Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Black: Light banding during timelapse

[ New ]

I'm experiencing light-banding (waves going across the screen) during timelapses.

I have 60Hz 8.8W LED light bulbs as my light source. I've tried both video and photo modes (photo mode makes it worse, actually), adjusting capture frequency, ISO (100-100 to 100-400) and regional frequency (I'm in US, so I have to use 60hz, since 50hz makes it worse). Since it's a timelapse, I can't adjust shutter speed, whcih is what's recommended in a lot of other questions.

So, how can I resolve this?

GoPro

Re: Hero 9 Black: Light banding during timelapse

[ New ]

@bogdank74872, image quality issues are usually resolved by manually reinstalling the camera's firmware as it can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, @aenriquez. Thank you for the copy-paste generic answer. My issue is not with image quality, my issue with timelapse having light flicker / light banding. All the solutions on these forums talk about adjusting frequency and shutter speed -- GoPro doesn't allow shutter speed adjustment, even in photo mode for timelapse. My firmware has been re-installed, so it's not that.

GoPro

[ New ]

@bogdank74872, our Support Team will be able to help look further into this problem with your GoPro. 

Nomad

[ New ]

So there's a difference between flicker and banding.

The wrong HZ setting will result in flickering lights being visible when recording video.  It should not be visible during timelapse though as you are using a longer exposure.  However not locking the ISO and manually setting the white balance while being near a light source during timelapse can cause variations in exposure that can look like flickering.  So avoiding light sources and manually adjusting settings will cut back on that.

Banding on the other hand can be caused by several issues.  WiFi interference will cause banding, also if you are using an external power source that's not properly shielded, will also result in visible bands being visible in photo's and video timelapses.