Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 8 keeps turning itself on

[ New ]
I've recently purchased a Hero 8 and since I've subscribed to Plus the came will keep turning itself on as long as it has battery left at seemingly random intervals that range from a couple seconds to over an hour. This is extremely annoying because not only will it have drained the battery overnight but each time it turns on it makes that very loud beeping sequence which wakes me up even from the other room. Please don't tell me to remove the battery when I'm not using it. A camera this expensive shouldn't do stuff like this on its own.
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 keeps turning itself on

[ New ]

Hi @daringwave26507,

Please try this. 

Turn off voice command and Wireless Connection/Wi-Fi.

After that observe the camera if it is still doing the same thing. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Jay, I was having the same issue. I turned off both wireless connections and voice control and the Hero8 (with the latest 1.50.00 firmware) has stopped turning on by itself. Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to know that @ilyakol

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Any update to this?  Turning off voice and wifi is not an option.  This appears to be an issue with Bluetooth.  My Hero 8 sits happily idle if BT is turned off on my phone.  When I turn it on, it started waking up for on reason.

This is a camera firmware issue and needs to be addressed!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Will there be a fix for this? I am also having the same issue and do not want to have to turn off WiFi and then reconnect it every time I turn the camera off and on respectively.
Tourist

[ New ]

This happens to me on the 8 i just got when the bluetooth is turned on on my phone.  Looks like any time i try to pair with the go pro it powers it up. Handy in a way , annoying in another.   Unpairing it or turning off bluetooth stops it powering back up

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

If you haven't yet, please proceed with a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update
Once done, reset the camera to its factory settings. https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Reset-Camera-Settings/ta-p/388279

Let us know how it goes.
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I had only just got the GoPro out of the box , it asked me to run updates so i did this so it was fully up to date. It happened when i connected the bluetooth from my phone. As long as bluetooth is disabled it wont happen , but as soon as i turn on bluetooth it seems to power up the gopro. I have the 7 as well and i havent seen this happen with that one.
GoPro

[ New ]

@noblelift67, the Bluetooth acts as the initial handshake between the camera and the phone, as well as maintains the connection after a period of inactivity with the GoPro App. Other than getting the camera's firmware updated, please ensure to have the latest version of the GoPro App installed on your mobile device and the mobile OS is updated as well.

For our reference, what's the mobile OS installed and the phone model?

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm having the same issue. Very annoying. Will try to turn off connections on the GoPro. I'm using Android s9+.
Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez I have a Samsumg Galaxy S9 , the go pro app is on 6.2.3(8447) - The phone is on andriod 9 at patch level dated 1 November 2019 Kernel version 4.9.59-16947752   ( Bluetooth® v5.0 ) 

Also, i must test a bit more now, but i have the gopro 7 on the same app and i have never noticed it doing this 

Tourist

[ New ]

I just got my GoPro Hero 8, and have the same issue. (my first GoPro)

Samsung Galaxy S8+, go pro app is on 6.2.3(8447), The phone is on andriod 9 at patch level dated 1 November 2019 Kernel

No issues if i force BT off on the phone, Wifi can stay on on the GoPro, no issues.

If BT is enabled on the Phone, it wakes the GoPro..

Uninstalled the APP, and removed the BT pairing, still turns on, if BT is active on the Phone.

Sightseer

[ New ]

We need a fix!  Never knowing whether or not the battery will be drained due to continuous random startups makes the camera unreliable and therefore unusable.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also just unpacked the camera. Firmware updated. Have the same issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Seems like it is a common issue.

Mine will restart if I leave the wifi connection to ON.

If I turn off the wifi on the go pro, it never restarts.

Does GoPro look at these messages or do we need to contact them directly?

Hiker

[ New ]

Same issue here with GoPro MAX. Please fix it for us. Also, can we have an option on GoPRO max to make it turn off automatically after a period of inactivity ? This would also partially solve the battery drain problem. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. Thank you for sharing the details. To verify, have you all manually updated your camera firmware? Does the camera still power on with the Bluetooth enabled on your device, even when the GoPro App is not opened or launched?

We just tested with an Android device and a HERO8 Black camera. The device's Bluetooth is enabled, GoPro app not launched and the camera remained powered off. This is even within 8 hours of the last pairing.  A manual firmware update (not via the GoPro app or Quik for desktop), followed by a factory reset as previously suggested should resolve the issue. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @kashlv. There is such an option on the MAX that will automatically power off after a specified period of time. You can choose to automatically turn the camera off with inactivity within 5 Min, 15 Min (default), 30 Min, or Never. To do this, go to Preferences, then General then look for Auto Power Off. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello! I will try to factory reset the camera and will let you know if the issue persists. Thank you!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue here. We shouldn't have to manually update the firmware or turn off unrelated features of the camera, such as WiFi, just for it to stay off. From looking around the forums, it seems that this issue isn't new to the Hero 8 Black, either. 

It's incredibly frustrating to charge up my camera, only to then pick it up to use it a couple days later and find that it has died from turning itself on and off. 

This was my first GoPro, and I must say that between this and an often laggy, if not outright unresponsive UI, the experience has been incredibly disappointing. I'll be returining mine. Hopefully the next model is better. 

Tourist

[ New ]
So I had the same issue and once I manually updated to the latest firmware I no longer have that issue.
Download from gopro website, put in SD card and then update.

Tourist

[ New ]

The manual update and factory reset did not work for me. I just received the Hero 8 yesterday and am having the same issue as everyone else here. If connections are enabled and my phone's bluetooth is on, camera starts on its own. When I turn phone bluetooth off, it doesn't do this. Hero 8, Firmware 1.5 (manually updated from SD), Google Pixel 3A running Android v.10. Gopro App v 6.2.3 (8447)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @samf70,

Try to turn off the Wi-Fi and voice command of your camera before you turn off your camera completely. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue also. I just did the manual update and factory reset and camera still turns itself on.... GOPRO please issue an update to fix this please

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @steveh48104

Do you turn off the Wi-Fi before turning off your camera?

Please try it and let us know if that will work. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
I guess gopros marketing team should remove wifi as a an advertised feature since the work around for this is to just keep it off. Obviously this works as a temporary fix but is ridiculous that this is your consistent solution.
Tourist

[ New ]
No, I turn off the connection from the GoPro to the phone and that solves the problem
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same trouble. Brand new, done all the updates. Samsung Note 10. Turn off bluetooth on the phone, GoPro turns off??? We need a fix as turning bluetooth on and off isn't always an option

@daringwave26507 wrote:
I've recently purchased a Hero 8 and since I've subscribed to Plus the came will keep turning itself on as long as it has battery left at seemingly random intervals that range from a couple seconds to over an hour. This is extremely annoying because not only will it have drained the battery overnight but each time it turns on it makes that very loud beeping sequence which wakes me up even from the other room. Please don't tell me to remove the battery when I'm not using it. A camera this expensive shouldn't do stuff like this on its own.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am also experiencing the issue here. I followed the entire 4 pages of the thread here. I reset my gopro, uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone and set it up again. The issue still persists. I turned off the wifi connection and then it went away. Why do I have to turn off a setting that should work. As others have mentioned, GoPro Support what are you doing to fix this? We would like an update on if there is going to be a patch or something. I'm going on a trip to Iceland and I don't want my camera dying on me on the road. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have it as well and none of these options helped.
GoPro

[ New ]

Can you please check your Wi-Fi and Voice Command settings? @mxmark

Please make sure that both of them is turned off before shutting down your camera. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
Same here. They initially worked for me but eventually did not. I had to reset the camera and skip the app setup. Only thing that worked.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem.  I just got my hero 8.  The firmware was updated.  It keeps turning itself on after I turn it off.  This is frustrating.  I even tried turning of voice commands and wifi, which I shouldn't have to do.  Is a fix being worked on for this?

It seems that if I force close the app, it will not power on.  That doesn't seem right to me.  BTW, app is latest version, I just installed it for the first time about an hour ago.

Sightseer

[ New ]

All updates done, still tunrs itself on. Did manual update, latest app version. Drove 2 hours throught the jungle to a new cenote only to look at an empty battery upon arrival. Obviously the battery was fully charged before leaving,

Great! Was really happy about that.

Oh, WiFi, BT and voice commands were off, camera was inside an underwater housing.

Splendid firmware!

Tourist

[ New ]
Same issue. Turns itself on after 10 seconds when the camera is shut down with wifi left on. This really is unacceptable. This thread is months old and still no fix? This is a major feature of the camera that is unusable. Pretty disappointed to have such issues after such a big expense.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @heroicbeac0420

If you continue to get the same behavior after the troubleshooting steps listed above, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Just completed the manual update as described in this thread. The camera still powers on almost immediately after powering down. The only way to stop this from happening is to turn off the wireless connectivity on the camera, which prevents the ability of the app to interact with the camera. It appears that this issues dates back all the way to the Hero5 with no apparent resolution. Can you comment on if/how this issue can be resolved? It's kind of a major function of the camera that cannot be used. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the hero 7 and well and this doesn't happen on that. It's a huge issue with the 8 that's made me tell 100s of people not to get one
Tourist

[ New ]
I completely deleted the app from my phone and installed it on my tablet that runs Android 9 as well and the camera works fine. No auto rebooting. It reinstalled the app on my phone, connected the camera and the issue came back. It definitely seems like it is an issue isolated to the phone interface.

I spend 2 hours (not exaggerating) on the phone today with gopro support and they were not able to resolve the issue. They feel like it is a hardware issue with the camera, but I disagree. It's with how the app interacts with my phone.
Tourist

[ New ]

This started happening to me a few days ago. I just updated the app on my iPhone but that hasn't corrected the problem. I even tried turning off the wi-fi. THIS IS NOT GOOD! 

Tourist

[ New ]
During my 2 hour conversion with gopro support, the gentleman seemed bewildered that it was happening and kept saying this is the first time they've heard of the issue! I said there are clearly tons of people with the same issue! Read the message boards!!! It was a total waste of 2 hours of my time.
Tourist

[ New ]

Ugh. I am currently trying setting the auto off to 5 minutes ( I had it on never ). Maybe that will work in the meantime. 

It's odd because this was not an issue until the last week. I have had this camera since Novemeber. 

Tourist

[ New ]
When i turned bluetooth off it stopped happening
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, that appears to be the issue. The Bluetooth is constantly waking up the gopro. Certainly not reasonable to have to keep Bluetooth off. I have other devices that I need to keep connected.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Yeah I also send email and it didn't get fixed I know a lot of people that have this problem and are waiting for a update. Also it seems to happen more to me when I'm charging it. When it gets around 50% the camera turns on and stops charging and doesn't shut off. So it drained the battery. I wish they would just send me a new one at this point but from friends I've heard they "try" to fix it and they just get the same one back. It's very frustrating.
Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah, I'm not really interested in going the warranty route since it's not likely a hardware issue. Since it works fine on my tablet, I don't think a replacement unit will solve the problem. I haven't yet used the camera once, and I am already regretting buying it.
Tourist

[ New ]
I work in media, I'm going to report this to the news desks of all the places I deal with at this point as it seems to be a massive flaw being ignored. I'll get all the reporters I know to do a little article on it. I think impacting sales is the only way to get this resolved , though with this virus not many stories will make it anywhere
Hiker

[ New ]

This has just started happening to my camera. I can't turn the thing off, because it keeps turning itself back on again. Pulling the battery out and putting it back again fixed the issue, at least for the meantime.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Bonjour, J'ai le meme propbleme sur ma gopro Hero8 que je viens de vouloir reutiliser aujourd'hui. Impossible de l'arreter completement. Elle redemarre à chaque fois. J'ai bien la verison fw v1.60.

Option Control Vocal: Non (off)

Option Connexions sans fil: Non (off)