Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 keeps turning itself on

Same issue here with GoPro MAX. Please fix it for us. Also, can we have an option on GoPRO max to make it turn off automatically after a period of inactivity ? This would also partially solve the battery drain problem. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello Everyone. Thank you for sharing the details. To verify, have you all manually updated your camera firmware? Does the camera still power on with the Bluetooth enabled on your device, even when the GoPro App is not opened or launched?

We just tested with an Android device and a HERO8 Black camera. The device's Bluetooth is enabled, GoPro app not launched and the camera remained powered off. This is even within 8 hours of the last pairing.  A manual firmware update (not via the GoPro app or Quik for desktop), followed by a factory reset as previously suggested should resolve the issue. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @kashlv. There is such an option on the MAX that will automatically power off after a specified period of time. You can choose to automatically turn the camera off with inactivity within 5 Min, 15 Min (default), 30 Min, or Never. To do this, go to Preferences, then General then look for Auto Power Off. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello! I will try to factory reset the camera and will let you know if the issue persists. Thank you!

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Same issue here. We shouldn't have to manually update the firmware or turn off unrelated features of the camera, such as WiFi, just for it to stay off. From looking around the forums, it seems that this issue isn't new to the Hero 8 Black, either. 

It's incredibly frustrating to charge up my camera, only to then pick it up to use it a couple days later and find that it has died from turning itself on and off. 

This was my first GoPro, and I must say that between this and an often laggy, if not outright unresponsive UI, the experience has been incredibly disappointing. I'll be returining mine. Hopefully the next model is better. 

Highlighted
Tourist

So I had the same issue and once I manually updated to the latest firmware I no longer have that issue.
Download from gopro website, put in SD card and then update.

Highlighted
Tourist

The manual update and factory reset did not work for me. I just received the Hero 8 yesterday and am having the same issue as everyone else here. If connections are enabled and my phone's bluetooth is on, camera starts on its own. When I turn phone bluetooth off, it doesn't do this. Hero 8, Firmware 1.5 (manually updated from SD), Google Pixel 3A running Android v.10. Gopro App v 6.2.3 (8447)

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @samf70,

Try to turn off the Wi-Fi and voice command of your camera before you turn off your camera completely. 

-Jay