Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 8 cannot handle cold weather

[ New ]

A few weeks ago I went to Steamboat, CO with my hero 8, eager to try it out. The first day I fully charged it, and on the way up the gondola on the first run, it died. Mind you, it was a semi warm day and inside the gondola. I read through the forums and the next day I kept the gopro warm until I wanted to use it. I took it out to film a clip and it was at half battery. I put it on my helmet and skied for a few minutes. After hitting the stop button, I looked and saw the gopro had turned off. It wouldn't start back up. The only thing that jump started it was taking out the battery and putting it back in. Even then, it would display 5 ish percent then die immediately. The only day I could use it was when it was 40+ F and sunny, and it still died after 20 minutes. Took another trip a week later and same thing. Couldn't record. The few clips I did get got corrupted and the Gopro said I had to wipe the sd card.

In contrast, my old hero 5 was a tank in cold weather. The screen would literally be encased in ice and still record. I regret to say I might be switching back to the hero 5 if I can't get this hero 8 to work in the cold. Very dissappointed with this purchase.

Is this just a problem with the Hero8? How is this an action camera that can't turn on in the winter? Should I get a new battery? Maybe try to exchange it for a new one?

GoPro

Re: Hero 8 cannot handle cold weather

[ New ]

Hello, @spirysurf03668. In colder temperatures, the main concern is reduced battery life. For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. Do you recall which settings your HERO8 Black was using at that time?

Below are some tips that you may consider to improve camera performance in cold temperatures: 

• Use a fresh (new) fully charged battery; older batteries lose capacity over time and cycling.
  • Charge battery shortly before using it; batteries slowly lose charge after charging.
  • Use only genuine GoPro batteries; 3rd party batteries have much lower capacity at high discharge rates.
  • Keep the battery and, ideally, the whole camera warm (in pocket) until used; the camera acts as an insulator to the outside cold and as it heats up, it will heat up the battery.
  • Turn on the camera (in your pocket) before you need to use it, within reason.
  • Have/use multiple fully charged (warm) batteries; partially charged batteries perform worse in cold.
  • Record at the lowest resolution and frame rates; lowering the power demand reduces the initial voltage dip and makes the usable capacity go further.
Sightseer

Re: Hero 8 cannot handle cold weather

[ New ]

J'ai exactement le même problème que vous. J'ai ma Hero8 depuis 8 mois seulement. Avez-vous contacté le service à la clientèle? La mienne doit être encore sous garantie. C'est un défaut majeur à ce que je vois.