Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 8 not charging.and heat

I am having a problem charging the hero 8. The light on the camera charge light doesn't stay on. It comes on at first then off after a couple of seconds. Light comes back on after about 20 seconds or so, but goes out again. I tried another battery that i bought when bought the hero 8 along with the dual battery charger. All from Gopros website. But it still did the same thing. I let the hero 8 sit over night where i took a picture of the battery percentage which was at 92% and when i woke up and turned it on i took another picture of the screen after powering it on it was at 90%. Didn't charge at all. I have already updated the hero 8 when i turned it on for the first time yesterday. Also seems to a decent amount of heat coming from the hero 8 just being on and not recording. Can someone please advise me. I just this yesterday.
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 not charging.and heat

It did something similar to me when I tried charing it through computer USB. But it was because it was connecting as USB device for file transfer instead of just charging (because it was turned on I think). 

So with the camera turned off plugging it into the computer USB or into a wall Sockect charges normally and the red light stays on.

Hiker

Thats what I had was a wall charger. It was the recommended 5v 2amp.
20191017_204208.jpg
Adventurer

I am sorry to hear these same issues again on a gopro camera:

remove the battery next time and unplug the cable,   use a supplied power source rating 1.20A or higher not lower the higher the rating the better but not to exceed gopro's rated charge noted on their manual.

Battery   should not be under or over charged.  and should simply work.  Heat is to be expected  not scorching heat like  boiling water. more like  a babies bath.

Hiker

I actually did remove the battery and the usb-c and tried it again. Still the same results. Is the charge light supposed to be on constantly? So yes the heat was just warm but not untouchable. What are your thoughts?
Adventurer

as  our posts  were the same time:

that charger should do.  3 to 5 hrs it would go off all leds. 

1 if the bat is removed, you can turn the camera on and use it.

2 if the camera is on can you insert carefully and see the  backscreen battery go to AC when inserting.

those are some thoughts I got for now.

Hiker

I took pic of screen showing that it was charging last night and this morning.
20191018_045331.jpg
Adventurer

Possible that the camera is at 100%  not correctly showing. can be a thought?  not new with GoPro