Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Quality Is Abysmal

[ New ]

I “upgraded” from a Hero 8 because of all the glowing reviews from the fanboys on YouTube. It’s clear now whose pocket they are in.

I had high hopes of the new sensor but the picture quality is far worse than the Hero 8. Low light performance, always poor on GoPro’s, is now even worse. Overall picture quality even in normal light is grainy, noisy, colours over saturated and far too much contrast. I don’t want to have to shoot everything flat and colour correct. Life is too short. With horizon levelling on it is so noisy in 4k that footage taken on an overcast day here in the U.K. is unusable.

There is an intermittent audio problem reported by many people which causes a “clicking” sound. My camera also suffers from this.

The camera will not connect to the GoPro app on my tablet. The app finds the camera, the camera says it is connected but the app will then not function because it states the camera is uploading to the cloud. It isn’t. There is nothing to upload and I have turned that feature off. I don’t want my stuff in the cloud. Camera and app then disconnect and the only way I can re-establish the connection is to delete the camera from the app and start again. Before anyone blames my tablet or network, it all works fine with Hero 5, 7 and 8.

I have already reported to GoPro Support an issue with the touch screen intermittently refusing to respond. Sometimes 40 or 50 taps are needed to use the controls. Previous GoPros have been a bit “sticky” in this respect but the Hero 9 is sometimes impossible.

GoPro Support are no help. The answer to every problem is “update the firmware”. I did that immediately I received the camera. When you tell them that, the comeback is “do it again manually”. What? Are they trying to say there is no error checking on a firmware install and that doing it manually will give a different result?

GoPro: if you don’t have a software update out in the next week to fix these major issues then the whole lot including accessories is going back because this camera simply isn’t fit for purpose in its present state.

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 Quality Is Abysmal

[ New ]

It's nice to hear that others are seeing these problems now. I don't know what has been paid to the reviewers not mentioning this in the reviews, but this is unacceptable IMO. I also wish to have some comment from GoPro people. Is this going to be fixed and when or is the new sensor just so crappy that this is the best that this camera can do?

Hiker

[ New ]

I switched from Hero5 to Hero9.
The picture quality is quite disappointing.
Best of all, I didn’t buy the OSMO camera, which is also a lot cheaper. Because it doesn't have GPS.
However, in vain there is GPS, it is practically useless. Not to mention that its image is more expensive and worse than an OSMO.
So far, I feel cheated.

Nomad

[ New ]

My youtube review is titled: GoPro9: dont buy it! I guess I will never ever be a gopro ambassador. Someone even commented I guess you're a half empty glass type of person. Sorry if I spend 480€ I demand the product to be usable and that deliver on what is advertised. Surely it's not advertised that the camera will freeze at least twice a day and the file of what you're shooting is lost to oblivion.

As per video quality I think they might be able to fix it overtime, probably due to the much smaller pixel size. They had to squeeze 20Mpixel in the same space and the smaller the pixel the lower the video quality most to a certain degree.

I sent returned the GoPro 9 after two days of usage.

Nomad

[ New ]

@leranta wrote:

So far, I feel cheated.

You're not the only one. Let's hope the DJI will release the Osmo Action 2 soon.

Hiker

[ New ]

I've had a Hero5 so far.
That did his job nicely.
When I saw the stunning capabilities of Hero9 in the commercial, I immediately ordered it.
Unfortunately, I paid a lot of money for a product that at best isn’t ready yet.
I don't even understand how this product could be put on the market without testing?
The fact that the image is noisy, blurred faces, non-functioning GPS, yellow images, etc.
However, it can be found out pretty quickly. You don’t need to add a multi-month testing marathon.
There was no one at the company who stood up and said, Hey guys this is still bad, don't let this out ?!

Adventurer

[ New ]

SO glad I held off, but sorry to hear your issues are  History repeating itself all again.  talk smack on gopro, you will hear it?  I return it all will say to GoPro that the camera is unsatasfactory and they have to try harder.

Took them years to finally put a lens film on , while they are doing that in the refurbs.   you want better, not worse.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks to the original poster for highlighting this.
I've tested out my Hero 9 using the bike mount several times. The audio makes the entire footage unusable, unless you are aiming for the 1920's silent movie look. I don't get it, the camera is snug in the protective case, everything tightened up. I even removed my noisy lock from my bike and tightened up the pedals arms on the crank. Bike itself now is almost whisper quiet, but when I preview the footage... my God the persistent audio clicking as if I'm dragging the GoPro through gravel. Why did no review mention this sound problem?

If this is just how it is, I'm going to have to return this camera within my 30 days as in it's current state with this audio problem it's unusable for me. I need everything all in the one package, I can't be dealing with having to go out buying a Zoom field recorder on top of what I'm paying for this. 

Hiker

[ New ]

What do you think?
Can these be remedied by a software update?
Or did we buy a fundamentally defective product?

Nomad

[ New ]

@leranta wrote:

What do you think?

I'd return it to be on the safe side, you can always buy it again in say 5/6 months.

Nomad

[ New ]
I think the noise and quality issue is with the latest firmware. All the early reviewers praised the quality and it looked very good, but they were all on a previous firmware I’m assuming as they created their videos prior to the GoPro launch so they could publish it on the 16th.
Hiker

[ New ]

@leranta wrote:

What do you think?

I'm not so sure that all the issues can be solved in software. I think some may be down to design compromises GoPro have chosen to make.

From what I have read in the past couple of days since researching the issues I've seen, for good low light performance you need not lots of sensor pixels but big sensor pixels. By keeping the same size sensor and increasing the pixel count GoPro have actually sacrificed low light performance. It may just be that they thought it was bad anyway so making it worse would not matter to anyone.

As far as poor picture quality with horizon levelling is concerned, I think that may just be how it is. The problem is that they are pulling in a picture from a small area in the middle of the sensor. If you blow that up to 4k the image quality suffers. It has to. In fact, in a review I've seen this morning the reviewer states he has been told by GoPro not to use horizon levelling above 2.7k. Oh dear. Have we been mislead?

I hate to say it but the audio issue has all the signs of being a hardware problem. I hope I'm wrong.

The excessive yellow reported elsewhere and overall poor colour should be fixable in software as hopefully will be the WiFi problems.

I really do want to see these problems fixed but I'm annoyed at GoPro for releasing a half finished and badly tested product. I understand the commercial pressures in what must have been a bad year for them like the rest of us, but this is not the way to deal with those.

I've been watching a lot of my own videos this year as I've been unable to travel and am still blown away by a lot of the footage I shot on Hero 7 and Hero 8, that's why I'm so disappointed with the quality of this new camera.
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

I do not remember how was hero 5 and 6.

but from hero 7 and 8 I bought them the second day they were launched.

I remember how bad was everything in the first releases.

and gets better as the update come.

@leranta ...your question if can be solved in software...

well, yes as long as it is not a hardware bug.

there are not the hypersmooth, the yellow in some situation, the leveling horizon that concerns me.

but the GPS.

I just hope the GNSS chip and antenna are fine, and a software will boost the GPS sensitivity.

as per hot/dead pixels... this is the sensor, the hardware

is much ok then hero8 though.

is the "cost" of a tiny sensor. 

just me,

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

The weird thing about the pixel issue though is that I just had this happen and the pixel followed the ‘subject’ movement, not the camera movement si it might not be the sensor.

Hiker

[ New ]

@philipc05 wrote:

@leranta wrote:

What do you think?

I'm not so sure that all the issues can be solved in software. I think some may be down to design compromises GoPro have chosen to make.

From what I have read in the past couple of days since researching the issues I've seen, for good low light performance you need not lots of sensor pixels but big sensor pixels. By keeping the same size sensor and increasing the pixel count GoPro have actually sacrificed low light performance. It may just be that they thought it was bad anyway so making it worse would not matter to anyone.

As far as poor picture quality with horizon levelling is concerned, I think that may just be how it is. The problem is that they are pulling in a picture from a small area in the middle of the sensor. If you blow that up to 4k the image quality suffers. It has to. In fact, in a review I've seen this morning the reviewer states he has been told by GoPro not to use horizon levelling above 2.7k. Oh dear. Have we been mislead?

I hate to say it but the audio issue has all the signs of being a hardware problem. I hope I'm wrong.

The excessive yellow reported elsewhere and overall poor colour should be fixable in software as hopefully will be the WiFi problems.

I really do want to see these problems fixed but I'm annoyed at GoPro for releasing a half finished and badly tested product. I understand the commercial pressures in what must have been a bad year for them like the rest of us, but this is not the way to deal with those.

I've been watching a lot of my own videos this year as I've been unable to travel and am still blown away by a lot of the footage I shot on Hero 7 and Hero 8, that's why I'm so disappointed with the quality of this new camera.

I`d like to know which reviewer has said this cos far as i know its only when you have the max lens mod on you can not go over 2.7k because o fthe space used on the sensor to rotate the image.

Hiker

[ New ]

I would also be happy to have a "sensor" MOD.
Let’s say this MOD would have a very sensitive GPS, barometric pressure gauge, G sensor, magnetic compass, external thermometer, humidity gauge, and so on.

So you could make super shots in which you could visualize the environmental data during the recording.

If GoPro releases that, it came to my mind first and asked for royalties. : D

Hiker

[ New ]
You may have misunderstood me. I didn't mean you can't go above 2.7k, just that if you do it will result in a poor image due to using a small area of the sensor, hence the advice not to.
Hiker

[ New ]

I posted this link already in another thread, but I'll post it here also as this seems to be more active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BCQjKV61eU

1:40 horrible face smoothing on hero 9

2:51 look at the red roof of the building. Something wrong with 4K since 5K seems better.

What gives me little hope is that 5K seems to be somewhat better so maybe the downscaling to 4K is just faulty. Bad quality control from GoPro definitely putting out this kind of crap. Sad thing is that I have no motivation to film anything at the moment since the video quality is so bad. I also noticed some strange flickering in the video.

And I still would like to hear something from GoPro representatives in this forum. When is this going to be fixed or is it?

Test of the Image Quality of the GoPro Hero 9 and comparison with the GoPro Hero 8. Review of the 5K image, detail, dynamic range, colors and the low light p...
Tourist

[ New ]

This is my first GoPro camera. And my overall impression is similar to yours: quality control issues .

Tourist

[ New ]

I never owned a GoPro before, and I really thought something was wrong with how I was using it... but after all the 'here's how you set it up' videos, I just can't seem to get rid of the awful video noise even with the lowest ISO settings. Thinking maybe I'm just suck at video... and then I find this post and realize it's not just me.

I'm not kidding when I say that the 4K videos from my old iPhone 7 look better than what I'm getting from the GoPro (with 1/10th the effort). Very disappointing.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @sharifj30. If the manual firmware update that is set to fix the quality issues on the camera did not work, please let our Support team know. This, way they will be able to help you with the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm running the latest firmware version already.

Hiker

[ New ]

I bought 3 GoPRo Hero 9s and they ALL have the "pop" interference sound problem when recording.

I contacted GoPro and:
- You suggested a manual update but I haven't had any improvements.
- You asked me to send sample files and I sent them.

But a week has passed and you haven't been heard from again.

Is this GoPro support? I am a GoPro Plus User and have spent a lot of money. It is amazing that the problem with this model is clear and you are unable to solve it with proper updates.

Are you too busy making the GoPro Hero 10? Why, instead of launching a new product every year, don't you pay more attention to improving the development of the current ones? The Hero9 is fantastic, it would be enough to make it "better". It doesn't take much ... it would be enough to eliminate the audio defects it has.

Hiker

[ New ]

anyone know why all of us "certified" buyers can't leave a review on the camera? 

looks like their system including support is as jilted as the youtubers

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @alessiofurlan. We were able to pull up your Support case using the email address on your Hub profile. Based on the last interaction notes, Support has provided you troubleshooting steps to try.

The case is in pending status with the notation that you will contact Support back if the issue is not fixed. If this is the case, it would be best to continue working with Support. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Massive Waste of Time

So I ended up reinstalling the firmware (the same version I ALREADY had) in the hopes it would resolve the high noise problem and blurry photos I was seeing. Guess what the manual firmware update did? I can't even tell if it fixed the noise issue because now the camera is useless - I record a video of like 10 minutes, stop the recording, the camera crashes, reboots, and all that's left of the 10-minute video is about 30 seconds. Repeatable 100% of the time.

In my frustration I finally reached out to GoPro support and know what they told me to do? Exactly what I'd already done. So I did it again... the camera worked right for about 15 minutes and then reverted to what it was before I contacted them. Can't record a video longer than 30 seconds without the device crashing.

If anyone from GoPro support is monitoring this comment... Yes I reinstalled the firmware manually (2x). Yes I formatted the SD card (dozens of times). Yes the SD card is compatible (I got it from you). Yes I tried another SD card. This issue NEVER happened prior to the firmware update you recommended - and this wasn't even the issue that prompted the need for a manual update anyway.

Luckily for me, I found a permanent solution: the camera is on its way back to GoPro and I've requested a refund. This was my first experience with GoPro, and it will be my last.

Sightseer

[ New ]

What is the point of selling a media mod if the low light quality of the GoPro is worse than pretty much all cell phones? Extremely disappointed in the video quality as well. Plus the application connection is spotty it rarely ever connects on the first try.