Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Firmware 1.5 AVOID IF YOU STREAM

[ New ]

New firmware 1.5 locks your streaming bitrate to 800kbps. Down from 2500-4000kbps.

And since there's no way to roll-back, you're stuck if you use this for streaming with something south of a potato.

https://youtu.be/RUYWPji2-WY

Also: Not the only one affected by this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/kfh97s/ama_with_pablo_lema_gopros_vp_of_product/ggaw88z/

UPDATE: Despite the first person I spoke to and begged at to give me the old firmware, they insisted that not only did gopro not have it, but it wasn't possi...
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 Firmware 1.5 AVOID IF YOU STREAM

[ New ]

Hi, are you sure there is no way to roll back?  i just came from the other thread with the audio issue and there are guys that just downgraded their firmwares for some tests.

Adventurer

[ New ]

if this is true then that is my last gopro

Nomad

[ New ]

You can roll back by manually installing the previous firmware.

Adventurer

[ New ]

that I know Lol

Hiker

[ New ]

Where do you get the previous firmware from? All the support people insisted that 1) it was impossible 2) it wasn't available

I must have spent an hour looking for it in various places.

Nomad

[ New ]

I keep a copy of each release on my computer, just in case.

message me and I can sure find a way to get it too you.

Hiker

[ New ]
You can hear in the call I asked them over & over to get me a way to make the camera work, sure would've been nice if they had just said "yeah we can get you the old firmware".
Would love to get copies from you :D
Nomad

[ New ]

cant seem to be able to message.

if it allows it put an email address here and can sort that out, then delete email address from message 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah I was trying to figure out how to message as well. 

Nomad

[ New ]

ok got it, delete email

Hiker

[ New ]
Wow, I can't even find a way to edit/delete a post?
Hiker

[ New ]

With v1.50 still can't live stream to YouTube brand account with 1K+ subs because GoPro has no option for selecting a brand account.  Very disappointing...and now this too!  C'mon GoPro, get your act together!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for posting this, it was driving me nuts. My Hero9 is locked on 800kbps too on streaming on mobile hotspot, mifi, or sitting right next to wifi router capable of 20Mbps (verified on speed test). Useless for livestreaming. So here's another vote for a FIRMWARE UPDATE please Gopro, get this sorted!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey robindean,

could you please provide a link to download the previous firmware after uploading it?

I reckon there will be more ppl (including me) that trusted the version blind and thought it would be fine.

I'll follow your suggestion from this day on and keep a copy before updating.

Cheers mate.

Hiker

[ New ]

1.21 is here https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SCANNER-Digital-CAMERA-WEBCAM/GoPro/GoPro-HERO9-Black-Camera-Firmw...

1.22 is here https://gofile.io/d/ktHCKy

extract to a directory named "UPDATE" on your microsd, put in gopro, it'll do it's thing and even delete it off the microsd when it's done so you don't have to worry about it trying again next time you start the gopro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the old firmware, it fixed the problem!

Stream health went from 800kbps to over 3000kbps. So there's clearly a problem with firmware 1.5

Worked fine livestreaming 1080p 50

Tourist

[ New ]

@iamthemoose wrote:

Where do you get the previous firmware from? All the support people insisted that 1) it was impossible 2) it wasn't available

I must have spent an hour looking for it in various places.

https://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/d506c3a50e81fd7b846015fa1d315813/5fddcf4f/cf6c9/0...

That is version 1.21

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, saw too late it was already posted!

But it proves how helpful the GoPro support is telling lies about the downgrade possibility.

Hiker

[ New ]

Would very much recommend NOT using 1080 for the bitrate gopro allows, even at 4kbps. 720p will be much better overall quality. I really wish they allowed a 30fps option too.

Hiker

[ New ]

The 8 is 30/25 fps only.

Are you sure the 9 is 60fps. can you check

Hiker

[ New ]

Everything I've been able to find about it says 60fps. I'd be happy to hear if I'm wrong, but either way, 4000kbps is not enough for 1080/30 at any reasonable quality. Definitely do 720 until gopro allows better bitrates.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well you can look at the media stats in vlc, you do stream to your local nginx right?

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, I hadn't even considered using 720p but agree the image is slightly better. However, the Gopro app is so buggy I could not get a stable livestream to last more than a minute, and by 3 minutes it always bombed out. On home wifi, or mifi, with good speed available. Often the app would say the livestream had ended, but the numbers were still ticking up on the camera display and the livestream was actually still going through. If I livestream using my Samsung S9 from the same position it lasts for over one hour with zero lost frames, direct to my Youtube brand account. Gopro is so far behind the curve with their livestreaming. I won't be using it until there is a serious app and firmware update.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yeah but I don't middle-man with VLC. I directly capture the nginx output with OBS.

Hiker

[ New ]

VLC is reporting 29.97 in 720 and 1080. Good to learn!

Still, 4mbps is not enough for 1080/30.

Hiker

[ New ]

Agreed, lets just hope they were trying to up it to 8000 and some idiot typed 800.

Now consider you have a 9, I don't but I have seen that the 1080p vs 4k vs 5k image all produce way different low light results, what I wonder if is someone like you would mount the camera and compare the live stream low light vs those resolutions becuase from what  I have seen is 1080p and 5k are better in low light than 4k and the livestream.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey mate. Can I please get a copy of firmware version 1.4?

I just updated to v1.5 brand new out the box and now the rear screen does not work.

Hiker

[ New ]

There are links on the YT video