Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 keeps turning itself on

Same here. They initially worked for me but eventually did not. I had to reset the camera and skip the app setup. Only thing that worked.
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.  I just got my hero 8.  The firmware was updated.  It keeps turning itself on after I turn it off.  This is frustrating.  I even tried turning of voice commands and wifi, which I shouldn't have to do.  Is a fix being worked on for this?

It seems that if I force close the app, it will not power on.  That doesn't seem right to me.  BTW, app is latest version, I just installed it for the first time about an hour ago.

Highlighted
Sightseer

All updates done, still tunrs itself on. Did manual update, latest app version. Drove 2 hours throught the jungle to a new cenote only to look at an empty battery upon arrival. Obviously the battery was fully charged before leaving,

Great! Was really happy about that.

Oh, WiFi, BT and voice commands were off, camera was inside an underwater housing.

Splendid firmware!

Highlighted
Tourist

Same issue. Turns itself on after 10 seconds when the camera is shut down with wifi left on. This really is unacceptable. This thread is months old and still no fix? This is a major feature of the camera that is unusable. Pretty disappointed to have such issues after such a big expense.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @heroicbeac0420

If you continue to get the same behavior after the troubleshooting steps listed above, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Just completed the manual update as described in this thread. The camera still powers on almost immediately after powering down. The only way to stop this from happening is to turn off the wireless connectivity on the camera, which prevents the ability of the app to interact with the camera. It appears that this issues dates back all the way to the Hero5 with no apparent resolution. Can you comment on if/how this issue can be resolved? It's kind of a major function of the camera that cannot be used. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the hero 7 and well and this doesn't happen on that. It's a huge issue with the 8 that's made me tell 100s of people not to get one
Highlighted
Tourist

I completely deleted the app from my phone and installed it on my tablet that runs Android 9 as well and the camera works fine. No auto rebooting. It reinstalled the app on my phone, connected the camera and the issue came back. It definitely seems like it is an issue isolated to the phone interface.

I spend 2 hours (not exaggerating) on the phone today with gopro support and they were not able to resolve the issue. They feel like it is a hardware issue with the camera, but I disagree. It's with how the app interacts with my phone.