Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 keeps turning itself on

I had only just got the GoPro out of the box , it asked me to run updates so i did this so it was fully up to date. It happened when i connected the bluetooth from my phone. As long as bluetooth is disabled it wont happen , but as soon as i turn on bluetooth it seems to power up the gopro. I have the 7 as well and i havent seen this happen with that one.
Highlighted
GoPro

@noblelift67, the Bluetooth acts as the initial handshake between the camera and the phone, as well as maintains the connection after a period of inactivity with the GoPro App. Other than getting the camera's firmware updated, please ensure to have the latest version of the GoPro App installed on your mobile device and the mobile OS is updated as well.

For our reference, what's the mobile OS installed and the phone model?

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having the same issue. Very annoying. Will try to turn off connections on the GoPro. I'm using Android s9+.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@aenriquez I have a Samsumg Galaxy S9 , the go pro app is on 6.2.3(8447) - The phone is on andriod 9 at patch level dated 1 November 2019 Kernel version 4.9.59-16947752   ( Bluetooth® v5.0 ) 

Also, i must test a bit more now, but i have the gopro 7 on the same app and i have never noticed it doing this 

Highlighted
Tourist

I just got my GoPro Hero 8, and have the same issue. (my first GoPro)

Samsung Galaxy S8+, go pro app is on 6.2.3(8447), The phone is on andriod 9 at patch level dated 1 November 2019 Kernel

No issues if i force BT off on the phone, Wifi can stay on on the GoPro, no issues.

If BT is enabled on the Phone, it wakes the GoPro..

Uninstalled the APP, and removed the BT pairing, still turns on, if BT is active on the Phone.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

We need a fix!  Never knowing whether or not the battery will be drained due to continuous random startups makes the camera unreliable and therefore unusable.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have also just unpacked the camera. Firmware updated. Have the same issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

Seems like it is a common issue.

Mine will restart if I leave the wifi connection to ON.

If I turn off the wifi on the go pro, it never restarts.

Does GoPro look at these messages or do we need to contact them directly?