Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 8 status light issues

After some searching, I see it's somewhat common. On my new Hero 8, the small light on the back does not go off unless I remove the battery. Performed a factory reset, three times. Reinstalled the firmware manually by downloading it and copying it to the SD card. The process completed normally. No errors. Removed and reinserted the battery. No change.

Tried three different batteries. Two are the newest batteries with the blue color, another was from my Hero 7 Black.

Tried three different SD cards, Sandisk Extreme Plus. All three cards work perfectly in my Hero 7 Black, Hero Session 5, two other digital cameras, and a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone.  The Hero 8 light does not go off even if I remove the card.

I noticed the camera will drain the battery about 8% over 5 hours. While it's turned off. 

Problem #2: The Hero 8 charges all the batteries completely, but the charge light on the front does not go off when the charge is completed. Only when you remove the USB cable. I don't consider that one serious, but it indicates some kind of issue.

Thoughts?  Suggestions other than returning it? I bought it directly from GoPro. Received it yesterday.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 status light issues

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mariustanya. I had completed the factory reset and manual firmware udpate. I just got off the phone with GoPro Customer Support. They had me go through the steps again, then upload a video showing the camera turned off with the back LED still on.

I did those things and sent them a link to the video. They examined it for a moment and said I should return the camera. They emailed me the RMA form and associated information. It looks like they will replace the camera as soon as possible. 3-5 days. 

By the way, I got through to them initially on the phone in only about 5 minutes!  Not bad at all.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

Following:  Just love to know   who else had it    you are  maybe the second person I read so far.    of here.

Highlighted
Hiker

Forgot to add, I also reformatted the cards as I tried them.  Both in the camera, and a low level format.

I noticed when doing google searches a number of people reported status lights staying on with various models. Some results from Reddit, others from different forums including this one. At least one person resolved it successfully by manually reinstalling the firmware as I did. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. His message is here on the GoPro forum somewhere. 

Highlighted
Hiker

A friendly bump to hopefully catch the eye of one of the GoPro reps here. I know this is not actually Tech Support, but I'm wondering if they might think of something I haven't tried yet before reaching out to Tech Support tomorrow some time.

By the way, the charging light goes off now when fully charged. Tried it a couple more times today. So that's good. But the light on the back still stays on unless I pull out the battery. It drains about 8% in five hours while the camera is turned off. 

Any ideas left?

Highlighted
GoPro

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mariustanya. I had completed the factory reset and manual firmware udpate. I just got off the phone with GoPro Customer Support. They had me go through the steps again, then upload a video showing the camera turned off with the back LED still on.

I did those things and sent them a link to the video. They examined it for a moment and said I should return the camera. They emailed me the RMA form and associated information. It looks like they will replace the camera as soon as possible. 3-5 days. 

By the way, I got through to them initially on the phone in only about 5 minutes!  Not bad at all.

Thanks for your help.