Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 freezing while charging

[ New ]

Thanks! @litheboost4261

We'll have this shared with the team.

We'll post back for updates.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I tried charging the camera and I still have the same issue.

A few comments that may be important:

* Firmware version: v1.60

* The battery wasn't fully charged.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ipeluffo, just to clarify, do you get the same results without the SD card in the camera? What's the SD card used?

Hiker

[ New ]

Don't want to be anagonistic, but how does it matter if it happens without the SD card?  The camera should be chargeable with or without the card.  It's not rocket science, guys...  it's just charging the battery.  Is it a software or hardware issue?  As customers we deserve transparency!

GoPro

[ New ]

@litheboost4261, yes, the camera should be chargeable with or without the SD card in it. I asked if the same result happens without the SD card to further isolate the problem. There were several instances where faulty SD cards (recommended or not) cause issues in the camera.

Moreover, using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card. 

If the problem is with the firmware, then manually reinstalling it should resolve the issue.

Anyhow if the problem persists in spite of going over the suggested troubleshooting steps and using a recommended charger (5V 2A output), the best way to move forward is to get in touch with our Support Team so they can assist you further with the next process.

Hiker

[ New ]

As I've noted before, manually installing the latest firmware does not solve the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez ,

> do you get the same results without the SD card in the camera?

I haven't tried charging the camera without the SD card. I'll test it today.

> What's the SD card used?

I'm using the one included in the GoPro Hero 8 Black bundle.

Please check the picture attached.

GoPro Hero 8 Black - SD Card.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue as well.  I purchased three NEW Hero8's for flying. I have used them on three separate occasions.  I recorded with the battery source only the first two times and the "freezing" didn't happen.  Yesterday, I recorded with fully charged batteries and also had power supplied while recording.  Recording worked fine initially, but when I stopped recording, it wouldn't turn back on.  I had to remove the battery on all three to get them to turn on (I do realize now that I can hold the power down for 10 sec).  This was not an isolated camera issue, but rather all three cameras had the exact same issue. One of the camera's had the media mod attached to it.   Super frustrating on so many levels.  Was also frustrating to deal with while flying.  I really need this corrected so I can use the product as designed. 

SD card Specs for all three cameras: SanDisk 256GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA