Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero 8 not charging.and heat

Run a manual update of the camera and then a SD card format and then a factory reset (do not connect to the app when prompted). Turn the camera on, put it in 1080/30fps and start a recording. Let the recording run until the battery dies. Remove the SD card and plug the camera into your wall charger (let it cool for a bit before plugging it in). Let the battery charge for about two hours (it should be fully charged in about this time). Insert the SD card and format in the camera.

Sometimes the battery needs a few full charge cycles.

If the camera charges to 100% with the SD card removed, you need to do a FULL (overwrite) format. You can do this with a SD/USB adapter in your computer. The SD card association recommends using their tool. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Hiker

The battery was at 12% when i first started. I switched out with a 100% battery to finish setup. Because its new and i just got all of it, including 2 new extra batteries. Played with it a bit and then tried to charge, but still no luck. I bought the dual battery charger thats how im charging the batteries now.
Explorer

The dual charger is certainly the best, and safest, way to charge your batteries. It's the only way I ever charge mine.
Adventurer

just  had the backlight go on when unplugged  go-figure back  to your issue. a few cycles I agree.   on an external charger   but leads to wear-n-tear every time opening the  bat door up.  but   this is a new camera you have an issue and if it does not ocrrectly charge out of the box my suggestion is to RETURN  get a new.   if gopro is to be used  external chargers then gopro shouldsimply not allow us to charge via the cam (wink) so to each their own    call gopro  if the problem is not resolved by depletion and ful charge repeated  no more then 5 times.

Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Problem not charging.and battery drain, heat

Ok, so I just spent 40mins on the phone with Gopro Tech Support. Nice representive. Went through the whole process, On, Off, different battery, different cable. Factory Rest, Manual Update. On, Off. O by the way just before I called I tried to see if anything was different than before. Now the camera Shuts down when I have it powered on and Then plug in the USB-C from a wall charger. It says the camera is too hot and will automatically shut down. The camera was not hot, maybe luke warm. The battery was at a 100% (I changed it during the troubleshooting) after about 20mins it was down to 88% NOT RECORDING anything just it on. I don't know if that right or not. The rep says this is new to Gopro and had to send it up the food chain to see what they can do.

20191018_170610.jpg
GoPro

Hi @embryriddledude

Would you mind running the manual update again?

Once completed, please proceed with a FACTORY RESET.

See if this makes a difference. It is important to do the update first before resetting the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

Use the Return Policy.

If gotten  from gopro.com call back and simply request a return, a store  simply head back.  I understand some got discounts, ask them to reapply on the account  in an email. As you need time to decide the next step to take.

And you be either with an exchange or a full refund, your option.  I go for a refund and   sleep on it  that is my advice I give to all never rush things.. we all do.

you did your best and    just does not seem right .

Hiker

Ok, completed. Manual update with the current ver for Hero 8. Three files. Update successful. Charge light not staying on. Comes on for a few seconds at first then light goes out. Powered on with cable unpluged, then plugged USB-C cable in with wall charger (5v 2.0amps) Camera immediately says its too hot and shuts off. Camera is not physically hot. Battery now down to 82%. I haven't been recording just power on and offs.