Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 split screen footage, freeze, and unresponsive power button

My new Hero 8 has been doing this quite frequently (every other day, or so).

Video capture splits, then freezes (but audio continues to be captured).

When I try and power the camera down, it doesn't respond the first few times, but will eventually power off (without a "powering off" message) and start back up again on its own, and without a second button-push while powered off. 

I'm running v1.20, and using a 256GB SanDisk U3/V30 card.

20191204_093527.jpg

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 split screen footage, freeze, and unresponsive power button

I just realized there's a v1.50 firmware update available, so will be installing that now.

That said, if anyone knows for sure that the issue I'm encountering is a known one, and addressed in this latest update, it'd be super helpful to know in advance.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

Also check your SD card carefully aginst the recommended cards specifically for the Hero 8. The SanDisk cards larger than 32GB should have the A2 designation, not the A1.  The A2 cards are higher performance.  It might not make a difference in other cameras, but it could for the Hero 8. That's what I've been using in my Hero 8 with no issues at all. Even shooting lots of video at 4k60p. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308

Highlighted
Tourist

Sorry, I realize now that I should have made my photo reference larger in my original post, but yes, it's an A2 card.

20191204_093527.jpg

Thanks for hopping in to assist though. 👍