Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 Problem not charging.and battery drain, heat

Appreciate you trying @embryriddledude

Do reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

I did reach out to the support team. I am waiting a response from the troubleshooting I did with them earlier. 

GoPro

[ Edited ]

@embryriddledude, sorry to hear about the trouble. I understand that our Support Team asked you to perform a short record time test to help determine the battery integrity -- the instructions were sent via email. When you're done with the test, you may reach back to them with the results for the next steps.

Additionally, what SD card are you using with the camera?

Hiker

I am using the SD card that GoPro sent with it.
Hiker

Ok, so no fix for the No Charging and Heat. I sent it back to GoPro on Monday the 28th. I will give it another go with a replacement camera and see how it goes. If i start to have a problem with the new one I'll just go back to my Hero 3 and maybe buy something else. I hope you guys don't have this issue or dead end. Good Luck
Adventurer

You have 30 - Days from the Original camera to return. Make sure you are 100% in the Return Policy.  Also make sure to ask before accepting the exchange you have the option to return  the exchange for a full refund  if the camera is nears the 30 day mark.

Sightseer

Re: Hero 8 not charging.and heat

Just got my gopro 8 delivered, and camera not charging! Same thing as other people saying. I'm not stupid and not gonna do some weird stuff, camera does not work, had extra battery included, both now drained to 3% . Have tried several
USB outlets and it's just simply the same. Camera shows that battery is being charged but nothing is happening
This morning my battery still at 3% and has been plugged in to Samsung charger that can output 18w
Is quite disappointing again thta go pro released ned camera just like 7 that does not work oi to box
Sightseer

Re: Hero 8 not charging.and heat

I am having EXACTLY the same issues:

1. does not charge using built-in USB port no matter what wall charger I use (1 A, 2 A)
2. heats up when on even when not operating
3. quickly drains the battery because of point 2 above even when not doing anything (except heating up, see point 1)
4. SIM card is original supplied with the GoPro, batteries are both new, have reset to factory settings, updated the firmware etc... everything that is recommended in this forum to no avail.
5. takes a long time to power off (e.g. 30 seconds to 1 minute) but powers on instantly !!

6. was not acting like this when purchased about 1.5 month ago. Started acting as described above recently

7. apart from the above, it works fine except that it gets even hotter

Do I need to return? Is this a faulty item?