Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Hero 9 Locking up with adverts

[ New ]

From time to time the camera displays, set up cloud storage or set up sharing on app.

When this happens the camera locks up and has to be reset.

I do not want to sharing on app or cloud storage but when this happens camera is in middle of filming (or at least trying to do filming)

Ridiculas that camera will not do anything until a reset is done on side button. This is stupid as in middle of using voice commands and dont want to have to reset when out in field.

Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 Locking up with adverts

[ New ]

This is very unusual behaviour for the camera.  Have you linked your camera to a smartphone or tablet yet and carried out a firmware update?  The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if these reminders are because the camera hasn't been fully set up (linked to the GoPro app on your phone).  

Nomad

[ New ]

It is.

No I have not linked to my phone and dont want it to be linked.

I have no interest in connected to phone or putting videos on phone.

All videos are directly down loaded to my Mac computer.

Its on on 1.21 from day I got it 3 weeks ago.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So to get the most performance out of your camera, you should be using the GoPro app on your phone.  That way you can quickly and easily adjust settings, get a live preview for framing your shots as well as updating firmware on your camera.

Your GoPro cannot connect to your phone without starting the app manually, so it's not a security issue.  

If anything, download the GoPro app, update your camera, then delete the app.  This way you won't keep seeing reminders on your camera to connect.

Be aware that there are two further firmware updates coming, one on Oct 20th and one due in November.  So it's a good idea to keep your camera updated using the app.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes I am aware of new updates coming next week and next month.

I just do not use the camera with a phone.

All my video is in the water so taking iphone into the sea is not an option.

Never had this problem with all my previous gp cameras.

The only update was done manauly as quik did not work to do update (on mac)

If you can think of anything else 

thanks

Backpacker

[ New ]

I just do not use the camera with a phone.

If you want to get rid of the pop ups that are locking up your camera, you have to link your camera to the GoPro app.  You will only have to do this once and then you can uninstall the app and never use it again.  This just let's the camera know it has been linked to the app and it doesn't have to send reminders any more.

All my video is in the water so taking iphone into the sea is not an option.

Why would you need to take your iPhone into the sea?  Who even suggested that?  You can leave your phone powered off, tucked under your mattress for all the app cares.  You do not need your phone to control, use, or operate your camera.  So don't talk about taking your phone into the sea, that's just silly.

Never had this problem with all my previous gp cameras.

Good for you, I'm glad all your other camera's were rock solid.  

The only update was done manauly as quik did not work to do update (on mac)

Quik has not been updated in over 2 years.  It didn't fully support the Hero 8 as that camera came out after Quiks last update and it does not support the Hero 9 .  Quik is without doubt the worst piece of video editing software anyone has ever used and should never be used by anyone...... ever.

Nomad

[ New ]

thanks for info

It just seems bizarre to have to link a phone to camera that I never want to use.

What happens with people who dont have a smart phone and just want to use the camera functionality. ?

Backpacker

[ New ]

The camera is designed to work in tandem with the GoPro app (installed on smart phones) and the majority of users use this app to edit, color, trim and share video's.  Since the creators of the camera want it to be as stable as possible with no defects, they want the camera to check with the app to ensure it's running the latest updates.

People who don't want to use an app with their camera are more likely to buy a different type of camera such as a DSLR camera.  Others may not use their phone at all, but may use a tablet instead.  

People without smart phones have simply purchased an older android device off of ebay and still linked it to their camera, they just don't have a data or cell plan and usually rely on their in home WiFi to download the app and then the direct WiFi connection to the camera for offloading or editing images.  This way they can still take full advantage of their camera, but don't have to have a smartphone with them if they choose.

Frankly having an action camera and not using the app seems just as bizzare to me considering how good the app now is and how much work is going into it to make it even better.  

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry have to disagree

Any camera should NOT have to be linked to an app NOT to lock up and be unuseable.

As I said i do all my filming in the sea.

I have NO use for an app on phone.

I want to record video on a waterproof camera

Dontload footage to my computer and edit there.

I use editing tools that do not add adverts, limit functionallity and creativity.

It thats the way gopro are going then this will be last gopro i purchase.