Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Hero 8 is Protunes now a forced on

Let me understand this and see if  I can explain this the best I can that may be a Function we all did not ask for and why It should have an On/Off, or am I totally missing the point, the video will clearly explain it as I  can not write it  correctly.   Also why does the  camera turn on after the 100% charge is completed.

https://youtu.be/TW7KTs_kWXs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 is Protunes now a forced on

All protunes really is is a way to hide settings the idiots using the cameras.  The settings hidden by protunes are set to a default value.  

In the past you havent been able to see what the settings are but the only difference is that you are seeing what the default values are, if you don't want to change them just leave them alone, if you do want to change them then obviously the default settings aren't for you.

Even in the Hero 7/6/5/4Protunes being turned on didn't do anything magical (except upping the bitrate a bit). Switching it off just reset them back to defaults.   Those settings that showed up under Protunes still existed - there's still a shutter speed, white balance, max iso, sharpness, colour profile etc all of which the camera decides what to set them at.  Only thing is that with these cameras you don't know what the default is because Protunes is hiding settings from idiots to stop them messing up the shots.

Protunes isn't a magic wand - it's a veil pulled across your eyes.  

To me the way that the profiles are looking to work make Protunes obsolete - there's no reaon to try and hide the settings from users anymore.  Users are getting more used to the settings on the camera and tweaking them for different scenarios and the new profiles allow you to save these scenarios.

Highlighted
Adventurer

I understand the    Eye  of the camera is chosing the scene.  just missed the  on/off.   go-figure  Lol thanks for the  Advice and info apprecite it

Highlighted
Hiker

By the way - I wasn't suggesting that anyone in particular was an idiot.  Just that it was Gopros marketing strategy of making Protunes out to be something special when in fact all it was was a hidded menu.  Turning it on lets you see the hidden options.

If they had labled it "Advanced Options" from the start no one would have made a fuss about it.

When the Hero 6 came out there were alot of people comparing it to the Yi 4k+ (not the Yi 4k) with some saying "but the Gopro has Protunes" without really knowing what it actually did (when asked they often said thing like "It makes the camera better").  The Yi 4k+ has the same settings, it just puts them in the menu straight away so you don't have to hunt around to change the sharpness level - same thing with most other cameras (although few had flat colour and not all offered shutter speed).

I do like the way that the profiles let you group together the settings (Advanced/Protunes as well as the regular settings) for specific tasks/environments which is why I thing that turning the Advanced settings on or off is redundant now.  If only we could change the name of the Profiles because I don't think that all the default names are going to be relevent to alot of people. 

Highlighted
Backpacker

@jay-ell wrote:

I do like the way that the profiles let you group together the settings (Advanced/Protunes as well as the regular settings) for specific tasks/environments which is why I thing that turning the Advanced settings on or off is redundant now.  If only we could change the name of the Profiles because I don't think that all the default names are going to be relevent to alot of people. 

I agree...as I said many time this to me is a great feature!...plus I can set shortcuts on screen for the advanced settings !!!!

just me.

robert

Highlighted
Adventurer

Yep the  protunes is the Manual  settings, advance for sure.  As I learn the camera certain things just did not add up and now they do a new learning curve thanks again. I am the Idiot Lol    sticks and stones oh stay tuned the idiot is gopro for not marking my next thread to correct the manual!!!