Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 8 freezing while charging

[ New ]

Same problem here. Brand new Hero8. Both front and rear LEDs stay on after charging; must remove the battery to solve problem. Did I mention the camera is brand new? Considering returning it. Good job, GoPro! Oh, before I forget to mention, the camera is brand new... SMFH...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @litheboost4261

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Surely this is not the experience we want you to have as GoPro customers.

If you have gone through the steps shared above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat session with one of our representatives.

As this is a recent purchase, you may also reach out to the same store/channel you got the camera from.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you Ej. Honestly I don't have the time nor patience to stay on the phone (likely hold) for an extended time with tech support likely only be told to send the camera back and receive a replacement with the same problem... Another member already posted his "Brand New" camera exhibits the same behavior. How about someone from tech support getting on this thread and confirming this is a hardware or firmware issue and what they're doing to fix it!
Hiker

[ New ]

A quick update.  After doing a manual firmware update on my Hero8, the front and back LEDs do go out at some point (although I cannot confirm that that coinsides with the battery being full because I haven't watched the camera charge).  However, I still need to physically remove the battery to be able to turn the camera on.  Now, that is not a tragedy, because to get to charge the --bleep-- thing you need open the battery compartment door anyway, but I shouldn't need to do that.  Any chance someone from the tech department could chime in about plans to mitigate the issue?  Please do forward it to them if need be; might be an easy fix and they might simply not know this is even happening.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @marssivpilot and @litheboost4261. We have already shared this with the Product team and are looking to determine what could be causing such an issue. 

By any chance, have you been able to try using a different SD card, or without an SD card on the camera? If you have tried with different SD cards, may we know which ones you've used? The brand, type and capacity information will be helpful. Many thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I can certianly provide you with that information.  I've been using it exlusively with the SanDisk Extreme 32GB which came as part of the currenly running offer.  I will try charging the camera with another SD card in and with no card and reply with my findings.

GoPro

[ New ]

This would be great, @litheboost4261. Thank you for the details that you provided. We hope to hear back from you once you have more findings. Thanks again!

Hiker

[ New ]

Just another piece of evidence for you guys.  The exact same thing happens to the Hero8 when it finishes charging to 100% with Transcend Premium 8GB and without any SD card at all.  The medium seems to make no difference.