@helberggofish 

Je viens de faire l'essai et effectivement la réactivité de l'ecran arrière et meilleur.

ayant une coque  silicone en maintenant la GP par les pates support dessous la Héro9 cela améliore la reactivité.

Merci de votre retour

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. If you are still observing the touch screen sensitivity issue even after updating your camera firmware to the latest (v1.22), it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for further assistance. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Agreed, OK if holding the unit with one hand.  

Pretty appalling if not directly holding the GP9, but using a mount etc..

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes - exactly the problem. Must be some kind of grounding issue - putting hand around camera body works fine, not touching it, doesn't register touches. Yes I am on latest firmware, and this is a black and white issue that I can replicate every time. Wonder if I need to send my Hero 9 back - although I can't get hold of support as they have a bug on their contact us form
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @malhoward

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.
You may also try a different browser or go on incognito mode.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah, tried all that. Eventually managed to log a request but no callback and it’s been over a week do not happy or very hopeful to be honest.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @malhoward

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We have tagged the team handling your case.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, I recently bought a GoPro hero 9 and I have the screen responsiveness issue even if I'm at 1.22 version of firmware.. What should I do?  Give it back and ask for another?

Hiker

[ New ]

It's a known problem. I returned mine (within 30 days) and they issued a full refund. I'm wiating for a new build to fix the problem. The updated firmware did not fix the problem. The general opinion is that it's a hardware problem. Some people don't mind fiddling with it unitl it works and thats fine.

Hiker

[ New ]
I’ve only used mine on v1.22 firmware- so can’t comment on what it was like originally.
I can say the screen was acceptable, but is now terrible.
It’s worse with the media mod on.
Better when hot than cold, better with moist fingers than normal fingers.
Better if I press hard (like an old fashioned resistive touch screen device from 2005)
Hiker

[ New ]
Any Possibility this gets addressed with the Firmware update later this week or is that ONLY going to address the Smart remote?
Sightseer

[ New ]

I´m socked. It works!! It has no sense, but whit the fingers at both sides, works perfect Smiley Surprised

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, I have the same problem and yes, it works to take the cam in my left hand. But is it a hardware problem and should I send it back to amazon ? Or should I wait for the next software update ?

greetings, micha

Tourist

[ New ]
Totalmente de acuerdo, es lamentable. A mí me desquicia, y espero que lo resuelvan rápido en próximas actualizaciones.
Tourist

[ New ]
i think this is a hardware problem. I sold mine. unfortunately gopro. does not benefit the name GoPro.
Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

[ New ]

Does anyone have a working Hero9 ? Is it possible to find out what hardware version I have ?

Tourist

[ New ]

I just purchased the Hero 9, updated the firmware v1.5, but the screen responsiveness is incredibly poor and very frustrating. How is it that I watch tutorial videos and those screens are very responsive? I know I'm not alone based on youtube videos.

What is the fix here?
Do I need to return my camera?

Using my phone works well, but hardly convenient.

Thank you in advance,
Scott

Tourist

[ New ]
I think it is a hardware defect, probably some grounding issue, if I mount the cam, and only touch the screen, because there is no need to hold the cam, the touch is super unresponsive. But if I hold the cam in my hands, the display, suddenly works fine. Pretty stupid, but what can you do... If they make a hardware revision, I hope they replace my cam. Otherwise I won't buy GoPro again.
Nomad

[ New ]

my screen is horrible. on a tripod or clap mount i have to physically hold the camera to get any response.

i want to smash this piece of crap with a hammer and see if it registers that input; i can't even drive myself to sell it on ebay as it will probably get returned for the same reason - how gopro sleep at night selling this junk frazles me

Tourist

[ New ]

I talked to Gopro Support and now they want to replace the Hero9. I sent them a short video and yesterday I sent them the cam. Now I wait for the replacement

Tourist

[ New ]
Let us know if the replacement works fine. Maybe not all H9 have this issue.
Tourist

[ New ]

Got RMA  after two days. New one is no better Smiley Frustrated

Hiker

[ New ]

I think this has been gone over in this thread and others. It's also been discussed ad nauseam on other groups not related to GoPro. The problem is not a "ground" or "tripod" issue. It's a hardware issue with the actual screen or physical processor speed. No firmware update or new camera will work. It's going to take a completely new build. Some people, especially amateurs, don't mind the laggy or non-responsive screen. I know several people who love the camera even with the screen fault. I personally thought it was an excellent camera, but I need to change settings quickly so it did not work for me and I returned the camera for a full refund. I'm sure GoPro will eventually release a new build and hopefully the defect will be corrected.

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonjour cyclonecowboy mais dans ce cas pourquoi l'écran fonctionne t-il correctement lorsque l'on tient la gopro dans sa main ?

J'essaye toujours de joindre le service client !

Hiker

[ New ]

Because you are changing the angle and pressure on the screen. The problem exists on and off a tripod. It does not matter regardless, it does not work all the time.

Tourist

[ New ]
I can’t imagine that GoPro did not see this coming off the production line to begin with... Unfortunately on this production I’m working on, we’re tied to this cam. It’s a --bleep-- shame!
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey @GoPro : Is there an official statement for this problem ? What can we do ?

Hiker

[ New ]

Given the magnitude of the issue, there should be a voluntary recall. I've always liked GoPro, but there are competitors now days who are coming close to offering similar quality cameras. The problem continues to be engineering, as there is only so much stuff you can cram into a small camera without heat, power and processor issues. I figured out there were issues with the camera right aftrer receiving it and I returned it for a refund. As I said before, a lot of people don't care. They use one setting and the camera works for them. The camera **functions,** but chnging settings is frustrating when the screen does not respond, or it takes 10 or more attempts to change a setting. I need to change the zoom and other features often and I don't have time as a professional storm chaser to be fiddling around trying to change settings.

Hiker

[ New ]

For some uses I can get by without the screen responsiveness. For others it's not practical. I use my Hero 9 where one setting will work for all day, and my Hero 8 otherwise. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, the screen only works when you put yours thumbs under, just on the speakers ! It' s crazy !

Tourist

[ New ]
All good things come to an end it seems.
I’ve not received a reply from GoPro, they don’t care enough to say “we’re working diligently on it!”
Disappointing @GoPro
- I’ll have to move on it seems...
Tourist

[ New ]

So I just purchased the GP9 on February 15th and the touch screen menus are seriously lagging.  So much so that I am thinking of returning it until they get the issue fixed.  AND READING this post seems to confirm that this is a known issue and GOpro is not responding to this issue at all

I updated to the latest firmware which was supposed to make it better, but alas its still glacial and I am concerned this may not be fixable so????

Hiker

[ New ]

No fix. Returned mine. Some people are very patient and it does not matter.

Tourist

[ New ]

That sucks, so you are saying that GOpro told you there is no fix or?

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro has not commented on the issue. Per discussions, on this site and others, it's generally accepted that the problem is hardware and cannot be fixed. I loved the camera and hoped there would be a fix. Most amateurs don't care if it takes multiple swipes to change the menu, but that's not for me. I'm hoping the next version will be fixed.

Nomad

[ New ]

Unfortunately it's starting to look like the fix is the Hero10

Tourist

[ New ]

Ughh and any leaked info on when that might be?

Tourist

[ New ]
It seems that way. Well... If I ever buy another action cam, it definitely won't be a GoPro.
Tourist

DJI Cosmo Action is worth a look / Re: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

[ New ]

True. The screen of the (much older) DJI Cosmo Action is much more responsive, like a smartphone. No hassle at all. There are YouTube videos showing the differences in responsiveness between GoPro Hero 9 (expensive and slow) and DJI Cosmo Action (affordable and fast).

@GoProYou should have an eye on your competitors before bringing a product to market. The non-removable lens cover of Hero 8 was a fail that you hopefully felt already.

Nomad

Re: DJI Cosmo Action is worth a look / Re: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

[ New ]

There are more failures: Sound, vertical line, screen sensitivity, breaking the connection between the camera and the remote control.