Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

The reviews have been consistent in saying the rear screen is lacking responsiveness. Anyone have experiences with this thus far and does the firmare released yesterday seem to clear the issue? Thanks much.

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 Screen responsiveness?

hi,

in original software 1.00 I did only a couple of touches for language settings.

after I did the software upgrade.

after one day with the new software (1.21) I would not call it "lack of responsiveness".

side by side gp8 and gp9 respond in the same manner and in the same time.

please:

• do not compare hero with smartphone touch screen - are different marginal experiences
  • to activate the spot meter you have to keep your finger on the screen for ~2sec
  • do not use the "boost" icon shortcut for tests - after you touch it first time, till ""Boost On" is on the screen the icon is not responding

just me,

robert

thank you,

robert

Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 9 needs a firm touch. I'm not sure if it's worse than Hero 8 but it could be better.
Highlighted
Tourist

I consistenty find myself on GP9 having to swipe and press repeatedly when using the camera side by side with GP8. Seems to be worse when outdoors when camera and or air temperature are "colder" around 50 degrees F. I would like to think it is me but perhaps it is not.  Seems like swiping with index finger is less likley to result in menu scrolling. Pressing with side of thumb sometimes helps sometimes. Often when attempting to scroll multiple times it then ends up selecting something versus scrolling. Rather annoying.  When selecting I have tried pressing normally, pressing harder, pressing longer but have not yet found a consistent manner. 

Here is a video where issues occur more frequently in GP9 on right than they do on GP8 on left.

https://youtu.be/lKnpk9cFeaw 

Highlighted
Backpacker

hi,

it is like you have the keep your finger just a little bit longer on the icon.

it is not about the pressure you apply, can be feather-like, just how long.

I would say has less sensitivity - which can be good.

not too much, if too much will be like a "hold".

yes, it took a little to use to, but works.

https://youtu.be/p-8vHNVZ5-4

but again, it is how everybody feels it.

just  me,

robert

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Nomad

The touch screens have always been a bit finicky, screens are small, fingers are large, so trying to get that specific setting has always been a bit tricky.

I found out however that using a stylus improves things immensly.  I have a number of pens that also double as a stylus and I found they are simply the best thing ever for using the touch screens.  Far better than my fingers and the responsiveness is a lot better.

So give that a try if you are having issues.

Highlighted
Backpacker

@irishmanpdx wrote:

The touch screens have always been a bit finicky, screens are small, fingers are large, ***and eyes bad....at least mine... I'm so glad that the touch screen is bigger!!!!

...Smiley Happy

just kidding... 

Highlighted
Nomad

The touch screen accuracy and responsiveness in the Hero 9 is woeful to say the least. I hope they can fix it in firmware. This and the stupid USB/Battery door design are the 2 absolute misses with this otherwise phenomenal camera.