Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 8 not charging.and heat

[ New ]
I am having a problem charging the hero 8. The light on the camera charge light doesn't stay on. It comes on at first then off after a couple of seconds. Light comes back on after about 20 seconds or so, but goes out again. I tried another battery that i bought when bought the hero 8 along with the dual battery charger. All from Gopros website. But it still did the same thing. I let the hero 8 sit over night where i took a picture of the battery percentage which was at 92% and when i woke up and turned it on i took another picture of the screen after powering it on it was at 90%. Didn't charge at all. I have already updated the hero 8 when i turned it on for the first time yesterday. Also seems to a decent amount of heat coming from the hero 8 just being on and not recording. Can someone please advise me. I just this yesterday.
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 not charging.and heat

[ New ]

It did something similar to me when I tried charing it through computer USB. But it was because it was connecting as USB device for file transfer instead of just charging (because it was turned on I think). 

So with the camera turned off plugging it into the computer USB or into a wall Sockect charges normally and the red light stays on.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thats what I had was a wall charger. It was the recommended 5v 2amp.
20191017_204208.jpg
Adventurer

[ New ]

I am sorry to hear these same issues again on a gopro camera:

remove the battery next time and unplug the cable,   use a supplied power source rating 1.20A or higher not lower the higher the rating the better but not to exceed gopro's rated charge noted on their manual.

Battery   should not be under or over charged.  and should simply work.  Heat is to be expected  not scorching heat like  boiling water. more like  a babies bath.

Hiker

[ New ]
I actually did remove the battery and the usb-c and tried it again. Still the same results. Is the charge light supposed to be on constantly? So yes the heat was just warm but not untouchable. What are your thoughts?
Adventurer

[ New ]

as  our posts  were the same time:

that charger should do.  3 to 5 hrs it would go off all leds. 

1 if the bat is removed, you can turn the camera on and use it.

2 if the camera is on can you insert carefully and see the  backscreen battery go to AC when inserting.

those are some thoughts I got for now.

Hiker

[ New ]
I took pic of screen showing that it was charging last night and this morning.
20191018_045331.jpg
Adventurer

[ New ]

Possible that the camera is at 100%  not correctly showing. can be a thought?  not new with GoPro 

Explorer

[ New ]
Run a manual update of the camera and then a SD card format and then a factory reset (do not connect to the app when prompted). Turn the camera on, put it in 1080/30fps and start a recording. Let the recording run until the battery dies. Remove the SD card and plug the camera into your wall charger (let it cool for a bit before plugging it in). Let the battery charge for about two hours (it should be fully charged in about this time). Insert the SD card and format in the camera.

Sometimes the battery needs a few full charge cycles.

If the camera charges to 100% with the SD card removed, you need to do a FULL (overwrite) format. You can do this with a SD/USB adapter in your computer. The SD card association recommends using their tool. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Hiker

[ New ]
The battery was at 12% when i first started. I switched out with a 100% battery to finish setup. Because its new and i just got all of it, including 2 new extra batteries. Played with it a bit and then tried to charge, but still no luck. I bought the dual battery charger thats how im charging the batteries now.
Explorer

[ New ]
The dual charger is certainly the best, and safest, way to charge your batteries. It's the only way I ever charge mine.
Adventurer

[ New ]

just  had the backlight go on when unplugged  go-figure back  to your issue. a few cycles I agree.   on an external charger   but leads to wear-n-tear every time opening the  bat door up.  but   this is a new camera you have an issue and if it does not ocrrectly charge out of the box my suggestion is to RETURN  get a new.   if gopro is to be used  external chargers then gopro shouldsimply not allow us to charge via the cam (wink) so to each their own    call gopro  if the problem is not resolved by depletion and ful charge repeated  no more then 5 times.

Hiker

Re: Hero 8 Problem not charging.and battery drain, heat

[ New ]

Ok, so I just spent 40mins on the phone with Gopro Tech Support. Nice representive. Went through the whole process, On, Off, different battery, different cable. Factory Rest, Manual Update. On, Off. O by the way just before I called I tried to see if anything was different than before. Now the camera Shuts down when I have it powered on and Then plug in the USB-C from a wall charger. It says the camera is too hot and will automatically shut down. The camera was not hot, maybe luke warm. The battery was at a 100% (I changed it during the troubleshooting) after about 20mins it was down to 88% NOT RECORDING anything just it on. I don't know if that right or not. The rep says this is new to Gopro and had to send it up the food chain to see what they can do.

20191018_170610.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @embryriddledude

Would you mind running the manual update again?

Once completed, please proceed with a FACTORY RESET.

See if this makes a difference. It is important to do the update first before resetting the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Adventurer

[ New ]

Use the Return Policy.

If gotten  from gopro.com call back and simply request a return, a store  simply head back.  I understand some got discounts, ask them to reapply on the account  in an email. As you need time to decide the next step to take.

And you be either with an exchange or a full refund, your option.  I go for a refund and   sleep on it  that is my advice I give to all never rush things.. we all do.

you did your best and    just does not seem right .

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, completed. Manual update with the current ver for Hero 8. Three files. Update successful. Charge light not staying on. Comes on for a few seconds at first then light goes out. Powered on with cable unpluged, then plugged USB-C cable in with wall charger (5v 2.0amps) Camera immediately says its too hot and shuts off. Camera is not physically hot. Battery now down to 82%. I haven't been recording just power on and offs.

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate you trying @embryriddledude

Do reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I did reach out to the support team. I am waiting a response from the troubleshooting I did with them earlier. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@embryriddledude, sorry to hear about the trouble. I understand that our Support Team asked you to perform a short record time test to help determine the battery integrity -- the instructions were sent via email. When you're done with the test, you may reach back to them with the results for the next steps.

Additionally, what SD card are you using with the camera?

Hiker

[ New ]
I am using the SD card that GoPro sent with it.
Hiker

[ New ]
Ok, so no fix for the No Charging and Heat. I sent it back to GoPro on Monday the 28th. I will give it another go with a replacement camera and see how it goes. If i start to have a problem with the new one I'll just go back to my Hero 3 and maybe buy something else. I hope you guys don't have this issue or dead end. Good Luck
Adventurer

[ New ]

You have 30 - Days from the Original camera to return. Make sure you are 100% in the Return Policy.  Also make sure to ask before accepting the exchange you have the option to return  the exchange for a full refund  if the camera is nears the 30 day mark.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Just got my gopro 8 delivered, and camera not charging! Same thing as other people saying. I'm not stupid and not gonna do some weird stuff, camera does not work, had extra battery included, both now drained to 3% . Have tried several
USB outlets and it's just simply the same. Camera shows that battery is being charged but nothing is happening
This morning my battery still at 3% and has been plugged in to Samsung charger that can output 18w
Is quite disappointing again thta go pro released ned camera just like 7 that does not work oi to box
Sightseer

[ New ]

I am having EXACTLY the same issues:

1. does not charge using built-in USB port no matter what wall charger I use (1 A, 2 A)
2. heats up when on even when not operating
3. quickly drains the battery because of point 2 above even when not doing anything (except heating up, see point 1)
4. SIM card is original supplied with the GoPro, batteries are both new, have reset to factory settings, updated the firmware etc... everything that is recommended in this forum to no avail.
5. takes a long time to power off (e.g. 30 seconds to 1 minute) but powers on instantly !!

6. was not acting like this when purchased about 1.5 month ago. Started acting as described above recently

7. apart from the above, it works fine except that it gets even hotter

Do I need to return? Is this a faulty item?

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your camera, @alertridge1650. It would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can troubleshoot the issue with you. To connect with Support, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and fill out the form with the needed details. Once done, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't see any posts for 2020, but I am having this same issue. I have had the camera for abt 2 wks and just now pulled it out to charge it. Very disappointed. I had the 7 and gave it to my son, it had only been used like 3 times, never had this issue. Anyone get a resolve on this?

Thank you

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @activelift615,

If you already followed recommended troubleshooting steps it would be best to contact GoPro customer support.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Jay. I had tried everything, and finally the one single thing that worked was to remove the SD card while charging. Every time I tried charging it would discharge instead. I went ahead and ordered a charger to be separate from camera for future use. Thank you for replying.

Explorer

[ New ]
If removing the SD card resolved the issue, there is a good chance there is an issue with the card. Complete a full Overwrite/Format of the card using this tool https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Once done, do a manual update of the camera and then format the card in the camera.

You should also test with another card from this list https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308

Obviously, the card you are currently using should also be on the list (matching Brand/Model/Size).
Tourist

[ New ]

Okay thank you. The card came with the bundle I purchased on Amazon. I will let you know how it goes.

Explorer

[ New ]
Amazon sometimes bundles pretty crappy cards. If it's a SanDisk Ultra, just throw it away. Never use SanDisk Ultra or Samsung EVO+ (Evo Plus, not the same as Evo+, is ok).
Adventurer

[ New ]

I use an Ultra, just not for the gopro Lol 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for all the good information.

Hiker

[ New ]
Got the similar bug. The led light went off and then on during the charging. I reinserted the battery and it stopped. But the led stayed On and didn't get Off after a couple hours. I disconnected from power charger and the battery was 100%.
Hiker

[ New ]
I already had the bug when the led didn't go off after the change was completed. Fased with it again today. The led just stays On and doesn't want to go off, but the battery is 100% charged
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @sunnyridge56840. .Which SD card are you using? Have you tried charging your camera without the SD card? See if removing the SD card while charging the camera makes a difference. In addition, we recommend doing a manual firmware update (if not done yet) to clear any possible error with the current installation. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Adventurer

[ New ]

I  sit by my camera as how I charge things then come back to a  pile...

the gopro in the lap  chimes and goes through stages.  let gopro explain that, will they????

the led charges 80% fast then slow 20%   Laptop the longest.   At times the Bug stops it from correctly  following the command given by gopros software.

Hiker

[ New ]
I use Sandisk U3 Extreme 128 GB card. And when I unplug the charger the led continues to light and the the camera won't turn on (I have to make reset by holding power button for 10 secs), but after the resetting, the camera shows 100 % of charge. It started yesterday. Will try to use another charger, for example Samsung.