Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 Accessories Not Available - Smart Remote Doesn’t Work? Mass Returns Inbound

[ New ]

This is EXTREMELY disappointing and frustrating that GoPro releases a new product with features that the customer cannot even use because they have no accessories available. No Max Lens Mod and no Media Mod available to customers. This is an absolute shame to see GoPro dropping the ball like this. When we'll be able to purchase "the rest of the camera"???? 🙄

Also, the Smart Remote does NOT work with the Hero 9. You will NOT be using a remote to control multiple cameras of one of them is a Hero 9. This is a MAJOR issue for many many people who control multiple cameras at the same time..... or even just one Hero 9. That is just crazy. What is GoPro thinking???🤬 Watch them drop a new Smart Remote on us that is NOT compatible with any other GoPros. When will the remote be released and what are it;a planned capabilities?

I am just shocked by this poor release of the Hero 9. It was not ready for market at all. Advertising features that are not even possible yet is just a huge slap in the face to customers. I suspect there will be mass returns incoming..... rightfully so. Mine is being returned if GoPro does not make it right very soon.

Tourist

Re: Hero 9 Accessories Not Available - Smart Remote Doesn’t Work? Mass Returns Inbound

[ New ]

I am also frustrated by the lack of accessories. Crazy marketing and execution. I want to spend my money and they refuse to accept it. :D

I asked the support for ETA on the accessories and they do not know. It probably will be 11 more months before they manage to produce some. Dissapointing!

Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 Accessories Not Available - Smart Remote Doesn’t Work? Mass Returns Inbound

[ New ]

Hmmm, I ordered a GoPro Hero 9 and a media mod and got both.  I guess the early bird get's the worm.

Go here:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/hero9-black/tech-specs?pid=CHDHX-901-master

Read the tech specs, click on connected features.  It says "The Remote Compatible (Coming Soon)"

No where else does it say that the smart remote works with the GoPro Hero 9, no where does it claim that the smart remote works with the GoPro Hero 9.  That's on you for not reading and researching before you buy something.  You just assumed.

So I would suggest you either wait on a firmware update or just return your camera.  I think returning the camera becaues you can't wait on a firmware update for the remote is a bit dramatic though.

Hiker

[ New ]
Uh, you’re missing the point. I don’t care that it doesn’t claim that the remote is compatible or if they put up a huge neon sign saying it is not. For those who shoot with numerous cameras at once.. which is a HUGE deal..... the 9 is useless. Understand now? If they drop a new remote that does not work with anything but the 9, it’s a money grab and they just neutered at least 20% of their users.

Congrats on being the .01% who got a Media Mod. The rest of us can’t get one. The rushed the release of this camera and dropped the ball big time. We can’t even use an external microphone now. What a joke.
Backpacker

[ New ]

It's a bit like talking to a wall.  GoPro have already said a firmware update will be released for the smart remote.  You can still use an external microphone, if you don't want to wait on the media mod, get the GoPro Mic adapter instead.

Can I see the production and sales figures so you can back up your claim of that only .01% of people got a media mod?  Would love to know where you're getting this factual information....

Hiker

[ New ]
You’re not paying attention then. GoPro has already said that the Smart Remote will not be compatible with the Hero 9. Not ever. An all new remote is coming. The pro mic adapter does NOT work with the Hero 9 after updating software. I have three of them and they are not working for anybody. It’s a bit like talking to a wall, huh.
Tourist

[ New ]
They did not produce enough Media mods (it is a fact). They should have known the demand figures and ignore them (for whatever reason). The media mod was gone after just a couple of hours of release. This is not bad planning and execution or lack of resources to deliver.
Hiker

[ New ]
Media Mods went in stock this morning and I was able to order one. They’re still available but who knows for how long. Now, if they can just stock the Lens Mod and fix the 1.21 software..... things will start looking up.
Tourist

[ New ]
I got one as well. They should have some kind of pre-order or notification system. I can't sit around and refresh the page waiting for new stock. :D
Hiker

[ New ]
Returning my Hero 9 too. I am about to use it now and can’t figure out how to connect one of my 2 smart remotes and I came across this post. Yes, nowhere did they say the remote would work, but nowhere did they say the camera didn’t change the feet sizes bc they didn’t change them and it’s just understood it will connect to the older gopro buckles and connectors. If the remote has worked with every new camera as the feet have worked with every connector, they should go out of their way to alert people if it’s not compatible.
It’s better to return it than wait and hope for a firmware update that would make the old remotes work which may never happen.
Hiker

[ New ]
They already said that the Smart Remote will never be compatible with the Hero 9 and that an all new camera is coming. It better be compatible with more than just the Hero 9 are there will be some seriously ticked off people.
Hiker

[ New ]
When did they say the remote wouldn’t work with the Hero 9? Everything about the Hero 9 was kept so quiet until its release.
Hiker

[ New ]

They mentioned it somewhere in one of these threads. The Smart Remote is not compatible and never will be through firmware or otherwise. They said that an all new remote is in the works. If it is not backwards compatible, it is seriously going to tick a lot of people off.... including me. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Really bad that every time the accessories are to be thrown away ... I can understand it pwer the size but why not leave the compatibility with the remote control cost A LOT of MONEY?

Hiker

[ New ]

@image-x wrote:
Media Mods went in stock this morning and I was able to order one. They’re still available but who knows for how long. Now, if they can just stock the Lens Mod and fix the 1.21 software..... things will start looking up.

Really bad that every time the accessories are to be thrown away ... I can understand it pwer the size but why not leave the compatibility with the remote control cost A LOT of MONEY?

Nomad

[ New ]

"GoPro has already said that the Smart Remote will not be compatible with the Hero 9. Never"

WHERE exactly was this officially said by GoPro ?!
If this was claimed by someone (by whom) in the forum at some point, is that really an OFFICIAL statement from GoPro?

I only read that it doesn't work with the current firmware - nothing more ...

So GoPro - ask for an official statement so that fakenews don't stand a chance!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Look, I was under the impression (thanks to a different thread) that GoPro would be releasing a firmware update to make the smart remote work with the GoPro Hero 9.  However after going through the forums, turns out that's not the case.

"Hello Everyone!

We have a remote in the works. We do not have an ETA on when it will be available.

No previous remotes work with the HERO9 Black.

You may pair the camera with the GoPro App to control the camera remotely

Thanks!

Ej"

The closest to an official statement is the one of the GoPro Hero 9 page itself where they list (as compatible) "The Remote".  You notice the name difference straight away, looks like another device is on the way.

Is this annoying?  Sure.  I use my smart remote a lot, especially if I'm using camera's mounted on the wings of my plane or on the outside of my car.  Now I don't have that option as GoPro have to sell enough Hero 9 models to justify putting their remote into production.

Will it be backwards compatible?  Probably, after all, they would shift more units if it supported other GoPro Models.....  however  I think it will be a bit like the app, as in it only supports certain models and older model GoPro's may not get support at all.

Having said that, the GoPro Smart remote is over 6 years old at this point and can anyone say it has worked flawlessly?   I've had connection issues with mine, and using multiple camera's was never an option.  2 camera's or more and it would drop connections with a camera at random, I'd have one camera recording and the others not recording........   Plus with the newer camera's, you were limited in how much control you had over them via the smart remote menu's.

While I think it was a bad move to drop support for the smart remote completely, I actually do think it's about time GoPro updated and refreshed the remote.  Hopefully this will be done and we'll get new tech, features and better reliability with connections.  I mean, come on, who the heck doesn't want a backlight on a new remote?  

Will I be frustrated waiting for the new remote?  Yes, for sure.  I rather have the option of my dodgy smart remote for sure.  Will I send back my Hero 9 because it doesn't support the smart remote?  Not on your life!  I'm actually enjoying the crap out of the camera!  Will I buy the new remote if/when it's released?  Only if it's worth it.

So what would make it worth it?

Compatability to at least the GP4

Backlight

More reliable connectivity for multiple camera setups.

Better menu access for camera modes and settings.

Waterproof.

Thin (cause lets face it, the smart remote was kinda bulky on the wrist)

USB-C charging (I don't want another device specific cable...)

Nomad

[ New ]

will probably be another case of the media mod for the hero 8 where it comes out when the new camera arrives. then the 10 will need you to upgrade other bits - poor form. add the original remote support back into the hero 9 GoPro - its in your manual and original FW so you can't say its just no longer supported.

Hiker

[ New ]
eski79, really the original hero 9 firmware included remote support?
So I can return my hero 9 and buy another but don’t upgrade the firmware and I’ll have a GoPro I can use instead of my new one that is useless and collecting dust?
I give them until just before my return period and then I’m returning it and posting a negative review of the camera on every single site I can as I think this makes the camera a zero out of 10. Again, I can’t use it for any single thing I’ve used my past GoPros for. And why is it so big? Who wants a big action cam that is more likely to get knocked off a board in water with way more surface areas with a massive float.
Tourist

[ New ]
Agree regarding the assumptions made about legacy hardware compatibility.

However - not being transparent about supply chain/manufacturing with customers is not doing GoPro any favours. Case in point: Hero8 & media mod, and screen accessories. Personally wasn't interested in those, but I am in the Max Lens.
I'm not risking purchasing a Hero9 until I know I can get the lens.

I'm pleased that you're not affected by these issues because you were first in line, but that doesn't mean that GoPro isn't doing a terrible job with basic Customer Service - and that's not being dramatic.

Worst thing GoPro did was go public in 2014.
Backpacker

[ New ]

However - not being transparent about supply chain/manufacturing with customers is not doing GoPro any favours.

Companies are not going to discuss supply chain/manufacturing issues with the general public or it's customers.  They will just do exactly what GoPro did and release a general statement about issues with delays due to covid.

With the Hero 8 and media mod, the shortage wasn't that big a deal, and it was at one of the worst times of the year regarding Covid so it was understandable that any shipments of goods manufactured in China would be affected.  

However with the Max Lens for the Hero 9, things look a lot better.  There are already review unit's available and a month of release set.  The same could not be said for the display mod which only popped up as available last month (with no review units out before hand).

Hiker

[ New ]

My problem is that when I ordered the Hero ) there was no information about the non working remote.

And when I first started to use the camera it did work. Without any warning or explanation it stopped working after the latest firmware update.

As I use Gopro cameras professionally and are used to control several cameras with the same remote it effects my work, effects it severely.

Gopro has kept that information from me and other buyers and that is tantamount to a crime, showing no respect for professional or other customers.

I have NOT got any answers to my emails to Gopro, the only information I could find in the matter was here, in the forum.

Where some Gopro "representative" happily announced that the remote will not be working with Hero 9, that they maybe will launch a new remote (probably for at lot more than the cost for our existing remotes), he could NOT give a launch date, he could NOT say if the "new" remote will be working with other Gopro cameras.

If Gopro wants to be considered as an alternative for professional use they should grow up, employ grown ups and start adapting to professional marketing rules.

Hiker

[ New ]

My problem is that when I ordered the Hero ) there was no information about the non working remote.

And when I first started to use the camera it did work. Without any warning or explanation it stopped working after the latest firmware update.

As I use Gopro cameras professionally and are used to control several cameras with the same remote it effects my work, effects it severely.

Gopro has kept that information from me and other buyers and that is tantamount to a crime, showing no respect for professional or other customers.

I have NOT got any answers to my emails to Gopro, the only information I could find in the matter was here, in the forum.

Where some Gopro "representative" happily announced that the remote will not be working with Hero 9, that they maybe will launch a new remote (probably for at lot more than the cost for our existing remotes), he could NOT give a launch date, he could NOT say if the "new" remote will be working with other Gopro cameras.

If Gopro wants to be considered as an alternative for professional use they should grow up, employ grown ups and start adapting to professional marketing rules.

Nomad

[ New ]

to keep this thread alive - here is page 125 of the OFFICIAL GOPRO HERO 9 Manual - see highlights

gopro h9 smart remote.JPG
Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, unfortunately this is just a case of laziness on the part of the manual creator using a copy and paste.  Not surprising since usually it's different dept's working on these things with very little communication between them.

Fact is the new remote may not even be in production yet.  It makes more sense to see how well the camera sells before producing additional (costly) accessories if you don't have guaranteed sales.

Nomad

[ New ]

they could start a poll and actually ask the customers what they want - not a hard thing to do and have all our emails.

and if they had any business sense what so ever; they could do a thing called "pre-order" with an expected release date so those wanting one can at least put their foot in the linem, be guaranteed a unit or 2; ultimately they know how many are ready to pull the trigger for manufacturing.

i swear there is a 6 year old running this circus

Nomad

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
Fantastic! How you do it? In my opinion it's just a matter of firmware!
Hiker

[ New ]
hi all, i thought i'd try a few techniques within the gopro app and hero 9 and managed to get the WiFi (old remote) and Smart remote working with the Hero 9....
Hiker

[ New ]

@fastcreek74726 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrTxR-a0iU

We have tried your suggestion, tried it with several remotes without any luck.

If you do not want to be just regarded as a UI for Gopro I humbly suggest that you include the information about the firmware version in your setup.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm also interested since I have 2 controls and I can't do it even by putting the camera on 2.4 G networks

Nomad

[ New ]

hi, the camera is running 1.22, the wifi remote is 2.2.1

it only works for a short time as the camera can't see the cloud to upload so drops off - proof of concept showing that it should work if they put the remote feature back in. i'd be happy with just start and stop; obviously the more legacy features they can put in the better

Tourist

[ New ]
For what it’s worth. I totally agree with everything you say
Sightseer

[ New ]

I can't believe the remote doesn't work!!!!!! This is a major problem for us who want to use all our other gopros!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Why doesn't anyone understand?

This is appalling....I only just bought the remote to use multiple cameras....TERRIBLE 

Hiker

[ New ]
You say you just bought “the remote”. What remote did you buy? The smart remote works with multiple cameras. Actually all cameras but 1, the most important one. I already returned my hero 9 within the return period bc it is useless to me with no remote. I might purchase again and return in 30 days if again, no remote. There is no point in having The warranty time go down on a new camera if I can’t use it.
If enough people Purchase and return the hero9 bc of their lack of remote, and their deceitfulness of not clearly letting buyers know there is no remote, then maybe they’ll get their act together.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Actually if enough people return the camera due to "no remote" GoPro will simply go out of business...... so honestly, what would you accomplish?  For those who didn't return, you'd have a camera that you now couldn't return to anyone, no forthcoming remote and forget about firmware updates and support.  So how would that help?

How about writing a thoughtful response and getting everyone to sign onto it.  Such as

"GoPro, you need to be more open and honest with your customers, we need a remote and saying "it's in the works" is unacceptable.  We need a remote now, we need it to support earlier model camera's, and most importantly of all, we need a timeline.  The lack of a remote is just hurting your business, not helping it.  Please try to understand your customers needs and disappointment with your transparency on this issue".

Heck, even list some features you would like to see in their "forthcoming" remote.  I for one think that having a backlight would be a huge advantage...  Anyone not agree on that one?

GoPro's biggest failure to date seems to be communicating to the public.  This release they have done a tiny bit better, they have one webpage up that lists known issues and when to expect a firmware update, one member of staff has also seen fit to communicate directly to users what they know about some of those issues.  This is what GoPro needs to do more of, they need to talk to their customers and have someone dedicated to issuing those updates.  It would be far better than leaving customers in the dark that's for sure.  Anyone else agree?

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m laughing at your comment. You can complain all you want but unless they see it in the bottom line you won’t see any quick results. If “enough people” (As you say) return their GoPros, they won’t go out of business. Please, don’t make me laugh. The Karma failure didn’t put them put of business. If every single hero 9 was returned, they still wouldn’t go out of business. Worst case their stock would fall, they’d realize the screw up, and Very worst case they’d restructure and still be around. I’m not telling everyone to return their GoPros. I just don’t see the need to have a camera I can’t use. And I think if enough people return them and they see that is the reason, they will notice it quicker than a few posts complaining in a chat room. Why would anyone want a camera that sits on the shelf while their warranty ticks away? Do you think a GoPro employee will run to the CEO and say we had a few complaints in a chat room? Or do you think an employee would be quick to say to the CEO, we’re getting a lot of hero 9 returns and it appears to be because we deactivated the smart remote capability, without having a new remote available yet?