Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 not cutting up files / Dateien nicht teilen

[ Edited ]

Hello,

i want to show some of the GPS data e.g. the pathing for the complete ride from the beginning til the ende, but cause of Hero 8 cutting up the files it will only show the pathing for this particular part of the video.

Is there any way to stop the Hero 8 from cutting up the files to 4GB ones or any other solution for this problem, preferably without any third party software?

Thanks

Hallo,

ich möchte gerne bei den GPS Daten z.B. die gesamte Strecke von Anfang bis Ende des Videos angezeigt bekommen.

Allerdings werden diese durch die Teilung der Dateien ja immer nur abschnittsweise angezeigt.

Lässt sich das Teilen der Dateien in 4GB Stücke deaktivieren um dies zu umgehen? Oder gibt es hier andere Lösungen, wenn möglich ohne Drittanbieter-Software?

MfG

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 8 not cutting up files / Dateien nicht teilen

What you are referring to is called Chaptering and it can not be changed. Sorry.
https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-File-Chaptering-Information/ta-p/390210
Highlighted
Hiker

I wondered this also. I've got a Hero 8 Black and Session 5. Shooting 1080p/60 on both. The Session 5 recorded the whole section of road in one 19minute file. The Hero 8 split it into 3 files!! (2x 8m51secs 1xthe rest of it).

Really annoying to piece things together.

Highlighted
Hiker

How are you using the GPS data? can't use it with Quik with the 8 :-(

Highlighted
Tourist

You can use the GPS data in the mobile app.

But therefore i need to join the clips in the app so that the GPS data will be merged too. But obviously there is no way for this.
Really frustrating that a camera like the HEro 8 comes along with such awful software apps.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah, the GoPro app (not Quik) is the only thing that can add overlays but editing a file on my iphone is zero fun (wait an age for the files to transfer from the camera to the cloud, then have to transfer them to the phone if there's enough space)....
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

For instant GPS data like speed or g-power the app is a workaround to accept. But for data like the pathing this doesn't work like intended cause the path only is displayed for the clip it is about to show at the moment but as soon as the next clip (chapter) is displayed the pathing of the previous one is gone.

Any way to merge this without extracting gps data and so on?

Highlighted
Nomad

GoPro does have new windows software coming, it's completed but working out the bugs, there's no release date yet.

However I use racerender for GPS info, it can also combine all the GPS paths into a single file.

Chaptering is quite a good thing as it stops you loosing entire shoots if there's an issue, any video editor can simply join the files back together.