Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Quality Is Abysmal

[ New ]

I “upgraded” from a Hero 8 because of all the glowing reviews from the fanboys on YouTube. It’s clear now whose pocket they are in.

I had high hopes of the new sensor but the picture quality is far worse than the Hero 8. Low light performance, always poor on GoPro’s, is now even worse. Overall picture quality even in normal light is grainy, noisy, colours over saturated and far too much contrast. I don’t want to have to shoot everything flat and colour correct. Life is too short. With horizon levelling on it is so noisy in 4k that footage taken on an overcast day here in the U.K. is unusable.

There is an intermittent audio problem reported by many people which causes a “clicking” sound. My camera also suffers from this.

The camera will not connect to the GoPro app on my tablet. The app finds the camera, the camera says it is connected but the app will then not function because it states the camera is uploading to the cloud. It isn’t. There is nothing to upload and I have turned that feature off. I don’t want my stuff in the cloud. Camera and app then disconnect and the only way I can re-establish the connection is to delete the camera from the app and start again. Before anyone blames my tablet or network, it all works fine with Hero 5, 7 and 8.

I have already reported to GoPro Support an issue with the touch screen intermittently refusing to respond. Sometimes 40 or 50 taps are needed to use the controls. Previous GoPros have been a bit “sticky” in this respect but the Hero 9 is sometimes impossible.

GoPro Support are no help. The answer to every problem is “update the firmware”. I did that immediately I received the camera. When you tell them that, the comeback is “do it again manually”. What? Are they trying to say there is no error checking on a firmware install and that doing it manually will give a different result?

GoPro: if you don’t have a software update out in the next week to fix these major issues then the whole lot including accessories is going back because this camera simply isn’t fit for purpose in its present state.

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 Quality Is Abysmal

[ New ]

It's nice to hear that others are seeing these problems now. I don't know what has been paid to the reviewers not mentioning this in the reviews, but this is unacceptable IMO. I also wish to have some comment from GoPro people. Is this going to be fixed and when or is the new sensor just so crappy that this is the best that this camera can do?

Hiker

[ New ]

I switched from Hero5 to Hero9.
The picture quality is quite disappointing.
Best of all, I didn’t buy the OSMO camera, which is also a lot cheaper. Because it doesn't have GPS.
However, in vain there is GPS, it is practically useless. Not to mention that its image is more expensive and worse than an OSMO.
So far, I feel cheated.

Nomad

[ New ]

My youtube review is titled: GoPro9: dont buy it! I guess I will never ever be a gopro ambassador. Someone even commented I guess you're a half empty glass type of person. Sorry if I spend 480€ I demand the product to be usable and that deliver on what is advertised. Surely it's not advertised that the camera will freeze at least twice a day and the file of what you're shooting is lost to oblivion.

As per video quality I think they might be able to fix it overtime, probably due to the much smaller pixel size. They had to squeeze 20Mpixel in the same space and the smaller the pixel the lower the video quality most to a certain degree.

I sent returned the GoPro 9 after two days of usage.

Nomad

[ New ]

@leranta wrote:

So far, I feel cheated.

You're not the only one. Let's hope the DJI will release the Osmo Action 2 soon.

Hiker

[ New ]

I've had a Hero5 so far.
That did his job nicely.
When I saw the stunning capabilities of Hero9 in the commercial, I immediately ordered it.
Unfortunately, I paid a lot of money for a product that at best isn’t ready yet.
I don't even understand how this product could be put on the market without testing?
The fact that the image is noisy, blurred faces, non-functioning GPS, yellow images, etc.
However, it can be found out pretty quickly. You don’t need to add a multi-month testing marathon.
There was no one at the company who stood up and said, Hey guys this is still bad, don't let this out ?!

Adventurer

[ New ]

SO glad I held off, but sorry to hear your issues are  History repeating itself all again.  talk smack on gopro, you will hear it?  I return it all will say to GoPro that the camera is unsatasfactory and they have to try harder.

Took them years to finally put a lens film on , while they are doing that in the refurbs.   you want better, not worse.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks to the original poster for highlighting this.
I've tested out my Hero 9 using the bike mount several times. The audio makes the entire footage unusable, unless you are aiming for the 1920's silent movie look. I don't get it, the camera is snug in the protective case, everything tightened up. I even removed my noisy lock from my bike and tightened up the pedals arms on the crank. Bike itself now is almost whisper quiet, but when I preview the footage... my God the persistent audio clicking as if I'm dragging the GoPro through gravel. Why did no review mention this sound problem?

If this is just how it is, I'm going to have to return this camera within my 30 days as in it's current state with this audio problem it's unusable for me. I need everything all in the one package, I can't be dealing with having to go out buying a Zoom field recorder on top of what I'm paying for this.