Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Hero 8 black who is now in or out

[ New ]

well the site  should have at least updated a hero 8 black  tag but anyways who is in and out

Tourist

Re: Hero 8 black who is now in or out

[ New ]

Depends if it works.  If GoPro did nothing else with the Hero 8 other than release a camera that has been properly tested, and has all the problems fixed (especially the dreadful image quality), I would go out and buy one.

I bought the Hero 4 and have kept it despite several important problems with it, because the image quality is great.

I've been wanting a new GoPro camera for several years, but each time I purchase one it is immediately returned to the shop due to major issues.  I know there are working GoPro cameras, but it seems to be a lottery regarding whether you receive one or not.

The GoPro 7 was the biggest let down for me.  The features (especially image stabilisation) are really amazing, but what good are features if the quality is so bad the video is unusable?

Please GoPro, just for once forget about new features, and just release a fully working model that has been tested before it leaves the factory !

Hiker

[ New ]

Hy!

The latest firmware(1.80) in the Hero7 as been working good for me. There are a few kinks,but menageable.

The new Hero8 brings some structural changes(the mount/battery door/no HDMI also) but the great and most important ones to me are in the software part(Hypersmoth2 and available in all modes for ex). Can they be ported to the Hero7? probably.Will they do that...probably not. 

Does the new Hero8 brings any changes in the sensors or internal Hardware?

I believe that for those with the Hero7 it doesn't make it worth the Upgrade, but for others...its definitely a good buy,on a now more mature product (that the hero 7 was) 

Hiker

[ New ]

How about a big discount for us users of battery draining and freezing Hero 7 cameras?

Adventurer

[ New ]

Hypersmooth 2.0  boost  adding crop   we asked how many times for EIS to be corrected and  seems we even asked for Linear and gopr o sure did listen they made a new  camera wit hteh features because that is what  we al lwanted in the Hero 7 .  If gopro is Listening

We want Linear in 4K of the Hero 7 it is possible as the hero 8 just got it,

We want Boost   as the Same GP-1 chip got it.

not a new camera.  

As  this falls on def ears.

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately, I feel it's the same story each time a new model is released.  It seems to be rushed out before being properly tested, resulting in large numbers of unhappy people reporting problems, and a very long wait for the possible appearance of a patch that ends up solving only some of the problems.  GoPro then bring a new camera out (with different issues) while people are still having big problems with the previous model.

GoPro should spend longer testing their cameras before producing and selling them.  I wish it were otherwise, but I just expect each new camera to have lots of problems now.  I really hope that GoPro get their act together, or they'll be overtaken by the first competitor that comes along with a good image, similar features and no problems.

Nomad

[ New ]

They didn't make it easy for me that's for sure............   I need a camera with EIS that's for sure.  I have 2 x Fusions and I like the new features of the Max sure, but I want to see more specs on it first.  So I'm leaning towards the 8 black at the moment.  I do like the new Timewarp features (slowing down to realtime at the push of a button) and the custom presets.  

But **bleep**, I love shooting 360 and the best features here are the fact that it also has timewarp (but maybe not the same feature timewarp as the 8??) and the fact that the workflow has been sped up with in camera stitching.........    

Someone wanna help me out with the decision tree on this one?

Hiker

[ New ]

I think im going to skip on this one..

Not because its a new product and it can do more than my hero 7 black and "maybe" better.. but simply because the after sales problems ive had from 2 hero 7 blacks being stolen in transit and 6 months + of going through the motions of getting my money back and being lied to constantly by support saying ive already been paid when i hadnt, getting my cases mixed up and amost resorting to legal action just to get my money back from them.. ordering online for the camera is no longer an option and ive lost trust in that respect, not even a sorry from the company for being lied to just a customer satisaction survey they asked me to fill. i know im not the only one in the world who has gone through so many hoops with the same issues

so for that reason.. i am out

Hiker

[ New ]

My experience with GoPro Hero 7 White has been so bad I will never purchase an item from them again. Since I have a 7 white i may do a trade up if the deal makes sense.  But for now the additional money can purchase a far better camera than the Black.  What is really strange to me is the willingness of GoPro Customers to accept and work around so many issues and keep buying the products.   I am sorrtpy but a product that has a high % of not functioning each time you attempt to use it  is a defective product.  It's not a quirk or a little bug. It's a camer. If it doesn't take pictures or videosit does nothing.  Also the service and support GoPro provides is not good.    the excuse that this is the base model is nonsense.  It should still function!  

Hiker

[ New ]
Let's hope they release the new V8 firmware for the v7. That would bring some trust back to existing customers that products are actively maintained rather than dropped after a year
Hiker

[ New ]

I won't buy it, too. There's no guarantee it will work flawlessly. And we all know if it doesn't - you're on your own.

All the suggestions we made here (presets, linear 4K etc.) - they took them and put them into a new model. There's absolutely no reason why presets are not a thing on Hero 7.

Tourist

[ New ]

The formula isn't hard : 

1. Test a product to death prior to production until you're sure you've ironed out any major kinks.  It's always possible to have a small issue or two that you never thought about testing for, but a lot of the problems with the cameras are pretty serious and obvious ones.
  2. Provide good after-sales support, including for models prior to the latest one.  Customers don't mind too much if they find they have a problem with the camera, when the company quickly admits to the issue and promptly corrects it for the customer.

It feels like GoPro concentrate solely on trying to release the latest greatest feature set, and don't pay much attention to the above.

I don't know how else to explain the big problems encountered on every model.

Tourist

Betreff: Hero 8 black who is now in or out

[ New ]
I ordered the gopro 8. but I have not received any e-Mail , my account does not make money and I can not find it in the order finder. however, there is an order confirmation with a number that was successful. this is a screenshot.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'll wait for a sale (if ever). The features like the stabilization "boost" is something we asked for since the competition used it. I don't know why it wouldn't be possible with the 7. It's got the same chip, throw us a bone here.

Backpacker

[ New ]

as the Hero 8 is physically bigger than the Hero 7, i'm guessing despite using the same GP1 chip they have done a lot more hardware changes

Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I want to be in but I can't even get one pre-ordered. Been working with support all day and they can't figure out why I am unable to pre-order a Hero 8 Black. Tried to order on four different device types (desktop, laptop, iPad, and mobile phone) using two different payment methods. The order looks like it goes through half of the time and then goes back to the Hero 8 Black page without any confirmation or it says the order cannot be placed and tells me to call support.

So looks like I might be staying on my older GoPro. I'm here saying "take my money, GoPro" and no one can figure out how to take it.

Adventurer

[ New ]

What stops me at the moment is the RMA that I had to send my camera in again months later.  What I like is the bit rate allowed to increase.  What I do not want to do is buy aftermarket frames today to protect the lens.  Or buy a  two piece vlog kit. What I do not want to do is  put an additional screen on and cover the actual back up. Where GoPro could have figured out a better plan.   Who knows..  maybe the price will jump up or go down. Never pays to be the first one to have it. They say firmware can be something to look forward to.  Don’t hold your breath on it

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm considering getting the 7 Black as it's currently on sale for NZ$498. And I like iJustine's YouTube video of it. 

The 8 Black will be NZ$668 set by Go Pro New Zealand, that's the RRP price they've set for it. But it's not releasing worldwide until what October 20? And the $498 sale ends 6 October. Noel Leeming, NZ. 

Pro's about the 8 is

1. It's newer

2. has a 3 internal mics WITH WIND NOISE REDUCTION 

Cons about the 8 are

1. No hypersmooth in 4k60fps, yet the feature is already available on the Go Pro 7 Black. 

I watched YouTube videos between the two, and the 8 is only marginally better audio wise, but IT DOES reduce the wind noise by quite a bit. And when you dunk the 7 in water, it takes about half a minute for the water to drain from the mono mic before audio returns to it's high normal. 

Hiker

[ New ]

The 8 also seems to have better low light performance too. But I'd like to see 4k60fps Hypersmooth enabled within a few days of the 8's launch. Confirmation of that this week would make me hold of buying the 7 Black in favour of the 8 Black. 

Hiker

[ New ]

GOOD NEWS. I've made my decision. I will be getting the GoPro 8 Black for RRP NZ$668 when it comes out later this month. 

I've done my research thanks to YouTube. Reason being it has better low light performance, better mic system with wind noise reduction, and better mount option so no more need for a mounting bracket. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi

I would like to share with you my personal opinion.

First of all beware - Youtube - where are you watching reviews, benchmarks, tests is full of positive opinions now about GoPro 8 in compare to 7. There is an army of influencers which want to force you to buy a new device. This is normal marketing strategy - "new must be better than old and is the best you need it....for sure". I watched many videos, most of them compare these 2 cameras in some unfair ways. At the end I ll put a link to example "error" video.

Secondly what I see:

- YES - quality of 100Mbits/s in GoPro 8 is outstanding in compare to 7. Sharpness and colors are perfect.

- YES - menu layout and new features are great.

- YES-  8 is better than 7

- NO - Hypersmooth is not better than in 7, mostly invisible diffrent - 8 do bigger crop, you can have the same effect if you just a little zoom in - in 7. Boost = Marketing.

- NO - side doors are the same quality like in 7 no improvments..... still looks and act like cheap plastic part.

- NO - no worth to update from 7 to 8.

Bug videos:

1.He claims 7 on left, 8 on right....yes sure....but in my opinion 7 on right and 8 on left - 7 has flat less color and sharpness videos.

https://youtu.be/hAe1GOm6zmU?t=339

2.What DA FCK - what this test shows ???? Nothing - both are shaking:

https://youtu.be/hAe1GOm6zmU?t=115

3.Totally bul**bleep**: 4:29 - still shaking after trampoline ? LOL yehhh

https://youtu.be/hAe1GOm6zmU?t=264

dont belive him....

GoPro Hero 8 vs Hero 7 - Is their latest action cam a big upgrade? I've been testing the latest GoPro with it's updated design, range of mods, front facing m...
GoPro Hero 8 vs Hero 7 - Is their latest action cam a big upgrade? I've been testing the latest GoPro with it's updated design, range of mods, front facing m...
Explorer

[ New ]
Also, IT DOES have 4K/60fps Hypersmooth. I don't know where you were getting your information about the HERO8 not having Hypersmooth, but this feature is available in ALL recording modes (unlike the HERO7 Black).
Explorer

[ New ]

@goethee 

You should update manually to version 1.8

Adventurer

[ New ]

Any Youtuber you see  from Oct 1st to Oct 20th  (lets say) will  be Sponsors of Go-Pro   Nuff said.  Congrats on your purchase. let us all know how it goes,  I am   going t osee what hte future has in store.

I wonder  if they   simply got HDR video hidden  and down th road you will have the Option to turn it on or off, tied in to Low light, wait why could not Low light  have worked like that  models ago?

We all bitched for more EIS and  you hear now not to use it but drop down  the res.... 

Either way you look at this Go-Pro made another camera, and the camera does not do it all. it has features that some of do not carefor or to much added, we just want "A Camera that will be Stable"

If one membercomes on and cris my camera hero 8 froze, the battery drained, the mic has no audio, you know who to blame, yourself!

not being a Downer or punning Truth hurts and Youtbers  that  tested out this camera are the one's to blame (sounds Harsh) you me, them, tell GoPro FIX this, fix that what they do fix it with a new camera...

DONE  trying to  brainwash ya Lol Called an Opinion so do not get upset.

Explorer

[ New ]
Not sponsored by GoPro, but certain media influencers do get early release models. This doesn't mean all of the reviews are biased. It is always good to have a little skepticism, especially if they have affiliate links, but the specs and performance of HERO8 Black are very impressive.
Adventurer

[ New ]

OH  yes do not get me wrong.  rainMaker did a great job gave you the ups and downs    you  are the one to decide I go in to CircuitCity they Used to be the store where you  try before you buy, but today I go RENT one make my decision on that. then dish out  and pass the 30-day mark and be stuck with one.