Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 freezing while charging

[ New ]

This (sometimes) happens to me, however you don't need to remove the battery to fix this, you just need to hold down the power button on the camera (mode button located on the side) for 10 seconds and release.  Then the camera will start up normally.

Tourist

[ New ]
Same problem as well - VERY frustrating!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @marssivpilot

Were you able to try the steps shared above?

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, same result. Do not believe this is a hardware issue... Software/firmware likely and should have been resolved long ago.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes it would be nice to get a proper answer from GoPro on this matter.

This is not a brand new cam anymore!

- have you identified this problem?
- are all the camera affected?

- are you working on a firmware fix soon?

Really it looks like I'm using a cheap aliexprss cam ... This is not the kind of quality I'm looking when I'm buying GoPro brand.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same issue with a camera bought a few of weeks ago.

I did what @irishmanpdx said in https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-8-freezing-while-charging/m-p/633057#M150375 about holding for 10 seconds and it works.

However, I agree that this shouldn't be the expected behaviour.
Also, I need to add that this has happened every time I charged the camera (4 times up to now).
Nomad

[ New ]

This can be caused by power fluctuations in the charger itself.  For instance the issue I described with the red light staying on only happens when I power via a 6 slot USB charging hub (not a data hub).  I usually have other devices plugged in or charging at the same time and being a "smart" hub it varies power to each USB slot to speed up charging.  I can only assume that the smart charger and smart battery are not playing nice with eachother.  There seems to be an increase in this behaviour if I have the media mod attached.  This can also sometimes result in a dead rear screen on the GoPro itself requiring  several reboots and battery removals to fix.

So a lot of this can be attributed to my bad charging habits in that regard, I don't have the issue just swapping batteries that I charge in the official GoPro charger.  No red light then.

However folding fingers, removing the media mod, swapping battery, replacing media mod, folding back out fingers... it can just be a lot of bother sometimes hence my use of a 6 port charger.

Also running GoPro labs firmware so not sure how well that's been tested for any compatability issues after all, it is a beta.

Tourist

[ New ]

Happens regardless of the charger I use...  At my desk or on my motorcycle.  Most frustrating is trying to use on my motorcycle with external power applied (battery inserted) if the power from the USB charger is interrupted (e.g. stopping for fuel) it requires holding down for 10 sec (reboot) in order to power back on and only then will it connect to the GoPro remote again.  I see a lot of complaints online about the GoPro remote losing connection, but frankly believe this is related to the camera itself.  I also have a hero session 5 and this never happens...  Tried the latest beta firmware as well and still have the same problem.  Agree we others - Would not expect this from a premiere action camera manufacturer for something so simple.  Frankly disappointing!  And still crickets from GoPro….