Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 Black stuck while turning on / main display stays dark

[ New ]

Hello,

i just got my Hero 9 Black yesterday.
I turned it on and everything was looking good, then i connected it to my GoPro Account and updated the newest firmware via my Android Phone this also worked and afterwards everything was okay.

Today i wanted to create some presets and set everything up but the camera hangs while starting.
The main screen stays dark not completely black like it's turned off but i see no picture.
I tried a restart but it was the same, then i removed the battery and the SD Card put everything back in and tried it again this time it worked after a few seconds it turned off and when i try to turn it on it's stuck again.
Since then i never got it to boot up successfully again.
I also tried the manual update but the problem is the same.
Any ideas for a solution ? Or is there a way to factory reset without using the camera menu ?

Here's a video showing the problem:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3huEhQ3hmpeAmBYRA 

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 9 Black stuck while turning on / main display stays dark

[ New ]

@praneeths75, @hardyhero51060, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
You can try to press the MODE button for 8-10sec for. Reset and try again. If that does not work try to. Remove SD card. I can't turn on my GoPro9 at all!
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for your reply.
I already tried this, checked out some troubleshoot videos on Youtube.
Tried another battery another SD card, resetting by holding the button for 10s nothing works.
Meanwhile, i was lucky and got connected to the support via chat. They said this behavior should be fixed with the last firmware update but in my case it still exists.
Have to wait for their answer now because they couldn't help me directly.
I'm thinking about returning the GoPro instead.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Hello Guys,

Same problem here.
I cannot use the GoPro.
The main display doesn't show any content.
It's black (I see only a little light after I turn it on).
Front display shows "9 Black".

Have you solved ?
IMG_20200927_213006.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey, it looks like you just got it.
If you have not updated to the newest firmware version, try this.
But do it manually via SD Card, not with the GoPro App.
I talked to Support in Germany and US they just told me to try the standard stuff, try it with another battery, try it with another SD Card or remove the SD Card, hold the ON button for around 10 seconds and so on but before i talked to them i tried all this already.
They said it's a known bug and the newest firmware Version should fix it, so like i said, update the firmware.
If you have done this already and the problem still exists, you need to talk to the GoPro support and return it.
The German support directly told me to return it and the US support talked to the techies first and after 3 days i got a mail and they also told me to return it and get a replacement.
I will return it now and take my money it's a pretty good offer with the GoPro Plus at the moment but i'm not sure if i really want to waste more time with all the problems.
I had to talk to the not really reliable support several times with every GoPro i bought so far and since it takes a lot of time and luck to get in contact with the GoPro support i'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
They also told me that it takes around 4 weeks at the moment until i get my money don't know how long it takes to get a replacement if you have to replace it.

I hope you still have the option for the manual firmware update. Good Luck!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I too am now reciving this issue and this is after the firmware update.  I've had it for less than a week now and I'd hate to think i dropped almost $600 on ther hero9, dual battery charger and media mod just to have it not work now?  Someone please help. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
The solution was really simple.
Complete replacement of the GoPro under warranty.
Just call the customer service, they will replace it with a new one.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same here: brand new Hero 9 black, refuses to start.

Makes the startup noice but screen stays black....