Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 8 cant charge while recording , This is terrible !

Ok this may have been a little naive of me to assume it could do this but come on , I don't think I've ever owned a digital camera that couldn't.
I've just got my Hero 8 and thought it would be an upgrade from my Yi 4K+ but maybe I was wrong. I usually attach a huge backup battery to my action camera's to get uninterrupted recording of several hours. The built in batteries just cant handle long usage and I can't be checking them every half an hour and switching out batteries I want to leave it recording and forget about it until i'm done.
This was easy with my last two Yi cameras, how is it not working with the GoPro Hero 8, they are supposed to be the top of the line cameras and cost over double that of the Yi 4K+.The only way I have found to do this is to remove the battery entirely and then it will power via the backup battery plugged into the Type C port. But if the battery is present it will not power from the backup battery or charge the internal battery from the backup. Please someone tell me there's another way, I don't want to run without the battery in the Gopro in case I want to disconnect while recording and move around without stopping the recording, inserting the battery and start recording again. If I have to do this I may miss that vital moment that I want to capture.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 8 cant charge while recording , This is terrible !

it shoudl be able to do this, sounds like a firmware issue.

Has there been a firmware update yet? and if so did you update your camera?

Highlighted
Nomad

Try pulling the battery out and run it from your external power supply, you don't need the battery in there anyways and the cam will run cooler without the battery inserted and continously being charged.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Yes the camera bat will be green when a powerbank is inserted and over time the percentage of the gopro will drop   as   the surge is needed to run certain features, as I shown a 2 plus hour test clip 10% was lost  ofthe bat  while the powerbank ran.  gopro finally is working towards  bipassing correctly.

Highlighted
Hiker

He is saying that in order for the camera to work he needs to take the battery out the camera. Seems like the same issue with the hero 7
Highlighted
Nomad

I didn't see that you had tried running
Without the battery sorry

But why would you have to disconnect
The external source to move around?
I just use a longer cable and put the usb
Power bank in my pocket or whatever.
Highlighted
Nomad

That's better than the h7, when i have
The battery and power bank it will drain
The battery fully in 4 hours and then shut
Off even though the power bank still has 75% charge.
That's why i just pull the battery completely as everything works fine that way. Now keep in mind I have not tried this recently so it might
Work better now.
Highlighted
Hiker

@neilhester wrote:

Ok this may have been a little naive of me to assume it could do this but come on , I don't think I've ever owned a digital camera that couldn't.
I've just got my Hero 8 and thought it would be an upgrade from my Yi 4K+ but maybe I was wrong. I usually attach a huge backup battery to my action camera's to get uninterrupted recording of several hours. The built in batteries just cant handle long usage and I can't be checking them every half an hour and switching out batteries I want to leave it recording and forget about it until i'm done.
This was easy with my last two Yi cameras, how is it not working with the GoPro Hero 8, they are supposed to be the top of the line cameras and cost over double that of the Yi 4K+.The only way I have found to do this is to remove the battery entirely and then it will power via the backup battery plugged into the Type C port. But if the battery is present it will not power from the backup battery or charge the internal battery from the backup. Please someone tell me there's another way, I don't want to run without the battery in the Gopro in case I want to disconnect while recording and move around without stopping the recording, inserting the battery and start recording again. If I have to do this I may miss that vital moment that I want to capture.

Ok..  I'm a bit confused.  I've had my 8 since the first week of December.  So I'm still experimenting.  I use mine mostly as a dash cam right now.  The other day, I had to take about a 2 hour drive.  I set it on timewarp, which turned out wonderful.  But Still, it ran for about 2 hours.  I never removed my internal battery which was about 80% when I started out.  I connected a power cable to the USB C and ran it off my USB power from my truck.  During the entire drive, the internal battery remained in the camera.  At the end of my drive, I checked my camera and the battery was still at 80%.  I stopped filming and left the camera plugged in for about 2 hours.  When I came back out, my battery was at 100%.  Drove the 2 hours back home and the battery was still at 100% when I got home.  During this trip, the internal battery stayed in the camera.

I don't know about yours, but mine runs off the exernal battery with the internal battery still mounted inside.  Sure, it doesn't charge the internal, but the external is running the camera the entire time.  

External battery running the camera, internal battery still in the bay.  I can unplug the Type C while filming, and the internal battery takes over.  Run it for a while, plug the Type C back in and the external takes over without interupting the filming.  I've never had to remove the internal battery to run it off external power.  I just can't CHARGE the internal WHILE Filming.  

I can run mine off external power until the external is dead, unplug the external, plug in another external and keep right on going uninterrupted with the internal still in the bay  Not that I have a need or even an SD card big enough for that.