Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 - Am I supposed to take battery out when off?

[ New ]
Something I’ve noticed in my 5 days of ownership is that the battery goes down (significantly) when the camera is off.
It struggles to charge past 80%, and then drops large amounts when not in use.

Last night, I was messing about with it - and it was at 49%.

This evening, it was at 21%.

Should I be taking the battery out when not using the camera... or is this a fault?
My stand alone charger and 2 batteries are due to be delivered tomorrow, so I should be able to tell if it’s the battery or camera that’s refusing to charge past 82%.
GoPro

Re: Hero 9 - Am I supposed to take battery out when off?

[ New ]

Hello @peterr70060

What SD card are you using?

Please proceed with a manual update, https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Once the update is done, reset the camera. Go to Preferences> Reset> Factory Reset

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks - I’ll try that tonight.
Currently still using the 32gb card that came with it - however I have a 128gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card (off the approved list) on its way.

Left the Hero9 charging all last night, and it was 84% this morning. It’s switched off at the moment - and I’ll see what % it’s at when I get home from work. I can guarantee it’s not still 84% though!
Hiker

[ New ]

My camera is on V1.21, which appears to be the latest version.  I have done a factory reset, and will see if it makes a difference?

Over the course of my day at work, the battery has dropped 9% - and that's with the camera off.  It seems to go down quicker when the battery has less power in it.

Today, I received my dual charger, and 2 batteries.  I put them both on charge on my desk at work, and by the end of work, the charger light had gone green on both batteries indicating they were fully charged.

When I put them in the camera just now, one is 96%, and the other is 93%.

One has dropped 4% and the other has dropped 7% over the course of one and a half hours - without being used.

3 new questions from this...

1.  Why will my battery not charge above 84% inside the camera? 

2.  Why does the battery in the camera drain when the camera is switched off?

3.  Why do the brand new batteries drain when not even in the camera?

Battery life is very important to me, so the fact that the batteries drop when not in use is a big concern.

Nomad

[ New ]

I played around a few days with the GoPro 9 before return it to amazon due to all the issue it has.

Surely there is a battery drain even when the camera is off, that's because you have "connections" enabled. If you connect to the camera through the app you will be able to turn it on from the app itself. All this drains the battery. Try turning off connections before you turn your camera off lor a long time.

Hiker

[ New ]
Good point - I’ll turn off connections and try again. That’ll maybe stop the draining when in the camera... however the batteries that are NOT in the camera are still draining.

I put them back in the charger until the light went green, then tried them back in the camera.
One read 100%, and the other was 95%. Will see what they’re like in the morning.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @peterr70060

Just following up if you were able to check the batteries again.

Are they charging at 100% now?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi @aragon1006

I can now get my new batteries to 100% using the dual charger if I leave them for 20 mins past the light changing.
If I take them out of the charger, they don’t seem to drain nearly as quickly as they do if I leave them in it.

The battery in the camera still doesn’t reach 100%, however it doesn’t drain now that I have disabled Connections as per the suggestion above. I guess I need to turn off connections when not using the camera for any period of time.
Either that, or remove the battery?

Thanks...
Pete
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks! @peterr70060

We have reported this to the team in charge.

We'll post back for updates.

Regards,

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

Please stop with the contstant "Update firmware manually" rubbish.. You know it does nothing. Maybe spend the time actually answering the 1000s of questions about this piece of rubbish, like when will the new FW be out that may make it usable, will the audio pops and clicks be fixed? 

Hiker

[ New ]
Abbiamo bisogno di un FW che sistemi TUTTI i problemi, concordo che è ora di smetterla di dire di aggiornare il FW manualmente e di fare il ripristino. Ci sono problemi, vanno risolti e vanno risolti subito; il FW va aggiornato anche 10 volte al mese se ci sono problemi non una versione ogni 3 mesi ( quando va bene )
Nomad

[ New ]

I have noticed that the charge does not always read 100%.

Reinserting the battery or uplugging the charge cable then displays shows 100%.

Guess its a firmware feature :-)