Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 Accessories Not Available - Smart Remote Doesn’t Work? Mass Returns Inbound

Look, I was under the impression (thanks to a different thread) that GoPro would be releasing a firmware update to make the smart remote work with the GoPro Hero 9.  However after going through the forums, turns out that's not the case.

"Hello Everyone!

We have a remote in the works. We do not have an ETA on when it will be available.

No previous remotes work with the HERO9 Black.

You may pair the camera with the GoPro App to control the camera remotely

Thanks!

Ej"

The closest to an official statement is the one of the GoPro Hero 9 page itself where they list (as compatible) "The Remote".  You notice the name difference straight away, looks like another device is on the way.

Is this annoying?  Sure.  I use my smart remote a lot, especially if I'm using camera's mounted on the wings of my plane or on the outside of my car.  Now I don't have that option as GoPro have to sell enough Hero 9 models to justify putting their remote into production.

Will it be backwards compatible?  Probably, after all, they would shift more units if it supported other GoPro Models.....  however  I think it will be a bit like the app, as in it only supports certain models and older model GoPro's may not get support at all.

Having said that, the GoPro Smart remote is over 6 years old at this point and can anyone say it has worked flawlessly?   I've had connection issues with mine, and using multiple camera's was never an option.  2 camera's or more and it would drop connections with a camera at random, I'd have one camera recording and the others not recording........   Plus with the newer camera's, you were limited in how much control you had over them via the smart remote menu's.

While I think it was a bad move to drop support for the smart remote completely, I actually do think it's about time GoPro updated and refreshed the remote.  Hopefully this will be done and we'll get new tech, features and better reliability with connections.  I mean, come on, who the heck doesn't want a backlight on a new remote?  

Will I be frustrated waiting for the new remote?  Yes, for sure.  I rather have the option of my dodgy smart remote for sure.  Will I send back my Hero 9 because it doesn't support the smart remote?  Not on your life!  I'm actually enjoying the crap out of the camera!  Will I buy the new remote if/when it's released?  Only if it's worth it.

So what would make it worth it?

Compatability to at least the GP4

Backlight

More reliable connectivity for multiple camera setups.

Better menu access for camera modes and settings.

Waterproof.

Thin (cause lets face it, the smart remote was kinda bulky on the wrist)

USB-C charging (I don't want another device specific cable...)

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 Accessories Not Available - Smart Remote Doesn’t Work? Mass Returns Inbound

will probably be another case of the media mod for the hero 8 where it comes out when the new camera arrives. then the 10 will need you to upgrade other bits - poor form. add the original remote support back into the hero 9 GoPro - its in your manual and original FW so you can't say its just no longer supported.

Highlighted
Hiker

eski79, really the original hero 9 firmware included remote support?
So I can return my hero 9 and buy another but don’t upgrade the firmware and I’ll have a GoPro I can use instead of my new one that is useless and collecting dust?
I give them until just before my return period and then I’m returning it and posting a negative review of the camera on every single site I can as I think this makes the camera a zero out of 10. Again, I can’t use it for any single thing I’ve used my past GoPros for. And why is it so big? Who wants a big action cam that is more likely to get knocked off a board in water with way more surface areas with a massive float.
Highlighted
Tourist

Agree regarding the assumptions made about legacy hardware compatibility.

However - not being transparent about supply chain/manufacturing with customers is not doing GoPro any favours. Case in point: Hero8 & media mod, and screen accessories. Personally wasn't interested in those, but I am in the Max Lens.
I'm not risking purchasing a Hero9 until I know I can get the lens.

I'm pleased that you're not affected by these issues because you were first in line, but that doesn't mean that GoPro isn't doing a terrible job with basic Customer Service - and that's not being dramatic.

Worst thing GoPro did was go public in 2014.
Highlighted
Nomad

However - not being transparent about supply chain/manufacturing with customers is not doing GoPro any favours.

Companies are not going to discuss supply chain/manufacturing issues with the general public or it's customers.  They will just do exactly what GoPro did and release a general statement about issues with delays due to covid.

With the Hero 8 and media mod, the shortage wasn't that big a deal, and it was at one of the worst times of the year regarding Covid so it was understandable that any shipments of goods manufactured in China would be affected.  

However with the Max Lens for the Hero 9, things look a lot better.  There are already review unit's available and a month of release set.  The same could not be said for the display mod which only popped up as available last month (with no review units out before hand).

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

My problem is that when I ordered the Hero ) there was no information about the non working remote.

And when I first started to use the camera it did work. Without any warning or explanation it stopped working after the latest firmware update.

As I use Gopro cameras professionally and are used to control several cameras with the same remote it effects my work, effects it severely.

Gopro has kept that information from me and other buyers and that is tantamount to a crime, showing no respect for professional or other customers.

I have NOT got any answers to my emails to Gopro, the only information I could find in the matter was here, in the forum.

Where some Gopro "representative" happily announced that the remote will not be working with Hero 9, that they maybe will launch a new remote (probably for at lot more than the cost for our existing remotes), he could NOT give a launch date, he could NOT say if the "new" remote will be working with other Gopro cameras.

If Gopro wants to be considered as an alternative for professional use they should grow up, employ grown ups and start adapting to professional marketing rules.

Highlighted
Tourist

My problem is that when I ordered the Hero ) there was no information about the non working remote.

And when I first started to use the camera it did work. Without any warning or explanation it stopped working after the latest firmware update.

As I use Gopro cameras professionally and are used to control several cameras with the same remote it effects my work, effects it severely.

Gopro has kept that information from me and other buyers and that is tantamount to a crime, showing no respect for professional or other customers.

I have NOT got any answers to my emails to Gopro, the only information I could find in the matter was here, in the forum.

Where some Gopro "representative" happily announced that the remote will not be working with Hero 9, that they maybe will launch a new remote (probably for at lot more than the cost for our existing remotes), he could NOT give a launch date, he could NOT say if the "new" remote will be working with other Gopro cameras.

If Gopro wants to be considered as an alternative for professional use they should grow up, employ grown ups and start adapting to professional marketing rules.

Highlighted
Hiker

to keep this thread alive - here is page 125 of the OFFICIAL GOPRO HERO 9 Manual - see highlights

gopro h9 smart remote.JPG