Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Can someone help to adjust my settings? The video looks "blurry" and not sharp. 

https://youtu.be/ZwOvAH5hxLA

The video was shot while:

activity - biking

lighting - overcast skies

mount - wrist mount

Here are the settings I used:

GoPro 9

Res: 4K24fps
Lens: Linear
Hypersmooth: BOOST
Bit Rate: High
Shtter: Auto
White Balance: Auto
EV Comp: -0.5
ISO: 100 - 1600
Sharpness: Low
Color: GoPro

overcast.jpg
GoPro 9Res: 4K24fpsLens: LinearHypersmooth: BOOSTBit Rate: HighShtter: AutoWhite Balance: AutoEV Comp: -0.5ISO: 100 - 1600Sharpness: LowColor: GoPro

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Of course this is going to be blurry, you're shooting a fast moving activity at 24FPS.  There are two reasons to shoot at a low frame rate, 1 is to compensate for lack of lighting, 2 is to introduce motion blur to give the video a softer look.  This is what you set the camera up for and this is what you got. 

Hypersmooth will also soften the picture as it's trying to steady the shot by cropping and realigning which will also add extra softness.

So in short, increase your frame rate, manually select your shutter speed to match so you get enough light (but be warned, a low shutter speed will also introduce blur) and turn hypersmooth down to it's lowest setting (you're not exactly cycling off road, so you don't need it set on Boost).  Also get rid of the wrist strap and get it mounted on your handlebars.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Same here, very disappointing video quality. It works kind of acceptable on the bright sun, but as soon as it gets more cloudy or in the forest the video is getting extremely unsharp and blurry. I really hope that is a software issue and not a hardware one. 

In my opinion, even my old GoPro 7 produces much better footage than my brand new GoPro 9, I really afraid it was my worst investment this year.

Do somebody have any idea how to fix that, maybe it is a setting issue or something else.

Here is my footage on a cloudy day:

The video is uploading right now and will be available very soon. 

https://youtu.be/wOLONMEAIKw

Resolution: 4k

frame rate: 60fps

Stabilization: boost

rest: auto

Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Yo tambien estoy igual. Recibi mi gopro 9 la semana pasada y sinceramente estoy decepcionadisimo.

La he sustituido por una gopro8 (mi primera gopro) y la verdad es que los videos NO llegan ni por asomo a la calidad de la gopro8.

Con la GoPro 8 los videos que hice fueron simplemente alucinantes, nitidos, luminosos,..... VIendo los videos de esta no me dan ni ganas de editarlos. 

Hay momentos que da saltos la estabilizacion, falta de nitidez/claridad que destacaba en la gopro 8.

Sinceramente voy a solicitar la devolucion mañana y volvere a comprar una gopro 8 o valore el castigar a gopro y comprar una dji. 

Al final perdere bastante dinero por un producto que NO ha salido al 100%.

La poca respuesta de la pantalla lo puedo pasar por alto si la camara grabase en calidad. Pero NO es asi. 

Una gran gran decepcion despues de estar ahorrando para cambiar una por la otra. 

GoPro

Re: Betreff: Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. Checking to see if you are still observing the same issue even with the firmware released last October 2oth (v1.22)? If so, how did you update the camera - was it manually or though the app? Which SD cards are you using? The information on the type, brand, and capacity will be helpful. 

Is the issue observed only on 4K settings with HyperSmooth set to Boost? In the same lighting environment, what happens when the HyperSmooth is set to On or High? 

Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 - Overcast skies and video is not sharp, please help with settings

[ New ]

Of course this is going to be blurry, you're shooting a fast moving activity at 24FPS.  There are two reasons to shoot at a low frame rate, 1 is to compensate for lack of lighting, 2 is to introduce motion blur to give the video a softer look.  This is what you set the camera up for and this is what you got. 

Hypersmooth will also soften the picture as it's trying to steady the shot by cropping and realigning which will also add extra softness.

So in short, increase your frame rate, manually select your shutter speed to match so you get enough light (but be warned, a low shutter speed will also introduce blur) and turn hypersmooth down to it's lowest setting (you're not exactly cycling off road, so you don't need it set on Boost).  Also get rid of the wrist strap and get it mounted on your handlebars.