Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 8 battery and cold

I got a new GoPro because they said it must have had problems when it got too cold shutting off. I just got a new battery and new GoPro and it was doing fine for a while until randomly shutting down. I thought maybe the camera got too cold. I put in the next battery and it turned back on. Can the battery get too cold even though the camera isn't too cold and shut off? Any fixes?
GoPro

Re: Hero 8 battery and cold

@peppywater05480, sorry to hear about the trouble. The camera's maximum battery capacity will vary based on settings, environmental conditions, and other factors. You may check this article that lists down the estimated runtime (in minutes) of the HERO8 Black camera: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO8-Black-Battery-Information/ta-p/398777

It is important to determine battery integrity to make sure that your camera works smoothly. You may perform a short record time test through the instructions here.
  

Should you get a runtime that is significantly shorter than the expected battery life, despite you using a recommended SD card and the camera being updated to the latest firmware, let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs .  

Hiker

It seems to stay on as long as it's warm, but the cold makes it shut down way early. (confusing because these cameras are designed for the cold)
Wasn't expecting this from the hero 8...
Hiker

Its a well know fact that batteries suffer in the cold and loose the charge of juice in them when really cold. This is all batteries of different types and different electronics even a car battery. If you want the best advice get a 2nd battery keep one in a warm pocket and swap them back and fourth and keep the camera covered and warm when you are not recording. Even a chemical pack handwarmer can help. 

Adventurer

Untitled.png

Adventurer

A Lipo, Lithium, and other batteries work at a Operating tem, so does a camera.  Storingthe battery is as well important, and the protip is incorrect,  GoPro is well aware how the camera battery is to be stored, or the supplier who placed in the battery for gopro to their pkg.  Everyone has charged  the battery, or one person above simply grabbed and go.  his court Geasture remarks will Prove it. pleae forgive hisignorance he is now to the world

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

fishy once again you are rambling gibberish... The people here dont know what "Tem" is nor do they understand your gibberish. So dont keep confusing and wasting peoples time. 

Bottom line here keep the camera warm when you can and keep the battery warm. Use 2 batteries to hot swap them between them getting to cold to operate the camera. Depending on the modes and settings of the camera the demands on the battery can be heavy or lighter which can make a difference also.  Good luck  

P.S. I am sure Fishy will appear with another ramble of half formed words.