Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 8 footage stuttering/choppy with HEVC enabled

Hello,

I would like to continue this thread, but it does not allow me to reply to it anymore:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-Hero-8-Stuttering-Choppy-Video-Problem/td-p/435259?trMo...

I have found out the problem. Its the HEVC setting. Whenever you set your camera to 4k and enable HEVC only, footage will get stutter every time. When you switch back to H264 + HEVC option, footage is fine.

This is probably bug in firmware or camera itself. I could reproduce this problem with 3 different cameras/batteries and different SD cards (all supported by GoPro). Please note that my PC, notebook and TV do playback different HEVC without any problem and it is not playback issue. My PC has HW support for HEVC as well as my TV.

I have contacted GoPro supprt but they are not able to resolve this issue and they do not communicate well with me

Any ideas what to do? (HEVC was one of main reasons why I bought GoPro 8)

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 footage stuttering/choppy with HEVC enabled

Thanks, Bravo, Great find
Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks @kwokenzie

We'll have this shared with the team.

Can you also help us with the following information: Camera version,  SD card.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 

Hero8 version 01.60.00.

SD Cards: SanDisk Extreme PRO and Samsung Evo Plus (and various other SD cards)

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks! @kwokenzie

We'll get back to you once we have an update.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@kwokenzie I have had once a while the same choppy footages since with the HEVC only enabled (because my Samsung 4K TV cannot play back H.264 2.7K/30). I will try using H.264+HEVC for my mostly setting of 4K/30L with hypersmooth High from now on just to advoid the choppy footages. Everything is best with Hero 8 so far(apart from low light and battery drain even off), only this once a while choppy thing bothers me a lot. I have looked through the intenet and youtube for months with no solutions, and hopefully by changing it back to H.264 can solve this things from happening again. It will be too good to have this solved, deep thanks for your finding.

Highlighted
Hiker

Try 4k@30fps with HEVC only. Try to record footage about 30 minutes long and you should be able to replicate my problem. I was able to do so with 3 different cameras.

Highlighted
Hiker

Any update on this please? I have this problem since beggining and Tech Support is not able to help or refund my camera. I am in contact with Tech support for several months, they sent me 2 new cameras and now they say "We are waiting for technical team". I bought this camera because of HEVC and 4K recordings but it is to no use for me due to this problem.