Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 HVEC problem

[ New ]

Hello to everyone

The problem with the camera is that although I set to HVEC only Codec to record all the time, it seems that it only works on 4K video recording and not on 2.7 K video recording.The first indication that shows that is the remaining recording time that shows that in 4K is some minutes more than 2.7K. It is not possible 4K video compared to 2.7 K video be smaller when shooting at the exact same settings and bitrares. Show I recorded two video clips one in 2.7 K and one in 4K and after viewing the video information on my Pc, I realized that the 2.7 K video was recorded using the H264 codec and not the HVEC (H265). Is this a firmware bug?

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 HVEC problem

[ New ]
HVEC only recordings worked for me. I tested all except 4:3 and they were all HVEC. Yet on screen indicator of remaining recording time has its flaws indeed. However, it might take into consideration battery level too.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @andrewfx1. There are certain video resolutions that are in HEVC format. For further details, see HEVC Explained.

Tourist

[ New ]
Why is that? I want to film at 2.7k 50fps for better performance of stabilization and battery life.. why the file should be bigger than 4k at the same fps??i think this is completely wrong... The right is if i force to film everything with HEVC codec, that is what the camera should do... while gopro hero 8 can do that according to the list you mentioned above.you should fix this problem in a future update.. everything now is using HEVC..
Nomad

[ New ]

It would be desirable if you select H264 or HEVC in the camera and then save the video in EVERY resolution in the selected codec and not independently of the selection made depending on the resolution once H264, in another resolution then HEVC etc.!

If I choose H264 or HEVC, I do it consciously and then I want the created video to be saved with exactly this codec!

Hiker

[ New ]

@andrewfx1 
You mentioned that you'd set recording type to HVEC only. I did too. All my recordings including 2.7k 50fps are recorded with HVEC codec. They are smaller than their H264 counterparts. Just ignore on-screen recording remaining time indicator, it is not updated if you change codecs in camera settings.

@oliverz513 

I couldn't agree more!

Tourist

[ New ]
I filmed 2 exactly the same duration videos, one 4K 50fps & one 2.7K 50fps. Both with standard bitrate. Although on pc says that HEVC codec is used, they are almost the exact size 😕😵 how is that possible?? I checked bitrate and both are at 60mbps.. 2.7K should be smaller in size than 4K. Is that right?