Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 8 freezing while charging

THIS!! How many times do they need to hear this...? Hard to imagine GoPro is just finding about this. Complete fail as many use applications require the use of external power!! And stop asking about the F&$king SD cards being used!
Highlighted
Tourist

I don't see any kind of progress or interest from GoPro in this matter... 

if only I'd see this topics before buying... complete lost of time and money.

i can't believe it! Even the cheap xiaomi cam are getting more bug updates!

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm inclined to agree.  If the camera freezes after being charged to 100% and it's not an isolatd incident, if points to quality control neglect.  GoPro has two current cameras.  Is that too many to test properly before releasing to market?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your HERO8 Black camera. We are seeing a number of issues reported through this thread: 

• Red LED not turning off even if the battery is already fully charged (100%), camera does not power on
  • Battey could not be fully charged (does not reach 100%)
  • Camera freezing when recording while connected to an external power source (with or without battery?)

Are you all experiencing these issues? Based on the information that were provided, we gather that: 

• It does not matter which charger is used (recommend output is 5V, 1-2A).
  • It does not matter whether or not the SD card is in.
  • It does not matter which SD card is used (cards used are recommended and formatted). 
  • It does not matter which firmware the HERO8 Black camera is on (1.6, 1.7, or 1.9)
  • It does not matter how the update was done (manually or not). 
  • A battery pull almost always resolves the issues mentioned above.
  • Pressing and holding the Mode button for at least 10 seconds helps power the camera on.

Has everyone checked on these?  We are trying to narrow down possible causes so we can replicate what you are observing on your end.

It is only when there is an established (unexpected) behavior that we are able to push for an update or a fix. We have tried replicating the issue with the known variables but we did not observe them with the cameras that we used.

We rely on you for feedback so we appreciate the details you have shared so far. We hope to hear back from you for a confirmation of the above items so we can present this to the Product team once more. Thank you!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @mariustanya , I can confirm the things below:

Issues:

1. Red LED not turning off even if the battery is already fully charged (100%), camera does not power on
  2. Battey could not be fully charged (does not reach 100%)

Details:

• It does not matter which charger is used (recommend output is 5V, 1-2A).
  • It does not matter whether or not the SD card is in.
  • It does not matter which firmware the HERO8 Black camera is on (1.6, 1.7, or 1.9) <= I'm using 1.6 since that's the last version I see here: https://gopro.com/en/gb/update/hero8-black
  • A battery pull almost always resolves the issues mentioned above.
  • Pressing and holding the Mode button for at least 10 seconds helps power the camera on.

Thanks and look forward to receiving an update on this.

Highlighted
Hiker

My earlier post already explains the circumstances under which this bug manifests itself.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the confirmation, @ipeluffo, and @litheboost4261. If you haven't yet, please connect with our Support team so they can assist you with further troubleshooting. We'd like to isolate the issue further by checking on the battery. When you get to Support, please direct them to this thread so they will know what you have already performed in terms of troubleshooting. 

In case you are unable to connect at once, you may change the location to the US, if not yet set as such. Do this through the dropdown menu on the upper-right portion of the page. 

If you choose to request a callback and you do not receive a call in a few minutes' time, please provide us the case number (will be generated the moment you request a callback) so we can follow up with Support. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Many thanks!