Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 Black firmware upgrade

[ New ]
Had a power outage whilst setting up my new Hero 9 Black and don't think upgrade was completed.
Horizon leveling and Hypersmooth is extremely glitchy and I'm not impressed with the results at all.
The app doesn't give me an option of retrying the software upgrade so was wondering if a forced manual upgrade is available ?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 Black firmware upgrade

[ New ]

2 more things ... and I wrote finally 5....

1. save somewhere the UPDATE.zip ---- and keep it with a note "1.21" ---- when a new software will come, do the same...in this way you will have all software ...and you can install whichever you want whenever you want (e.g. the new one has a problem or you like better the hypersmooth outcome from a previous release and you want to revert to the old one...)   
  2. the goal is the microSD card that you put in the camera  to have
    • a folder named UPDATE
    • inside the 3 files FWUPD.txt, DATA.bin, CAMFWV.bin
  3. I use a low space microSD card 4GB only for updates, as is much easier to format (hard format)...my normal 400GB microSD will take forever to hard format
  4. if you use the everyday microSD card
    • be sure you save all important flles
    • at least format it soft in the laptop
    • follow the instructions (copy the UPDATE ...etc....)
    • at the end, when the UPDATE finished, make a format in the camera menu (as UPDATE folder will be deleted automatically from the microSD and GoPro does not like the fragmented volumes)
  5. if you get used and are comfortable with the manual upgrade procedure, do it when new firmware is released every time after the automated one. 
    • do not interrupt or stop the automated upgrade GoPro mobile app pushes to the camera - leave it to go till the end 
    • after finished, make the manual one

I personally never delete files from microSD card neither from GoPro menu, nor from windows explorer or mac finder. 

After I finish my activity I download what is important.

and instead of deleting files, I format the card from camera menu.

hope this helps,

robert

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

yes, you can manually upgrade.

here is the procedure (from desktop browser, not from mobile)

https://gopro.com/en/update/hero9-black

follow the

"Update your camera manually"

use a fresh formatted micro SD card where you will copy the UPDATE folder with the 3 files.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]
Cheers, much appreciated for that, shall try when I get home later
Backpacker

[ New ]

2 more things ... and I wrote finally 5....

1. save somewhere the UPDATE.zip ---- and keep it with a note "1.21" ---- when a new software will come, do the same...in this way you will have all software ...and you can install whichever you want whenever you want (e.g. the new one has a problem or you like better the hypersmooth outcome from a previous release and you want to revert to the old one...)   
  2. the goal is the microSD card that you put in the camera  to have
    • a folder named UPDATE
    • inside the 3 files FWUPD.txt, DATA.bin, CAMFWV.bin
  3. I use a low space microSD card 4GB only for updates, as is much easier to format (hard format)...my normal 400GB microSD will take forever to hard format
  4. if you use the everyday microSD card
    • be sure you save all important flles
    • at least format it soft in the laptop
    • follow the instructions (copy the UPDATE ...etc....)
    • at the end, when the UPDATE finished, make a format in the camera menu (as UPDATE folder will be deleted automatically from the microSD and GoPro does not like the fragmented volumes)
  5. if you get used and are comfortable with the manual upgrade procedure, do it when new firmware is released every time after the automated one. 
    • do not interrupt or stop the automated upgrade GoPro mobile app pushes to the camera - leave it to go till the end 
    • after finished, make the manual one

I personally never delete files from microSD card neither from GoPro menu, nor from windows explorer or mac finder. 

After I finish my activity I download what is important.

and instead of deleting files, I format the card from camera menu.

hope this helps,

robert