Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 8 freezing while charging

[ New ]

Hi everyone,

Just bought my first gopro, its on the last update. 

Sd card formatted

The cam is freezing while charging. The led stay on forever, and after i disconnect the plug, i cant turn on the cam... I have to remove the battery and start again... 

Any help on this matter?

Thanks

GoPro

Re: Hero 8 freezing while charging

[ New ]

Hi @swifthero85870

How was the last update done?

We recommend running the update manually.

Please follow the steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Once the update is completed, reset the camera to its factory settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I did the update manually, and just perform the reset.

Still the same bug... red led is locked; charge stop randomly... (not full)

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that you continue to observe the same issue, @swifthero85870. In this case, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team for further troubleshooting. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the exactly same problem with you.
Do you managed to solve the problem?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @aryop06. Have a go at the recommended troubleshooting steps. They should help clear the issue. If not, let our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs assist you with the next steps. You can connect with them by chat or callback request. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, not solved :(

I have to contact support, then change the cam I guess? lots of time wasting that I dont have .. But guessing by the number of complain, we are not sure its a hardware bug?...

Tourist

[ New ]

I usually charge with the GoPro turned off with an external power adapter that supports the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 (though it is still compatible with a standard USB charging 5V-2.4A.

When the battery charge reaches around 88%-91%, the battery charging indicator start to blink several times and then it is turned on by itself. Then, the it stops charging the battery.

However, when I charge the GoPro from a laptop USB port, this strange behaviour (self turned-on) is not happening and the battery can be charged until it's full.

I suppose if the GoPro Hero 8 is NOT compatible with a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 USB charger?

I don't know if I charge it with the QC 3.0 though.

Nomad

[ New ]

This (sometimes) happens to me, however you don't need to remove the battery to fix this, you just need to hold down the power button on the camera (mode button located on the side) for 10 seconds and release.  Then the camera will start up normally.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem as well - VERY frustrating!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @marssivpilot

Were you able to try the steps shared above?

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, same result. Do not believe this is a hardware issue... Software/firmware likely and should have been resolved long ago.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes it would be nice to get a proper answer from GoPro on this matter.

This is not a brand new cam anymore!

- have you identified this problem?
- are all the camera affected?

- are you working on a firmware fix soon?

Really it looks like I'm using a cheap aliexprss cam ... This is not the kind of quality I'm looking when I'm buying GoPro brand.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issue with a camera bought a few of weeks ago.

I did what @irishmanpdx said in https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-8-freezing-while-charging/m-p/633057#M150375 about holding for 10 seconds and it works.

However, I agree that this shouldn't be the expected behaviour.
Also, I need to add that this has happened every time I charged the camera (4 times up to now).
Nomad

[ New ]

This can be caused by power fluctuations in the charger itself.  For instance the issue I described with the red light staying on only happens when I power via a 6 slot USB charging hub (not a data hub).  I usually have other devices plugged in or charging at the same time and being a "smart" hub it varies power to each USB slot to speed up charging.  I can only assume that the smart charger and smart battery are not playing nice with eachother.  There seems to be an increase in this behaviour if I have the media mod attached.  This can also sometimes result in a dead rear screen on the GoPro itself requiring  several reboots and battery removals to fix.

So a lot of this can be attributed to my bad charging habits in that regard, I don't have the issue just swapping batteries that I charge in the official GoPro charger.  No red light then.

However folding fingers, removing the media mod, swapping battery, replacing media mod, folding back out fingers... it can just be a lot of bother sometimes hence my use of a 6 port charger.

Also running GoPro labs firmware so not sure how well that's been tested for any compatability issues after all, it is a beta.

Tourist

[ New ]

Happens regardless of the charger I use...  At my desk or on my motorcycle.  Most frustrating is trying to use on my motorcycle with external power applied (battery inserted) if the power from the USB charger is interrupted (e.g. stopping for fuel) it requires holding down for 10 sec (reboot) in order to power back on and only then will it connect to the GoPro remote again.  I see a lot of complaints online about the GoPro remote losing connection, but frankly believe this is related to the camera itself.  I also have a hero session 5 and this never happens...  Tried the latest beta firmware as well and still have the same problem.  Agree we others - Would not expect this from a premiere action camera manufacturer for something so simple.  Frankly disappointing!  And still crickets from GoPro….

Hiker

[ New ]

Same problem here. Brand new Hero8. Both front and rear LEDs stay on after charging; must remove the battery to solve problem. Did I mention the camera is brand new? Considering returning it. Good job, GoPro! Oh, before I forget to mention, the camera is brand new... SMFH...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @litheboost4261

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Surely this is not the experience we want you to have as GoPro customers.

If you have gone through the steps shared above and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat session with one of our representatives.

As this is a recent purchase, you may also reach out to the same store/channel you got the camera from.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you Ej. Honestly I don't have the time nor patience to stay on the phone (likely hold) for an extended time with tech support likely only be told to send the camera back and receive a replacement with the same problem... Another member already posted his "Brand New" camera exhibits the same behavior. How about someone from tech support getting on this thread and confirming this is a hardware or firmware issue and what they're doing to fix it!
Hiker

[ New ]

A quick update.  After doing a manual firmware update on my Hero8, the front and back LEDs do go out at some point (although I cannot confirm that that coinsides with the battery being full because I haven't watched the camera charge).  However, I still need to physically remove the battery to be able to turn the camera on.  Now, that is not a tragedy, because to get to charge the --bleep-- thing you need open the battery compartment door anyway, but I shouldn't need to do that.  Any chance someone from the tech department could chime in about plans to mitigate the issue?  Please do forward it to them if need be; might be an easy fix and they might simply not know this is even happening.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @marssivpilot and @litheboost4261. We have already shared this with the Product team and are looking to determine what could be causing such an issue. 

By any chance, have you been able to try using a different SD card, or without an SD card on the camera? If you have tried with different SD cards, may we know which ones you've used? The brand, type and capacity information will be helpful. Many thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I can certianly provide you with that information.  I've been using it exlusively with the SanDisk Extreme 32GB which came as part of the currenly running offer.  I will try charging the camera with another SD card in and with no card and reply with my findings.

GoPro

[ New ]

This would be great, @litheboost4261. Thank you for the details that you provided. We hope to hear back from you once you have more findings. Thanks again!

Hiker

[ New ]

Just another piece of evidence for you guys.  The exact same thing happens to the Hero8 when it finishes charging to 100% with Transcend Premium 8GB and without any SD card at all.  The medium seems to make no difference.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks! @litheboost4261

We'll have this shared with the team.

We'll post back for updates.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I tried charging the camera and I still have the same issue.

A few comments that may be important:

* Firmware version: v1.60

* The battery wasn't fully charged.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ipeluffo, just to clarify, do you get the same results without the SD card in the camera? What's the SD card used?

Hiker

[ New ]

Don't want to be anagonistic, but how does it matter if it happens without the SD card?  The camera should be chargeable with or without the card.  It's not rocket science, guys...  it's just charging the battery.  Is it a software or hardware issue?  As customers we deserve transparency!

GoPro

[ New ]

@litheboost4261, yes, the camera should be chargeable with or without the SD card in it. I asked if the same result happens without the SD card to further isolate the problem. There were several instances where faulty SD cards (recommended or not) cause issues in the camera.

Moreover, using SD cards that aren't recommended can cause issues like freezing as the card isn't fast enough to write the content, the camera getting hot or battery consumption is higher than normal as the camera stays in an active mode trying to sync to the card. 

If the problem is with the firmware, then manually reinstalling it should resolve the issue.

Anyhow if the problem persists in spite of going over the suggested troubleshooting steps and using a recommended charger (5V 2A output), the best way to move forward is to get in touch with our Support Team so they can assist you further with the next process.

Hiker

[ New ]

As I've noted before, manually installing the latest firmware does not solve the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez ,

> do you get the same results without the SD card in the camera?

I haven't tried charging the camera without the SD card. I'll test it today.

> What's the SD card used?

I'm using the one included in the GoPro Hero 8 Black bundle.

Please check the picture attached.

GoPro Hero 8 Black - SD Card.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue as well.  I purchased three NEW Hero8's for flying. I have used them on three separate occasions.  I recorded with the battery source only the first two times and the "freezing" didn't happen.  Yesterday, I recorded with fully charged batteries and also had power supplied while recording.  Recording worked fine initially, but when I stopped recording, it wouldn't turn back on.  I had to remove the battery on all three to get them to turn on (I do realize now that I can hold the power down for 10 sec).  This was not an isolated camera issue, but rather all three cameras had the exact same issue. One of the camera's had the media mod attached to it.   Super frustrating on so many levels.  Was also frustrating to deal with while flying.  I really need this corrected so I can use the product as designed. 

SD card Specs for all three cameras: SanDisk 256GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA

Tourist

[ New ]
THIS!! How many times do they need to hear this...? Hard to imagine GoPro is just finding about this. Complete fail as many use applications require the use of external power!! And stop asking about the F&$king SD cards being used!
Tourist

[ New ]

I don't see any kind of progress or interest from GoPro in this matter... 

if only I'd see this topics before buying... complete lost of time and money.

i can't believe it! Even the cheap xiaomi cam are getting more bug updates!

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm inclined to agree.  If the camera freezes after being charged to 100% and it's not an isolatd incident, if points to quality control neglect.  GoPro has two current cameras.  Is that too many to test properly before releasing to market?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your HERO8 Black camera. We are seeing a number of issues reported through this thread: 

• Red LED not turning off even if the battery is already fully charged (100%), camera does not power on
  • Battey could not be fully charged (does not reach 100%)
  • Camera freezing when recording while connected to an external power source (with or without battery?)

Are you all experiencing these issues? Based on the information that were provided, we gather that: 

• It does not matter which charger is used (recommend output is 5V, 1-2A).
  • It does not matter whether or not the SD card is in.
  • It does not matter which SD card is used (cards used are recommended and formatted). 
  • It does not matter which firmware the HERO8 Black camera is on (1.6, 1.7, or 1.9)
  • It does not matter how the update was done (manually or not). 
  • A battery pull almost always resolves the issues mentioned above.
  • Pressing and holding the Mode button for at least 10 seconds helps power the camera on.

Has everyone checked on these?  We are trying to narrow down possible causes so we can replicate what you are observing on your end.

It is only when there is an established (unexpected) behavior that we are able to push for an update or a fix. We have tried replicating the issue with the known variables but we did not observe them with the cameras that we used.

We rely on you for feedback so we appreciate the details you have shared so far. We hope to hear back from you for a confirmation of the above items so we can present this to the Product team once more. Thank you!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya , I can confirm the things below:

Issues:

1. Red LED not turning off even if the battery is already fully charged (100%), camera does not power on
  2. Battey could not be fully charged (does not reach 100%)

Details:

• It does not matter which charger is used (recommend output is 5V, 1-2A).
  • It does not matter whether or not the SD card is in.
  • It does not matter which firmware the HERO8 Black camera is on (1.6, 1.7, or 1.9) <= I'm using 1.6 since that's the last version I see here: https://gopro.com/en/gb/update/hero8-black
  • A battery pull almost always resolves the issues mentioned above.
  • Pressing and holding the Mode button for at least 10 seconds helps power the camera on.

Thanks and look forward to receiving an update on this.

Hiker

[ New ]

My earlier post already explains the circumstances under which this bug manifests itself.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the confirmation, @ipeluffo, and @litheboost4261. If you haven't yet, please connect with our Support team so they can assist you with further troubleshooting. We'd like to isolate the issue further by checking on the battery. When you get to Support, please direct them to this thread so they will know what you have already performed in terms of troubleshooting. 

In case you are unable to connect at once, you may change the location to the US, if not yet set as such. Do this through the dropdown menu on the upper-right portion of the page. 

If you choose to request a callback and you do not receive a call in a few minutes' time, please provide us the case number (will be generated the moment you request a callback) so we can follow up with Support. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Many thanks!