Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 won't connect to Internet WiFi preventing me from live streaming

I have an iPhone 7 plus. All of the software and firmware has been updated a million and one times.  Yet, I am unable to connect to a network when I try to set up a Facebook or RTMP live stream using the GoPro iOS app.  The error message I get is Can't Connect We Couldn't connect your camera to this network. Cancel Try Again  .  I am sure it is not my phone or optimum because I used the iLive app and was able to do a RTMP live stream for facebook.  Also, I have been live streaming from my phone and from my computer.  So, the issue is either with the camera or the GoPro App for iOS.  I tried formatting the drive and manually downgrading and upgrading the firmware to no avail.  I tried changing the security of the network to WEP, WPA+WPA2, and WPA2 to no avail.  I also tried not using the WiFi to preview any video feed from the Hero 8 coming through onto the GoPro App.  Besides all that, I have had to do a factory reset on the camera multiple times and reset the netwok settings on my iphone multiple times.  The interesting thing is, if I put in a wrong password when trying to connect to my network, it will tell me that the password is wrong.  Also, if by chance, the GoPro powers down and then I have to go back and set up the live again, this time when I try to bring down the drop down box to select a WiFi network, it continuously searches for networks to no avail.  And then it has a grayed out option that No Network Available and to Make sure you're in wifi network range.  So there is something wrong with this connect to a network portion of the app and I don't know what the problem is.  But after I reset the camera to factory defaults and reset the network settings of the GoPro App, then when I return, the networks are discoverable again.  I've tried doing this on an android and still the same problem persists.  Except on the android I didn't even have an option to select a network originally.  Ultimately, all I want to do is be able to do a Facebook Live from my GoPro.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Is it the camera or the Optimum network that is faulty?

searching.png
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 won't connect to Internet WiFi preventing me from live streaming

Hi  @defthike581

Is there another phone you can test the camera with?

Have you tried disabling the Wi-Fi password to see if it will allow connection?

Would you be able to send us a screen recording of your workflow?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello!  Thanks for responding.  I think i have a little more clarity on what the problem is.

1) I did try the camera with another phone, an android, and the camera was able to connect to the network.  However, I didn't start a facebook live stream due to the fact that it was another person's phone.  But, all I need is for the app to connect to my optimum cable wifi, which it did in that instance.  However, I couldn't replicate it.  I believe if I spent more time on it by erasing the content and settings, maybe it would've worked again. Afterwards I kept getting the same "no networks available" error.

2) I tried playing around with the password and noticed that it didn't matter what password I put in, as long as i put one in, I kept getting the same error message that "Can't Connect We Couldn't connect your camera to this network. Cancel Try Again."  So, that tells me that the app isn't even checking the password, so even though it is detecting the network, there is a communication failure between the app and my wifi network.  But, when I tried to do a hot spot, it did access MetroPCS because MetroPCS sent me a message that I was trying to use a hotspot which I dont have as part of my package.  I also tried connecting to the regular optimum hotspot that requires zero password and I couldn't get it to do anything beyond give me that error message.

3)  So, I think it has something to do with the workflow as you called it of the way that the app connects to the camera's wifi network versus the way that the phone or the app connects to the internet wifi network.

4) Also, when I check my phone's wifi connections, I have never seen the phone connect to the camera's wifi network.  At first, I think I may have seen it intermittently, but since then I haven't seen it.

5) Can you explain me what are the steps by which the go pro connects to the bluetooth, the camera's wifi, and then the internet wifi?  And why?  Maybe we can trouble shoot it in that way.

6)  Also, I even erased everything on my iphone and started all over again and still to no avail.  Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks for getting back to us.@defthike581

Can you help us with the follow ing information:

-iOS version

-GoPro App version

When initiating a Live stream, the apps' connection to the camera will switch to Bluetooth.

Do you experience any issues when using the camera while paired with the app?

For information regarding the Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth connection, check out What is Bluetooth Connectivity? How Does it Differ From Wi-Fi?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

The iOS version is 13.5.

the go pro version is 6.13.

Yes, you are right that the app is no longer connected to the camera's wifi.  right now bluetooth is on and connected.  My phone is connected to the optimum wifi internet network.  but the app still has difficulty connecting to any wifi network.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @defthike581

We have released an update for the GoPro app both on Android and iOS.

Please make sure to restart your phone before pairing it with the camera again.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Highlighted
Nomad

The camera can only connect to the phone via WiFi. BT is also required to initiate this connection. A mobile data connection is required to stream the data to the internet. The mobile phone is not able to connect to two WLAN networks at the same time - there is no APP to help ....

To make matters worse, the mobile phone always automatically connects to the strongest WLAN. So if the camera loses the connection to the phone, it will immediately connect to the next known and strongest WLAN and also cancel the mobile data connection ... which is undesirable in this case. So you always have to make sure that your mobile phone only connects to the camera's WiFi!