Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Lens Specs ?

[ New ]

hi everyone, i cant find the documentation about lens that hero 9 use. can you inform me about the lens.

• F No.: ?
  • Focal Length:?
  • Optical Back Focal: ?
  • Flange Back Focal Length: ?
  • Image circle: ?
  • Lens Structure: ?
  • Mount: ? (M12*0.5)
  • FOV: (H*V*D) ?° * ?°* ?°
  • Resolution: more than 300 line pairs/mm

and one more question ; can we take off lens with heat gun and just turning left without dissamablly the camera. i mean is it stay there with only glue?

Nomad

Re: Hero 9 Lens Specs ?

[ New ]

Untitled.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

thank you for the post. but not enough information about lens structure.

Nomad

[ New ]

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 22.39.55.png
Hiker

[ New ]

thats good but i need to know the mounting thread measurment. can you find it?

Nomad

[ New ]

No, but I'd love to know it too! You know since the beginning GoPro's are created by Chinese industry no? 

Hiker

[ New ]

yes i know but i talk about lens thread with 2 people. they said that lenses that can mount on hero5-6-7 dont fit hero8-9. so i need to learn the thread and dimensions on hero9 for make custom lens mount on ccd sensor.

Nomad

[ New ]

That sounds promissing, no idea here sorry. Please share it if you do it!

Hiker

[ New ]

i think support team is very very busy and the updates have various problems. if it goes like this customers have to choose different brands in the feature. every new model comes with different software and hardware problems. i will just wait a satisfying answer from team about lens dimensions and techical information.

Hiker

[ New ]

Lens FOV may be found here

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO9-Black-Digital-Lenses-FOV-Information/ta-p/712624?gclid=Cj0KC...

For info, the Max Lens Mod gives a 123° Horizontal FOV with Hypersmooth/HL turned on.

I thought the standard lens was f/2.5 not 2.8.

Nomad

[ New ]

Interesting, thanks @stevep71516 , I think would be interesting to put a 3mm. but with f/ 1.4 or less, it would quadruple the amount of light to de sensor, being GoPro so bad in low light.

Hiker

[ New ]
Wide angle lenses are rarely, if ever, faster than f/2.8, the complexities of distortion and maintaining an image circle are huge at shorter focal lengths.

I have to say that I somewhat disagree about GoPro’s poor low-light performance, it’s image sensor is tiny and you get about as much as you’d expect from such small light-wells. The GoPro is an action camera, if you want excellent low light performance then get something with a large sensor and low megapixel count, and something with sensor cooling, something you’re likely to pay $0000 for.
Nomad

[ New ]

I have a Meike circular fisheye f/2 (double the light of 2.8) and it has no distortions, puting a big lens in front of a GoPro is OK if it gives me more light.

The fact that one is not a physicist in optics doesn't mean that as a GoPro user don't want to use the camera in all the situations without ripping the eyes off in low light.

I agree with you, but without closing to the fact that many things can be done to make a poor light recording a worthy pratice. 

Hiker

[ New ]

For me , i use hero3-hero4-hero5-hero6 with 4.3mm 90 degree and 5.4 70 degree lens. there is a huge quality difference with standart narrow and 4.3 90 degree lens results. after change the stock lens the aftermarket one can use all the ccd sensor not the small part of it. i use camera at spearfishing and i need close up view. and with these all models the recordings are perfect and clean with aftermarket lens. but at hero8-9 i cant find the thread measurments about lens holder. and i dont want to dissambley the all camera before i know the technical spec of stock lens.